X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    6 wins Ralph. You're into Math, that's not good.
    Did I say that I was happy with that? Do you think that I don't realize that? All I wrote was that I feel that Coach Smith made better adjustments than SA did. Both coaches have their flaws, but Smith deserves more than one year and not as long as SA got.

Smith did keep Autism Awareness Day. I would think that you would be happy with that.

Either root for RPI with Smith or become a fan of another team. I don't think that the rest of us need to hear your constant whining.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-06-2018, 03:41 AM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Smith did keep Autism Awareness Day. I would think that you would be happy with that.
      Cheap shot
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Did I say that I was happy with that? Do you think that I don't realize that? All I wrote was that I feel that Coach Smith made better adjustments than SA did. Both coaches have their flaws, but Smith deserves more than one year and not as long as SA got.

Either root for RPI with Smith or become a fan of another team. I don't think that the rest of us need to hear your constant whining.
        I have saved most of my comments for admin not so much Smith. Not only do the alumni deserve better but so do us in Town who support the team by buying the tix, sponsoring the golf tourney and playing in it. . I have finacially supported this team over the last 10 years so I dont need a lecture from you. Have a nice day.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          It wasn’t an in-game adjustment, but I thought our breakouts were world’s better than under Seth, whose teams seemed to default to banking it off the half boards/glass and hoping it eluded the point. This season we had a system with options and passing lanes. Next season perhaps we’ll learn what to do with it in the other team’s zone.
          The faceoffs were also miles better, although we seemed to taper back by the end of the season. But if there's one thing that was really good, it was that going into another period was night and day, and that's something we didn't see under Appert.

Our biggest issue on the attacking end seemed to be overcompensation and an inability to do more than one thing. You look at the first few games, where we threw a great game back at the opposition, at least when we had the puck. Then, at about the same time Coach Smith was mentioning to play more defensively, we lost whatever offensive spark we seemed to have. And then when we lost Troy York, it all seemed to just fade away back to the nothingness we saw in previous years. We talk about wanting to see more O, coaches talk about wanting to see more D, what really needs to be shown is both. A complete package is how you become successful at this and the professional level.

Comment

I have no anger. I'm not a big fan of Seth's, I'm a huge fan of Seth's. The coaching search was terribly flawed. I don't blame Smith but this was more than a 6 win team. They beat the #1 team at the time and would then lay an egg. I don't hold any ill will towards Smith. The program will not succeed w the level of support it gets. With regard to record, look at the present coach's record in the Atlantic and how they did w/out him this year. You guys are math guys, figure it out.
            Wasn't the same argument used surrounding Union and "the only reason they were successful" after their coaching change? You speak of setting up for success, but I'm fairly sure even Canisius wasn't built in a day.

The difference between a good coach and a great coach is that a great coach can maximize the cards that he has, even if they're not the best. A great coach is a rare occurrence, and is something we both see in a guy like Jim Montgomery. Our coach showed himself to be able to rebuild a team to become successful, and that's what we really need after a termination. Even if he isn't a long haul coach like a Schafer or a Vaughan, it's time for RPI to remember what it stands for, make RPI great again, and be able to continue forward positively.

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
              I'm not here to knock Appert, or to defend the administration, but the coach we have is now the coach we have. At the very least, they made a change, which is more than you can say Brown has done. That's a low bar to clear, but it's better than nothing.
              Brown. What an interesting comparison.

Brendan Whittet would be winning trophies at other schools.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I have saved most of my comments for admin not so much Smith. Not only do the alumni deserve better but so do us in Town who support the team by buying the tix, sponsoring the golf tourney and playing in it. . I have finacially supported this team over the last 10 years so I dont need a lecture from you. Have a nice day.
                I agree that the locals also deserve better. I also blame things much more on the RPI administration than Smith.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

They won 6 games!!!! What was he adjusting, his tie? Cmon Ralph. Btw- Lammers who should have been hired took his team from 5 wins to 11 in his 1st season. Wasn't even in our final 3 candidates.
                  Aspy, Appert may be a great coach, but the last three years at RPI, either the team wasn't talented enough, or they just didn't buy into his program. He was ineffective.
                  Smith has the team playing with more enthusiasm and energy. And while they did not win many games, they did buy into the system and were listening to the coach.
                  Lets give him a chance to show what he can do with his own team.
                  I too believe that Appert was a great guy and I wish him the best. But I will wait until he is back in D-1 hockey before I anoint him...
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

There's a lot of talk about consistency. What did we lack in the last decade? This is why Coach Smith cleaning house is a good thing.

Comment

You know, if he truly didn't care, he wouldn't be here. If he was only an Appert fan, as is being intimated, why would he bother, especially when he hasn't said peep about Smith - and in fact said he holds him no ill will? This is out of line and beneath you. I would have expected this kind of tripe from some salty bedwetter like ServinisScores but not from you.

I'm in full agreement that when Appert was fired, it was for cause. I said so at the time and looking back I still can't fault the decision. But in all honesty, there's no reason to fire a guy if you don't have a concrete plan for improving without him, especially when even the haters would admit that the man had many redeemable qualities - it's just that they weren't enough to justify keeping him if you wanted the program to advance on the ice. Smith's hiring left a whole lot of us scratching our heads, especially considering the hype that surrounded a number of other candidates that the rest of the hockey world thought were outstanding possibilities for resurrecting a program that is adrift.

