• Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    It's official now !
    Dave Smith and the team thank you.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
      I have sat on the sidelines and have taken all entries in. Now I wish to throw in some thoughts: It was a disappointing season. NO ONE disputes that: i think the first order of business is to determine how to go from 6 wins to say 12? Clearly, either a mix of players like these won't get you there or you need a rethinking of what system will work best with players like these. I understand these guys were mostly Seth holdovers (apologies to the players- I dont meant to disparage). And Dave Smith is going to bring in "his" players. But who, exactly, will be those players? Who is in the pool of players available to RPI? I mean, it's not like Seth ignored better players to get the players he did. The competition for the players remaining after the grade A prospects choose where they want to play (let's face it McAvoy chose BU for all intents and purposes, not the other way around) is intense. There are more D1 programs than ever and the likelihood of any one school getting a particular player is less than it ever has been. So I think the challenge, coaching-wise, is to try and create a team that blends well and can implement the coach's system. That is very difficult to do. You have to have tremendous vision to imagine how the players you are choosing will fit into the system you wish to implement. And try and choose players that you think will fit. Not try to make them fit after they get here. All the discussion about in game adjustments is interesting, but at the end of the day, if winning "hinges" on in game adjustments at the end of the year, the blend is just not there. If you are trying to figure out in the last third of the season who should play with who during the game, you are really in trouble. Although I understand matchups based on the other teams players, but that should have been figured out prior to puck drop. So I think the great minds in the game who can step back and "see" how to put the team together and get wins are very rare, indeed. Many coaches given grade A players do pretty well. Half the battle is won before anyone steps on the ice. Seth at USTDP is a case in point. So I don't envy Dave Smith (or Seth Appert) one bit. The question really is: Shirley "promised' she would invest resources into the program. If the fans and supporters have to buy the ipads, that is your answer to that. The women's team asking for yoga mats or Barry Melrose buying them 2nd jersies petty much says it all. Getting better players is all about giving them a reason to WANT to come to RPI. No more, no less. As I see it, we will likely never be a perennial powerhouse. But we can challenge the powerhouse programs fairly regularly. By investing in the team, in the facilities, and by becoming a school higher up on the consideration list than we are currently are. No matter who the coach is ( unless Mike Babcock decides to coach here and players flock to RPI to learn from him), if nothing changes, we should all just tighten our seat belts and expect more of the same.
      A few random comments,

The number of D-I programs has really not changed much in recent years. If Clarkson and Union can have teams in or near the NCAA tourney, why can't we? BU may have access to just about anyone whom they want, but they have been sputtering throughout the season.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As for promising to invest resources, considering we hardly ever saw Coach Graham behind the bench (at least in the games I attended in person), I'd say resources are being invested where they really matter: forward recruiting. The coaches are being expected to bring victories, and the school is doing what they can to make sure the staff has the personnel to be able to achieve this. I'd say a promise is being fulfilled.

I would not hold iPads against the administration, as they already require students to purchase laptops, so they probably think a tablet won't make much of a difference. With the yoga mats, aren't the training facilities still under the jurisdiction of the Student Union? A third jersey only seems like a way to get more butts in the door which is already hard to come by for the women's teams, and how much did attendance rise for when the thirds were worn?

As much as I'm not pleased with the direction the administration is taking the 'tute, it is not just to blame them for the sake of pointing the finger.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          As for promising to invest resources, considering we hardly ever saw Coach Graham behind the bench (at least in the games I attended in person), I'd say resources are being invested where they really matter: forward recruiting. The coaches are being expected to bring victories, and the school is doing what they can to make sure the staff has the personnel to be able to achieve this. I'd say a promise is being fulfilled.

I would not hold iPads against the administration, as they already require students to purchase laptops, so they probably think a tablet won't make much of a difference. With the yoga mats, aren't the training facilities still under the jurisdiction of the Student Union? A third jersey only seems like a way to get more butts in the door which is already hard to come by for the women's teams, and how much did attendance rise for when the thirds were worn?

As much as I'm not pleased with the direction the administration is taking the 'tute, it is not just to blame them for the sake of pointing the finger.
          Also, I think this is basically a D-III sports thing which the D-I sports were included in.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            A few random comments,

