X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
    Can you explain? Not sure I follow.
    You still probably won't be able to follow even after an explanation, and that has nothing to do with you
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Wouldn't mind taking a shot at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Not that I blame Tom at all.

Geez! I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Can Shirley be terminated??

Every day I am thankful we have Tony Collins in charge at CCT.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Geez! I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Can Shirley be terminated??

Every day I am thankful we have Tony Collins in charge at CCT.
          They tried a No Confidence vote when I was there, and the group that brought it up was disbanded after the vote failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Not that I blame Tom at all.

Only know Tom superficially at best but, whenever I was around him, he always stuck me as someone who deals in a world of the highest levels of competence, principals and character. As an example, there was an outstanding and lengthy article posted a while ago on Without A Peer titled Is RPI Hockey Irrelevant. As is the case when people have integrity, readers were told the truth in paragraph one. Truth being that the inspiration for the article was not of his doing. In fact, I personally know the inspiration very, very well.

With a just a few precious exceptions spread throughout the institution's administrative and athletic hierarchy, who I also know rather superficially, there is no similar feeling of any kind. In more than a few cases, I regard them as little more than lackeys, flunkies and stooges or little more than current day Charlie Hodge(s). For those who just don't know, don't remember or are simply too young to know or remember, he was that rather useless commodity that was always on the right side of the stage (left as you were looking at it) that Elvis always went to whenever he wanted a glass of water or a scarf to hand out. Unlike the institute's collection of inept hacks, however irrelevant Charlie may have been, he always delivered. Charles was usually at his busiest and most useful during concert renditions of Don't or Welcome To My World.

Enough of the queen and her collection of north ends of southbound horses. Not everybody in the administrative staffs of that place is totally inept and useless. A few are absolutely outstanding at what they do. Unfortunately, those few are nowhere near the level they should have advanced to by now and should have advanced there long ago. That, in a nutshell, is the institutional problem. The Charleys of the world are hired, advanced and promoted leaving the ones that should be higher on the organizational chart treading water. It will not stop until the origin of this lunacy is gone. The only light at the end of this tunnel is that the origin is already past 70. Whenever that origin is gone, the hacks will be probably also be gone in short order. Let us hope that past 70 equates to I'm leaving being a short term leave.

In the meantime, this decision to exit stage door left needs to be understood and respected without question. By itself, it is not necessarily a death blow or kill shot to WRPI Sports broadcasting. That will be determined by the decisions made by other NON STAFF contributors to broadcasting, one of whom posts here with regularity. If they do same, the end would be far easier to see. The final straw would be if this administration managed to alienate one particular alumnus who just happens to be the longest standing play by play broadcaster of a single team entity (a quarter century plus of RPI Football) in THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF CAPITAL DISTRICT SPORTS BROADCASTING SINCE THE DAY THE RADIO WAS INVENTED. That would be the death blow and the kill shot. All that would be left to broadcast are a very small handful of people that are on the institute's payroll. That is nowhere near enough in quantity and, quite bluntly, with one exception who is absolutely outstanding, there are severe broadcast quality questions generating from that particular pool.

If the end of WRPI Sports broadcasting is indeed near, it's effect should not be underestimated. The one unique thing about the RPI sports fan base is that an unusually significant portion of it has been RPI sports fans since before all living rooms had television sets. Obviously, a number of them do not get around as easily as they once did. In addition, they also tend to shy away from driving at night and do not even leave home in bad weather regardless of weather it is day or night. With some of them, the sufficient computer literacy necessary to avail themselves to other modern day options simply does not exist. As for a webcast, to some of this group it my as well be that "Space Patrol" thing that has made the news the last couple of days. For a number of this group the choice is simply a good old fashion radio located within range of the WRPI signal or it is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. If it comes to that, place the blame where it belongs and that blame does not rest with the non staff VOLUNTEER broadcasters.

