Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

  1. #401
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,680

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I'm eager to hear Dr. Mc's updates on the HFH renovation plans he boasted about last year ---which we haven't heard a peep about since. ��
    They shouldnt have lied about it in the spring and summer..never going to happen. Your posts have been spot on.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  2. #402
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,680

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I'm actually surprised Marshall wasn't pulled after about 4 or 5 goals in those touchdown routs, so it almost has to be the latter.
    Should have been. You don't do that to a kids confidence.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  3. #403
    Eternal optimist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    564

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Anyone going to the end of season post-mortem at HFH? I am not. It should be interesting to hear which players are/are not there.
    I was there.

    All the players who were missing from the basketball photo were missing tonight, and Coach Smith himself confirmed that there have been "personnel changes" already. There were actually a few more players missing too - Linden Marshall, TJ Samec, Jacob Hayhurst and Patrick Polino - but I asked the guys about a couple of them (Jacob and Patrick) and were told they had late classes so I assume the same was true for Linden and TJ. I'm pretty confident that Linden, at least, has not been cut!

    Nothing was said about the renovation plans and, although both Smith and McElroy took questions, nobody asked. I didn't see WS's post before I went and I didn't think of it myself - sorry.

    Coach Smith made some brief comments about the past season - saying that the results weren't what they wanted or expected, but that the adjustments and improvements were. He pointed to the loss to Brown after leading 4-1 in the 3rd period as one of the big failures and to the win over Cornell (no surprise), holding on to a slim 2-1 lead, as an example of what he wants to see instead.

    And - a highlight of the evening! - Nolan Graham's wife Crystal stopped by with their daughter Ellie. She said Nolan wanted her to come to thank everyone and tell them how much all the wonderful support meant to him. Nolan is home and doing outpatient therapy, improving every day, but with a long road ahead of him yet.
    Charlene

  4. #404
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    I was there.

    All the players who were missing from the basketball photo were missing tonight, and Coach Smith himself confirmed that there have been "personnel changes" already. There were actually a few more players missing too - Linden Marshall, TJ Samec, Jacob Hayhurst and Patrick Polino - but I asked the guys about a couple of them (Jacob and Patrick) and were told they had late classes so I assume the same was true for Linden and TJ. I'm pretty confident that Linden, at least, has not been cut!

    Nothing was said about the renovation plans and, although both Smith and McElroy took questions, nobody asked. I didn't see WS's post before I went and I didn't think of it myself - sorry.

    Coach Smith made some brief comments about the past season - saying that the results weren't what they wanted or expected, but that the adjustments and improvements were. He pointed to the loss to Brown after leading 4-1 in the 3rd period as one of the big failures and to the win over Cornell (no surprise), holding on to a slim 2-1 lead, as an example of what he wants to see instead.

    And - a highlight of the evening! - Nolan Graham's wife Crystal stopped by with their daughter Ellie. She said Nolan wanted her to come to thank everyone and tell them how much all the wonderful support meant to him. Nolan is home and doing outpatient therapy, improving every day, but with a long road ahead of him yet.
    Thnx for the report CM. Great news that Crystal stopped by the event ...continued thoughts and prayers to Nolan on his recovery.

    So its Confirmed 11 kids departing. 3 seniors and 8 others are gone. Wow. thats gonna take a few chews to swallow. As I've said before, Smitty deserves the benefit of time to do things his way ...but he's out on the plank now sending that many kids packing. Here's hoping the arrow starts pointing up for our squad.

  5. #405
    Eternal optimist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    564

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Thnx for the report CM. Great news that Crystal stopped by the event ...continued thoughts and prayers to Nolan on his recovery.

    So its Confirmed 11 kids departing. 3 seniors and 8 others are gone. Wow. thats gonna take a few chews to swallow. As I've said before, Smitty deserves the benefit of time to do things his way ...but he's out on the plank now sending that many kids packing. Here's hoping the arrow starts pointing up for our squad.
    Did I count wrong? I thought it was 7 gone besides the seniors. Or are you maybe counting Kyle St. Denis, who I still consider a question mark?

