X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Sorry, I will never stoop to your level.
    Have a nice day.
    "Stoop to my level."

You're going to insinuate something about me, then not follow up on it? Sounds like you're not even up to my level, honestly. That's disappointing, I always had a great deal of respect for you, but this is the internet equivalent of knocking on someone's door and then running away before the open it. Not brave in the slightest.

I back up what I say. I don't think I need to apologize for that, but perhaps you should consider what you say if you're not willing to stand by it.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Check your math.
      Giving has also slowed down.
      They're within $4..,,I'm giving them the tap in. 😜
      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 03-07-2018, 07:30 AM.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        The forward situation is the most complicated. We have 14 eligible to return, Wiffen, J. Ohrvall, Tironese, Hayhurst, Marrello, Polino, Reisinger, Burgess, E. Ohrvall, Stout, Burke, Jerry, Richards, and Ott. Mike Gornell, a North Dakota transfer, is already on campus. There are seven forwards who are due to arrive in the fall, Ashbrook, Lacka, DiGrande, Bendorf, Linden, Bowman, and Lee. That makes a total of 22 and there could be others whom we know nothing about. I don’t think anyone has suggested that we will keep 22. 15 or 16 seems most likely.

Of the newcomers, DiGrande, Linden, Bowman, and Lee are aging out of juniors and must come. Lacka, Ashbrook, and Bendorf could all go back to juniors. I do think that all will come. Ashbrook has signed a letter of intent which is another indication that he will show up in the fall. We don’t know about the other two. Bendorf already appears in the on-line RPI directory which is a sign that he intends to come. Lacka is the most likely to defer to 2019.

I received some indication of players likely to leave which I won’t mention. Also the Ohrvall brothers have not played much lately which makes me wonder about them. Stout, a late Appert recruit, may leave, but he has played more recently. We heard rumors at the beginning of this year that Hayhurst had to be convinced to stay at RPI. I certainly hope that he stays now. Any of the others could also leave, but it is far from clear to me who is likely.

I am very interested in others’ opinions on this and the previous two posts.
        And now for something that isn't in-fighting...

I assume that the list of forwards is up to date. From the scholarships, Tironese, Wiffen, J. Orvhall, Burgess, Hayhurst, Polino, E. Orvhall, Jerry, Stout according to Norsemen. NLI contract is for one year, so there's no longevity concerns.

The forwards who played less than 2/3 of eligible games include Richards, J. Öhrwall, Stout, Burke (just barely under). Reisinger was just barely over the hump, as was Marrello but he had an injury after the first SLU game until Christmas break. Jerry is the only returning forward who played in every game. I'm not sure if we want to bring Meirs Moore into this discussion as well, given he has played forward for a few of the games that he did, which was also under 2/3. I see a potential vulnerability or two in that list.

The returning forwards who were -10 or lower include Tironese, Wiffen, E. Öhrwall, Marrello. Ott and Reisinger were close with -9 and -8 respectively. I understand that's going to be lower because of our record this year, as the only player in the + was Kyle St. Denis (played after Dartmouth got their touchdown, had a 1.000 SV% on one shot). I don't think this is going to mean much towards who would stay and who would go, but I will put it here in case someone thinks it's important.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          And now for something that isn't in-fighting...

I assume that the list of forwards is up to date. From the scholarships, Tironese, Wiffen, J. Orvhall, Burgess, Hayhurst, Polino, E. Orvhall, Jerry, Stout according to Norsemen. NLI contract is for one year, so there's no longevity concerns.

The forwards who played less than 2/3 of eligible games include Richards, J. Öhrwall, Stout, Burke (just barely under). Reisinger was just barely over the hump, as was Marrello but he had an injury after the first SLU game until Christmas break. Jerry is the only returning forward who played in every game. I'm not sure if we want to bring Meirs Moore into this discussion as well, given he has played forward for a few of the games that he did, which was also under 2/3. I see a potential vulnerability or two in that list.

The returning forwards who were -10 or lower include Tironese, Wiffen, E. Öhrwall, Marrello. Ott and Reisinger were close with -9 and -8 respectively. I understand that's going to be lower because of our record this year, as the only player in the + was Kyle St. Denis (played after Dartmouth got their touchdown, had a 1.000 SV% on one shot). I don't think this is going to mean much towards who would stay and who would go, but I will put it here in case someone thinks it's important.
          I tried very hard to be up to date, but I have made one or two errors in my time. Although Moore played forward, I suspect that he is still penciled in as a defenseman. The log jam at forward is much bigger than that on D.

I went through an analysis like you did about who has played and who has not, and then I threw it out. I think the early part of the season is not important, the important part as I see it is who has been a healthy scratch recently.

And don't worry, this could also lead to in-fighting.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We have six defensemen eligible to return, Moore, Grant, Samec, Manley, Reilly, and Harris. We have four defensemen who are listed to come in the fall, Modry, Babichuk, Ferner, and Hallbauer. Note that Shane Bear who I had listed as a 2018 recruit is not eligible at that time since he played for UMA in the fall.

