X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    One of these days, Ralph will remember to take out the end quote.
    At least I got the date and number of days left (assuming the season does start on 10/6) correct this time.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
      Apperts special teams may cost them gold
      Is there a connection between the post you quoted and your response?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I suspect that DrD and Waite also remember Bob Baron.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Apperts special teams may cost them gold
          Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Don’t know if there’s a connection but Finland defeated the US for the Gold 3-2. Fin. scored 2 PP & the GWG was a SHG..... http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/500/gameaction_7485.html
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            Don’t know if there’s a connection but Finland defeated the US for the Gold 3-2. Fin. scored 2 PP & the GWG was a SHG..... http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/500/gameaction_7485.html
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

There never is with his posts.
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I suspect that DrD and Waite also remember Bob Baron.
                RB: i was already gone from RPI a couple of years before he even entered (I think) and I really did not follow the football team for a few years after leaving for medical School. In fact, once our long losing streak ended (first with a tie against Nichols College) and then our winless streak ended (with that fabulous upset of Middlebury College), I did not keep track again until many years later.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I know Bob Baron quite well. He used to play QB on one of our local semi-pro football teams for about 10 years. Very talented player.
                  Best of luck to him (and his horse!) in the Derby.

Comment

I do remember Bob Baron playing quarterback for RPI.

The Times-Union article indicates he graduated in 1972, so he would have been a sophomore when I was a senior. I could have seen him playing for the freshman team in 1968 and the varsity in 1969.

If that's correct, he probably participated in the game against Trinity in 1969 which earned RPI's football team a rare mention in Sports Illustrated. The game ended in a 43-43 tie, and SI dubbed it the "defensive game of the week."

I also recall, after seeing the picture, that eligible pass receivers (including quarterbacks) on RPI's teams in that era wore red helmets, while the rest of the team wore white ones.

I hope Baron's horse runs well.

Comment

Today is 30 April 2018. There are 159 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post

I've said this many times before, but it bears repeating: no matter what you think of the coaching, the administration, or even the talent level of the players in this program, it's just not possible to know these boys at all, to watch them play and watch their faces after a game, and not believe that they are giving their all, and that they want to win just as much as we want them to win. I don't care what the win-loss record is - these boys make me proud to be an RPI fan.
                        Amen to that. The boys give their all and are a credit to RPI.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

I have been a hockey fan for over 50 years and an RPI season ticket holder for over 25 years. I have never been as involved with the program as many others are here in the sense that I don't go to many of the social events off the ice. That being said: I have always found these men to be intelligent, well spoken, courteous, and very approachable. These are guys who come to RPI, I am sure, hoping to be able to take their game to the next level. That may not happen for most of them, but they come away taking themselves to the next level as people. Would I like to see the team in the ECAC top 4, go to the tournament finals, and , perhaps, the NCAA's? Definitely. But I am not willing to do that with guys who don't behave appropriately, are not respectful, and don't recognize the wonderful educational opportunity they are being given. I did not attend the banquet, and perhaps I should. But I think the lesson I take from this is not what I am learning from these guys, but what they are showing the underclassmen. We may be short on wins. We certainly aren't short on class. And that class is being handed down to those that follow. Thanks Charlene for sharing. Means a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                            I have been a hockey fan for over 50 years and an RPI season ticket holder for over 25 years. I have never been as involved with the program as many others are here in the sense that I don't go to many of the social events off the ice. That being said: I have always found these men to be intelligent, well spoken, courteous, and very approachable. These are guys who come to RPI, I am sure, hoping to be able to take their game to the next level. That may not happen for most of them, but they come away taking themselves to the next level as people. Would I like to see the team in the ECAC top 4, go to the tournament finals, and , perhaps, the NCAA's? Definitely. But I am not willing to do that with guys who don't behave appropriately, are not respectful, and don't recognize the wonderful educational opportunity they are being given. I did not attend the banquet, and perhaps I should. But I think the lesson I take from this is not what I am learning from these guys, but what they are showing the underclassmen. We may be short on wins. We certainly aren't short on class. And that class is being handed down to those that follow. Thanks Charlene for sharing. Means a lot.

Every team has class guys poor excuse ...
                            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Today is 1 May 2018. There are 158 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Every team has class guys poor excuse ...
                                Have to agree. I think it's great that the program churns out men with solid characters and moral fortitude, but as a hockey fan I go to the rink (or in my case, watch RPITV) looking for on ice performance without much regard to how classy they are off of it. I think the program could benefit from a couple of scrappers that can bring some nastiness to the games in the near term - nothing like a little intimidation to make our opponents fear coming to HFH...

Comment

Working...
                                X