Comment

Today is 23 June 2018. There are 106 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
                I truly hope he reconsiders...he's been WRPI's best play-by-play guy in the 25+ years I've been listening...
                I bet the time he reconsiders will be the same time, and for the same reasons, many of us alums reconsider whether or not to donate to the 'tute.

Comment

Petition
                  https://www.change.org/p/save-the-rp...tm_term=362117
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As expected, no RPI players or known recruits were drafted by the NHL this year.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Also a reddit discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/RPI/comment..._and_analysis/

I know, when someone asked me when they had a kid looking at RPI, I told them it's a nice place, but I did have to be honest about Dr. Jackson's tyranny. The kid ended up choosing RIT instead.

Comment

I would just like to say thank you to Tom Reale for your long, dedicated, and excellent service. It has been a pleasure listening to you.

Comment

Today is 24 June 2018. There are 105 days (15 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Also a reddit discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/RPI/comment..._and_analysis/

I know, when someone asked me when they had a kid looking at RPI, I told them it's a nice place, but I did have to be honest about Dr. Jackson's tyranny. The kid ended up choosing RIT instead.
                            And you think that you did that person a favor?
                            Do you think so little of your degree.
                            I sent two kids to this institution run by Dr, Jackson and they are doing quite well. and they loved their experience at RPI.
                            I know how you feel about Jackson, but the education can't be beat. And you did that person a disservice based on your opinion of the president of the institute.
                            Please don't talk to any of my friends.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              And you think that you did that person a favor?
                              Do you think so little of your degree.
                              I sent two kids to this institution run by Dr, Jackson and they are doing quite well. and they loved their experience at RPI.
                              I know how you feel about Jackson, but the education can't be beat. And you did that person a disservice based on your opinion of the president of the institute.
                              Please don't talk to any of my friends.
                              Maybe I value similar things that Tom does. And after what I experienced both first and second-hand, I cannot bring myself to tolerate what is being done there. I'm not going to flat out say, "Don't go there," which is what you are interpreting my words as; not surprising given I'm evidently more triggering than Donald Trump to a SJW. I will, however, ensure that anyone who asks knows the full truth, in order to make the best possible decision.

As for your comments about degree value, once you're in the work force, it means about the same as those who went to state colleges. They hardly teach anymore how to actually apply yourself.

Apathy is no longer an option when it comes to this regime.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Maybe I value similar things that Tom does. And after what I experienced both first and second-hand, I cannot bring myself to tolerate what is being done there. I'm not going to flat out say, "Don't go there," which is what you are interpreting my words as; not surprising given I'm evidently more triggering than Donald Trump to a SJW. I will, however, ensure that anyone who asks knows the full truth, in order to make the best possible decision.

As for your comments about degree value, once you're in the work force, it means about the same as those who went to state colleges. They hardly teach anymore how to actually apply yourself.

Apathy is no longer an option when it comes to this regime.
                                All three of my kids were accepted at RIT and RPI. Two went to RIT and one went to RPI. All three are doing great. I wouldn't want my kids to do anything different if they had to do it all over again. The RIT kids had non-engineering majors, the RPI kid graduated with an Engineering Degree. While RPI has the name recognition, the administration can certainly learn a few things from RIT and I think they are. The coop program at RIT is fantastic if your student is okay with two, three or even four coops of up to ten weeks each before graduation. My RPI graduate took a queue from his older sibling at RIT and my urging and took it upon himself to find an internship position between his junior and senior year at RPI although RPI did not require it. That extra work over that summer resulted in a job offer after graduation (actually the offer was on the table before graduation). I can't help but think the "Summer Arch" program at RPI might have something to do with what other colleges are doing to prepare their students for the work force. I know that for all the parent open houses I attended at RPI, every single one involved a parent asking a question about the requirement for a coop program. I could go on and on but Flaggy is right, in 2018 there are plenty of colleges that offer an education that are on par with RPI.

Love RPI, love RPI hockey and will be at the Army - RPI game in January, but RPI is not the only Engineering school that todays students are looking at.
                                RPI Engineers
                                RIT Tigers
                                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Working...
                                X