The number of D-I programs has really not changed much in recent years. If Clarkson and Union can have teams in or near the NCAA tourney, why can't we? BU may have access to just about anyone whom they want, but they have been sputtering throughout the season.
            Exactly right RB. I don't enjoy referring to it , but Union is a textbook example of this. They have a lousy building and no D1 scholarships yet are a top 4 team every year. They excel at unearthing/identifying non blue chip players (mostly) and then coach the heck out of them. Anything is possible.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Dave Smith and the team thank you.
              Yes they do. 😜 Anonymous donor weighed in with $2,500 gift, so we're in the bonus round now.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Exactly right RB. I don't enjoy referring to it , but Union is a textbook example of this. They have a lousy building and no D1 scholarships yet are a top 4 team every year. They excel at unearthing/identifying non blue chip players (mostly) and then coach the heck out of them. Anything is possible.
                To be fair, Nate Leaman is certainly making himself known to be quite the turnaround coach, as evidenced not only at Union, but also Providence.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  To be fair, Nate Leaman is certainly making himself known to be quite the turnaround coach, as evidenced not only at Union, but also Providence.
                  What's your point? I was giving credit to Union for getting it done despite having limited resources. Bennett is something like 127-66-27 since taking the reigns. Clearly their methods are working.

Comment

What's your point? I was giving credit to Union for getting it done despite having limited resources. Bennett is something like 127-66-27 since taking the reigns. Clearly their methods are working.
                    Wicked-Bennett has indeed taken over a successful program and kept it going without a hiccup. he deserves a lot of credit and i wish we had that situation here. But Leaman took over a program and just completely turned it around and up several notches. Looking back i wish we had hired him if he was available at the time Fridgen was let go. I think he also deserves tremendous credit but probably had the somewhat more diffuclt job to get it all started. In either case, they have both been instrumental in the success of that program.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                      "Stoop to my level."

You're going to insinuate something about me, then not follow up on it? Sounds like you're not even up to my level, honestly. That's disappointing, I always had a great deal of respect for you, but this is the internet equivalent of knocking on someone's door and then running away before the open it. Not brave in the slightest.

I back up what I say. I don't think I need to apologize for that, but perhaps you should consider what you say if you're not willing to stand by it.
                      You seem to think that it is ok to call people names. I don't. It is as simple as that. I am not insinuating anything. I am merely pointing out a difference of opinion.
                      I don't think that bravery has anything to do with it. But you are entitled to your opinion.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        Wicked-Bennett has indeed taken over a successful program and kept it going without a hiccup. he deserves a lot of credit and i wish we had that situation here. But Leaman took over a program and just completely turned it around and up several notches. Looking back i wish we had hired him if he was available at the time Fridgen was let go. I think he also deserves tremendous credit but probably had the somewhat more diffuclt job to get it all started. In either case, they have both been instrumental in the success of that program.
                        There's nothing saying that Smith can't do the same thing. After all, Leaman had a dead last finish during his tenure with #26. One other thing that was a part of their transformation, though, was a change in administrative support. That's still a question mark with us. Given the amount of recruiting that has been happening, it sounds like that was one of the Smith's wishes, and the admins gave him and the staff the money to make it happen. There's also "state of the art" training facilities that were already in place. What other pieces of the puzzle are needed, and will the administration be able to help?

Comment

I was looking at the list of donors to buy IPads for the team. I would think that any player whose parents are listed as donors is just about guaranteed to be returning. If someone was cut from the team or decided to go elsewhere, I would not expect their relatives to make contributions. I don't think that one draw the same conclusion from the donations that the players themselves made. Anyway, that is Richards, Marshall, Polino, and Manley. Also apparent parents of recruits Babichuk, Ferner, and Bendorf have contributed.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Terrible News

Nolan Graham, our assistant coach, was struck by a car last night in the parking lot of Rite Aid in Troy, NY. He was picking up some items with his 8 year old nephew. He was struck by a car driven by an elderly lady that didn't see him as her car was leaving the parking lot. Nolan ensured that his nephew wasn't struck. Nolan was under the car at some point. He was taken to Albany Medical Center last night around 7 pm.

I am sending this email as an update to the 94 hockey alumni email addresses I have and with the approval of Crystal his wife. Please forward this along to any alumni that you know may not be on this list.

An update from Crystal at 5pm was that Nolan is holding the same, which is good. He is on a lot of sedation drugs. These reduce the risk of seizures and other complications from head trauma. He has a couple skull fractures (temporal bone) and a small bleed in his brain. The biggest concern at this time is brain swelling. The full extent won't be known for 2-5 days from the trauma. Right now things are stable with this very serious injury.
                            He isn't allowed visitors and is in the intensive care unit at Albany Medical Center.

For those in the troy area we have a meal plan to take his family meals and Sachi Vines is coordinating this. If you are able to help with this email me and I will connect you with Sachi.

Thank you for keeping Nolan, Crystal and his daughter Ellie in your thoughts. You can call or text me at any time if you have questions.

Be safe,

Dave Smith
                            RPI Men's Hockey
                            Head Coach

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
                              Terrible News
                              Very sad indeed. All the best to them in this troubling time.

Comment

Very sorry to hear this. Best wishes to Nolan and to his family.

Comment

Working...
                                X