I suspect that Modry has decommited or was told by the staff that we are no longer interested. He still could come in 2019. Ferner and Hallbauer are 97's and have aged out of juniors. Babichuk could return to juniors, but I expect that he won’t. We could go with 9 defensemen as we have had that many before or one of the existing forwards could be leaving. I heard a rumor in that regard and can’t mention it. Of course we still could have other defensemen whom we don’t know about yet to muddy the situation more. BTW, the three new d-men as well as Bear are all shorter that 6-foot tall which may indicate a direction which Coach Smith is going.

Comments?
            Of the returning D-men, Reilly played in every game, while Moore, Harris, and Manley were under 2/3, and Samec just barely over. Those under -10 include Reilly, Samec, and Grant.

Remember also that Moore has been playing forward to get into the lineup as of late.

Comment

I tried very hard to be up to date, but I have made one or two errors in my time. Although Moore played forward, I suspect that he is still penciled in as a defenseman. The log jam at forward is much bigger than that on D.

I went through an analysis like you did about who has played and who has not, and then I threw it out. I think the early part of the season is not important, the important part as I see it is who has been a healthy scratch recently.

And don't worry, this could also lead to in-fighting.
              Of the last 8 games, 3 were at D, 4 at forward, and 1 scratch. So if anything, the fact that he's a utility player may be what keeps him around, and should also be taken into account on how many in each position we have.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Of the returning D-men, Reilly played in every game, while Moore, Harris, and Manley were under 2/3, and Samec just barely over. Those under -10 include Reilly, Samec, and Grant.

Remember also that Moore has been playing forward to get into the lineup as of late.
                Shane Bear is apparently eligible in January which would add an additional variable to the mix. Someday, I will understand the transfer rule, and when that happens it will be changed.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Shane Bear is apparently eligible in January which would add an additional variable to the mix. Someday, I will understand the transfer rule, and when that happens it will be changed.
                  I think we'll all understand it come January.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    They're within $4..,,I'm giving them the tap in. ��
                    How long before is it before contributions how up? It still shows the team as $4 short. https://impact.rpi.edu/project/4733
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I think the second half evaluation would be the most telling analysis. Coach seemed to play the hot hand, or who he thought could contribute. It was obvious the Ohrvalls have fallen out of favor, but I couldn't tell you the other trends...
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        They're within $4..,,I'm giving them the tap in. 😜
                        Sorry I didn't write more clearly - I meant to say that I'm calling it mission accomplished on the $5k goal --being that they are within $4. I gave earlier, but will pony up the extra $4 to hit the mark officially 😜
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          Sorry I didn't write more clearly - I meant to say that I'm calling it mission accomplished on the $5k goal --being that they are within $4. I gave earlier, but will pony up the extra $4 to hit the mark officially ��
                          Maybe I didn't read clearly.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Maybe I didn't read clearly.
                            It's official now !

Comment

I have sat on the sidelines and have taken all entries in. Now I wish to throw in some thoughts: It was a disappointing season. NO ONE disputes that: i think the first order of business is to determine how to go from 6 wins to say 12? Clearly, either a mix of players like these won't get you there or you need a rethinking of what system will work best with players like these. I understand these guys were mostly Seth holdovers (apologies to the players- I dont meant to disparage). And Dave Smith is going to bring in "his" players. But who, exactly, will be those players? Who is in the pool of players available to RPI? I mean, it's not like Seth ignored better players to get the players he did. The competition for the players remaining after the grade A prospects choose where they want to play (let's face it McAvoy chose BU for all intents and purposes, not the other way around) is intense. There are more D1 programs than ever and the likelihood of any one school getting a particular player is less than it ever has been. So I think the challenge, coaching-wise, is to try and create a team that blends well and can implement the coach's system. That is very difficult to do. You have to have tremendous vision to imagine how the players you are choosing will fit into the system you wish to implement. And try and choose players that you think will fit. Not try to make them fit after they get here. All the discussion about in game adjustments is interesting, but at the end of the day, if winning "hinges" on in game adjustments at the end of the year, the blend is just not there. If you are trying to figure out in the last third of the season who should play with who during the game, you are really in trouble. Although I understand matchups based on the other teams players, but that should have been figured out prior to puck drop. So I think the great minds in the game who can step back and "see" how to put the team together and get wins are very rare, indeed. Many coaches given grade A players do pretty well. Half the battle is won before anyone steps on the ice. Seth at USTDP is a case in point. So I don't envy Dave Smith (or Seth Appert) one bit. The question really is: Shirley "promised' she would invest resources into the program. If the fans and supporters have to buy the ipads, that is your answer to that. The women's team asking for yoga mats or Barry Melrose buying them 2nd jersies petty much says it all. Getting better players is all about giving them a reason to WANT to come to RPI. No more, no less. As I see it, we will likely never be a perennial powerhouse. But we can challenge the powerhouse programs fairly regularly. By investing in the team, in the facilities, and by becoming a school higher up on the consideration list than we are currently are. No matter who the coach is ( unless Mike Babcock decides to coach here and players flock to RPI to learn from him), if nothing changes, we should all just tighten our seat belts and expect more of the same.

Comment

Well thought out; competition for the best players is high.
                                http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226630

Comment

Working...
                                X