    I agree that so many cuts after his first year kind of puts Coach Smith on the hot seat for getting something accomplished. And, as I've mentioned before, I worry about team morale when it's clear that anyone, even juniors, can be cut at any time. I'm not sure that's the way to get the best out of players, but obviously Dave Smith thinks it is and I'm not a coach. I'm just a listener.
    Charlene

  6. #406
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    Did I count wrong? I thought it was 7 gone besides the seniors. Or are you maybe counting Kyle St. Denis, who I still consider a question mark?

    I agree that so many cuts after his first year kind of puts Coach Smith on the hot seat for getting something accomplished. And, as I've mentioned before, I worry about team morale when it's clear that anyone, even juniors, can be cut at any time. I'm not sure that's the way to get the best out of players, but obviously Dave Smith thinks it is and I'm not a coach. I'm just a listener.
    Can't see having four keepers next year. So if Perry is staying, then St.Denis has to be odd man out.

  7. #407
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    192,304

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    Did I count wrong? I thought it was 7 gone besides the seniors. Or are you maybe counting Kyle St. Denis, who I still consider a question mark?

    I agree that so many cuts after his first year kind of puts Coach Smith on the hot seat for getting something accomplished. And, as I've mentioned before, I worry about team morale when it's clear that anyone, even juniors, can be cut at any time. I'm not sure that's the way to get the best out of players, but obviously Dave Smith thinks it is and I'm not a coach. I'm just a listener.
    It isn't clear that the juniors who are not there (Jesper O and Tironese) were cut. It seems more likely that they are moving on like Melanson did.

  8. #408
    Eternal optimist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    564

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Can't see having four keepers next year. So if Perry is staying, then St.Denis has to be odd man out.
    That makes sense. I was just counting what we know for sure and not assuming that what makes sense to us is what will happen, but I can't argue with your logic!
    Last edited by cmmarkham; 03-26-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    Charlene

  9. #409
    Eternal optimist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    564

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    It isn't clear that the juniors who are not there (Jesper O and Tironese) were cut. It seems more likely that they are moving on like Melanson did.
    Good point. In fact, I'm pretty confident that is the case for Evan. It seems unlikely in Jesper's case though, and we know he already cut Bradley Bell as a junior last year.
    Charlene

  10. #410
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    192,304

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Today is 27 March 2018. There are 193 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.

  11. #411
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    98

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    Good point. In fact, I'm pretty confident that is the case for Evan. It seems unlikely in Jesper's case though, and we know he already cut Bradley Bell as a junior last year.
    From what I have been told the Orvhall brothers along with Tironese decided to move on as did St. Denis (in his case he's staying at school).... the other players were the coaches decision.

  12. #412
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,735

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    From what I have been told the Orvhall brothers along with Tironese decided to move on as did St. Denis (in his case he's staying at school).... the other players were the coaches decision.
    I guess that we are starting over. It is going to be another long season with that many freshmen in the lineup.
    We are going to see what kind of coach we have, and what kind of system we play. But if we don't get someone who can put the puck in the net, it will just be more of the same.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  13. #413
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I guess that we are starting over. It is going to be another long season with that many freshmen in the lineup.
    We are going to see what kind of coach we have, and what kind of system we play. But if we don't get someone who can put the puck in the net, it will just be more of the same.
    I don't disagree. I would add that we allowed something like 123 GA (2nd only to to SLU I think) this season, so keeping pucks out of our net would be a good place to start.

  14. #414
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45,571

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Should have been. You don't do that to a kids confidence.
    After thinking about it, I can now understand why he wasn't pulled. Of all of those goals, how many of them were soft? How many of them were because of a breakdown in defending in front of him? From what I could tell, they weren't his fault. It's the D that left both him AND Perry out to dry. When a goalie is pulled, it's because he's having difficulties in net. Marshall was doing absolutely everything he could, and both Smith and Jewell must see that in him.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  15. #415
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    98

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    But if we don't get someone who can put the puck in the net, it will just be more of the same.
    I believe we have a few players that can put the puck in the net although their individual stats may not be reflective of their abilities. The issue is two fold, this team has not been a good passing team the past number of years. That starts on the back end IMO. On the front end, there has been a lot of selfish play in those same years from players who don't think an assist is as valuable as a goal. Passing up scoring opportunities of others who may have been in better scoring positions. Again that is IMO.