He's not wrong. This year's team, in the only numbers that count at the end of the day, was worse than last year's team. And yes, there's a multi-year process that it takes for a new coach to turn things around, everyone gets that, even if a good number of the bedwetting clique oddly never gave the same courtesy to Smith's predecessor. But in [current year], we do have the ability to see slightly into the future given the equally multi-year recruiting process that now exists. Combine the fact that of all the myriad recruits that we have on the list, the most common thing we're seeing and reading about them is "well, they're 21" and not "man, I can't wait for this guy to get here," and combine that with the amount of turnover we've already seen with the roster and that everyone fully expects is going to be happening again this summer, perhaps even especially you, and you CAN NOT fault a person for questioning the situation as it currently exists.

And I don't see a single person laying a shred of blame on Dave Smith. Not one, not even AspyDad, who, yes, is a guy who likes Seth Appert more than your average human being. This is all about the decision to fire a poorly performing coach without eliciting an actual path forward. Apparently the path forward is to bring in overage players and slash and burn the guys who the previous coach brought in. It's not an untried method, at least the first part. I'm willing to give it a shot, even though the amount of turmoil we're currently seeing eclipses anything Appert ever had outside of his final season (where I think he knew the writing was on the wall and eventually started throwing stuff against the wall to see what would stick).

You don't like constant whining? Welcome to my world for the past decade. It's a big reason why I rarely even bother checking in here during the regular season anymore. It's become Diet RPISPORT-L. Just as toxic with fewer calories.
                      Last edited by Red Cloud; 03-06-2018, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        There's a lot of talk about consistency. What did we lack in the last decade? This is why Coach Smith cleaning house is a good thing.
                        This is an impressive level of cognitive dissonance. We need consistency, therefore let's blow everything up?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                          You know, if he truly didn't care, he wouldn't be here. If he was only an Appert fan, as is being intimated, why would he bother, especially when he hasn't said peep about Smith - and in fact said he holds him no ill will? This is out of line and beneath you. I would have expected this kind of tripe from some salty bedwetter like ServinisScores but not from you.

I'm in full agreement that when Appert was fired, it was for cause. I said so at the time and looking back I still can't fault the decision. But in all honesty, there's no reason to fire a guy if you don't have a concrete plan for improving without him, especially when even the haters would admit that the man had many redeemable qualities - it's just that they weren't enough to justify keeping him if you wanted the program to advance on the ice. Smith's hiring left a whole lot of us scratching our heads, especially considering the hype that surrounded a number of other candidates that the rest of the hockey world thought were outstanding possibilities for resurrecting a program that is adrift.

He's not wrong. This year's team, in the only numbers that count at the end of the day, was worse than last year's team. And yes, there's a multi-year process that it takes for a new coach to turn things around, everyone gets that, even if a good number of the bedwetting clique oddly never gave the same courtesy to Smith's predecessor. But in [current year], we do have the ability to see slightly into the future given the equally multi-year recruiting process that now exists. Combine the fact that of all the myriad recruits that we have on the list, the most common thing we're seeing and reading about them is "well, they're 21" and not "man, I can't wait for this guy to get here," and combine that with the amount of turnover we've already seen with the roster and that everyone fully expects is going to be happening again this summer, perhaps even especially you, and you CAN NOT fault a person for questioning the situation as it currently exists.

And I don't see a single person laying a shred of blame on Dave Smith. Not one, not even AspyDad, who, yes, is a guy who likes Seth Appert more than your average human being. This is all about the decision to fire a poorly performing coach without eliciting an actual path forward. Apparently the path forward is to bring in overage players and slash and burn the guys who the previous coach brought in. It's not an untried method, at least the first part. I'm willing to give it a shot, even though the amount of turmoil we're currently seeing eclipses anything Appert ever had outside of his final season (where I think he knew the writing was on the wall and eventually started throwing stuff against the wall to see what would stick).

You don't like constant whining? Welcome to my world for the past decade. It's a big reason why I rarely even bother checking in here during the regular season anymore. It's become Diet RPISPORT-L. Just as toxic with fewer calories.
                          I became a certified curmudgeon early this calendar year.

I agree that AspyDad cares and the great majority of his comments have not been against Smith. It is just all of the praise of SA that is getting to me. I liked SA as a person, not that I knew him personally, but I felt that it was time that he was let go. I am happy that he is doing well with the USNTDP. I do note that he always sent notes when I donated to the team and I don't recall Smith doing so. Anyway, he is history, as are Harkness, Addesa, Fridgen, Powers, and many others. We have to move on.

I don't believe that the record is the only thing that counts, although it certainly does. It is important that we produce players who show RPI in a positive light to the public, whether it is as athletes or in another endeavor. That is more Joe Juneaus and J.F. Gosselins and fewer Phil Kenners.

I am surprised that you compare this to RPISPORT-L, but maybe I don't pay enough attention to the discussion there.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Seth Appert has the highest winning percentage in the history of USA U 18 team. Not "Belly Aching". Facts are facts. this should have not been a 6 win team, especially in light that the ECAC was weaker then it has been.
                            If I'm not mistaken, he is co-coach, not head coach.
                            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                              Don't they have one head coach for the U18 team and one for the U17 team? SA is coaching the U18 team this year. Next year he will coach the new U17 team and he will stay with essentially the same group of players for two seasons.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                                http://www.usahockey.com/news_articl...sa-hockey-ntdp

Comment

Working...
                                X