X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Same guy. He has a big beef with the Village.
    That is weird. Could we get him to put one on Shirley's lawn?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      That is weird. Could we get him to put one on Shirley's lawn?
      In front of the gates? Maybe the 24-hour security would get a kick out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        You sound biased against the houses. Be careful of your preconceptions... they may prove quite false. If it weren't for the hockey team and the fraternity system at RPI I likely would have transferred to another school. I have many lifelong friends thanks to my time spent as a brother. I was introduced to my wife by a brother of mine - years after leaving school. Coincidentally the only time in my 4 years at RPI I saw something that would qualify as sexual assault occurred Freshman year in Nugent Hall. It may come as a shock to fraternity haters, but most houses do a very good job of policing their members. The kind of behavior that is alluded to here would not have been tolerated at my house.

Now that said, the greek system does tend to attract the more outgoing people and as a result those people tend to intermingle with more people than the average independent. So the potential for a bad apple to take advantage of a situation if certainly greater in that environment however I doubt that the same bad actor would be a model citizen had he (or she) not been introduced to Greek life. In short, and at the risk of sounding like Otter in the famous Animal House scene, the members of fraternities and sororities are going to reflect the population in general. So if we are going to condemn the houses for making bad choices, how is not having them going to correct the original error which is the school admitting someone with less than ideal moral standing? And how is shortening the rush period going to help the houses filter out those possible bad actors? It won't. And now... back to hockey. Drop the puck already!
        This has nothing to do with Greek life. My son was a member of a fraternity at RPI and had a great experience.
        It was stated that the reason for shutting down Greek life for a period was due to a number of unsavory incidents. I would and do feel the same about the entire school population.
        Again, I don't want to be lumped in with the Baylors, MSUs, Penn States, and now Texas A&Ms of the world.
        We should applaud Shirley for getting out ahead of this before we go down that path.
        Let me be clear here. The student body and Alum have every right to their opinion on the way she handles her Presidency, but not when it comes to the good name of RPI.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          This has nothing to do with Greek life. My son was a member of a fraternity at RPI and had a great experience.
          It was stated that the reason for shutting down Greek life for a period was due to a number of unsavory incidents. I would and do feel the same about the entire school population.
          Again, I don't want to be lumped in with the Baylors, MSUs, Penn States, and now Texas A&Ms of the world.
          We should applaud Shirley for getting out ahead of this before we go down that path.
          Let me be clear here. The student body and Alum have every right to their opinion on the way she handles her Presidency, but not when it comes to the good name of RPI.
          Similar administrative actions have been taken at a number of schools. At Michigan their IFC even "voluntarily" (I suspect the school gave them a choice of voluntary and involuntary action) put a halt to many recruitment and social activities because of problems in the Greek community. I think the issue here is not the action in isolation, but rather the pattern established by the administration that's exhausted their goodwill account with many students and alums.

I wasn't part of the Greek community, although my children were at their respective schools (both accepted to RPI but neither chose to attend). I've always believed rush should be at the beginning of the 2nd semester as it would give freshman a chance to make friends within their class and get acclimated to the school before deciding how they want to allocate a large percentage of their bandwidth for the remaining college years. I know Cornell does it that way but I'm not sure whether it's a common practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            In front of the gates? Maybe the 24-hour security would get a kick out of it.
            Might go for it as it would save on potty breaks.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              Similar administrative actions have been taken at a number of schools. At Michigan their IFC even "voluntarily" (I suspect the school gave them a choice of voluntary and involuntary action) put a halt to many recruitment and social activities because of problems in the Greek community. I think the issue here is not the action in isolation, but rather the pattern established by the administration that's exhausted their goodwill account with many students and alums.

I wasn't part of the Greek community, although my children were at their respective schools (both accepted to RPI but neither chose to attend). I've always believed rush should be at the beginning of the 2nd semester as it would give freshman a chance to make friends within their class and get acclimated to the school before deciding how they want to allocate a large percentage of their bandwidth for the remaining college years. I know Cornell does it that way but I'm not sure whether it's a common practice.
              Just because it happens at one place doesn't mean it will happen elsewhere. However, the administration has shown a pattern over the last 15 years of trying to wrest control of the Greeks, and they're using current news happenings as an excuse to do it and gain the support of people who over-react to such events. Constant vigilance is necessary with this regime, and the students are about to lose much more because of freaking out about somewhere else.

I wasn't part of Greek life either. However, given the need to market to the kids and get them out of the dorm rooms, I see it quite necessary to begin rush activities in the summer. If a kid doesn't know what they're getting into with a school like this, then what the heck were they doing applying in the first place? It's not like RPI has the reputation of a party school.

Comment

I agree with 2nd semester rush. It was that way in my freshman year 1963. Should also include restricting freshman women from going to fraternity houses 1st semester.

Too much change for 1st semester freshman. My trust in the administration has gone down completely in the last 15 years. RPI needs to report all student problems not just Greeks.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI67 View Post
                  I agree with 2nd semester rush. It was that way in my freshman year 1963. Should also include restricting freshman women from going to fraternity houses 1st semester.

Too much change for 1st semester freshman. My trust in the administration has gone down completely in the last 15 years. RPI needs to report all student problems not just Greeks.
                  It was second semester a year later also.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    OK... that's fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      It looks like Tom's announcement is having an effect. From the RPI Sports list. I will leave the names out.

Another message
                      I think those are actually both the same person. The have the same signature anyway, despite coming from two different email addresses. That amounts to a half million hit to RPI thanks to Tom's post - pretty impressive!
                      Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                        I think those are actually both the same person. The have the same signature anyway, despite coming from two different email addresses. That amounts to a half million hit to RPI thanks to Tom's post - pretty impressive!
                        Maybe they went here
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                          They are indeed the same person. Highly doubt the empress will care.

Comment

From Charlene's post on the RPI Sports list about the new recruits. The reale [sic] reason that Tom doesn't want to be on WRPI for hockey games this season:

Those of you who, like me, are memory-challenged will be happy to hear that this year we will have two Tommys, two Chases, two Bradys, two Jakes AND two Jacobs! (Okay, one Jacob and one Jakub)! And we have both Linden Marshall and Ture Linden. I'm definitely going to need a cheat sheet!
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 29 June 2018. There are 100 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                                X