    I agree with Wicked that we need to keep the puck out of the net and this starts with better play by our DMen and our Goalkeepers. Another year of big changes. Maybe and just maybe the coach has kept those players that he feels will buy into what he is attempting to bring to this program. If next year is the same and there is no improvement and by improvement I mean a 15 win season then I don't think you'll see things get better for a very long time.

  16. #416
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    After thinking about it, I can now understand why he wasn't pulled. Of all of those goals, how many of them were soft? How many of them were because of a breakdown in defending in front of him? From what I could tell, they weren't his fault. It's the D that left both him AND Perry out to dry. When a goalie is pulled, it's because he's having difficulties in net. Marshall was doing absolutely everything he could, and both Smith and Jewell must see that in him.
    It's not about fault and I wasn't blaming Marshall (though he is prone to allowing a soft goal or two.). I like the kid and expect good things as he matures.

    It's about changing the mindset of the team and giving your goalie a mental period/game off. You give the kid a mental night off to work the gate and watch the game ...for his mental health. A huge component of goaltending is mental and allowing ~23 goals in that 4 game stretch didn't accomplish much for Marshall. One man's opinion .
    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 03-27-2018 at 10:38 AM.

  17. #417
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45,571

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    It's not about fault and I wasn't blaming Marshall (though he is prone to allowing a soft goal or two.). I like the kid and expect good things as he matures.

    It's about changing the mindset of the team and giving your goalie a mental period/game off. You give the kid a mental night off to work the gate and watch the game ...for his mental health. A huge component of goaltending is mental and allowing ~23 goals in that 4 game stretch didn't accomplish much for Marshall. One man's opinion .
    Don't you also have some experience with that position? If my recollection is correct, obviously I'm going to take your experience into account. And you do have a point, given the D seemed to play a lot tougher in the Dartmouth game after the 4 goal pull. I don't entirely buy the mental argument because he did get his only shutout thus far the very next week. What good did we see from that, as well as the other successes (I will include "good ties", such as Harvard and tOSU much earlier in the year), that we can use as a ground?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  18. #418
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Don't you also have some experience with that position? If my recollection is correct, obviously I'm going to take your experience into account. And you do have a point, given the D seemed to play a lot tougher in the Dartmouth game after the 4 goal pull. I don't entirely buy the mental argument because he did get his only shutout thus far the very next week. What good did we see from that, as well as the other successes (I will include "good ties", such as Harvard and tOSU much earlier in the year), that we can use as a ground?
    If you don't believe in the mental importance, you need to pick up a copy of Ken Dryden's book. It's truly an encyclopedia on the position.

    Again, I'm not at all blaming Marshall. A goaltender is only as good as the defense playing in front of him, and ours was really bad. Point being, barring a nagging injury we didn't know about, it's hard to figure how Perry didn't see any ice time.

  19. #419
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    38

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Ok, so now that the "fire sale" has begun can the RPI program be placed at face value as a Princeton and UMASS respectively. I say this because UMASS has a new coach, sweeps clean with his new broom and sees marked improvement. Princeton has couple years under new coach, buys into "the system" and advances to the NCAA's. Curious as to what the masses may think. The pieces appear to be there, and I would agree the the 6 man unit in front of the goalie needs to be better. So I guess my optimism is high for the upcoming season because I see what these other two programs have achieved.

  20. #420
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45,571

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by capswon View Post
    Ok, so now that the "fire sale" has begun can the RPI program be placed at face value as a Princeton and UMASS respectively. I say this because UMASS has a new coach, sweeps clean with his new broom and sees marked improvement. Princeton has couple years under new coach, buys into "the system" and advances to the NCAA's. Curious as to what the masses may think. The pieces appear to be there, and I would agree the the 6 man unit in front of the goalie needs to be better. So I guess my optimism is high for the upcoming season because I see what these other two programs have achieved.
    Probably won't be a complete 180, but we should at least see a mark of good progress next year. A mark of good progress would show us in 7th or 8th. Better than that would be terrific, anything near where we were this past year would be disappointing and raise even more question marks around what the coach is doing. Even Princeton is still mid-pack right now, and got into the NC$$ through the league bid. Time will tell.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •