Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Anyone who watched the games closely saw the in-game adjustments Smith was actually able to make, which is something we never saw under Appert. Not to meniton, the team mentally instead of all-star mentality. Anyone who blames Smith is out of their mind.

    People need to get over the decision made last year. What's done is done. Belly-ache in 4 years if nothing changes.

    I will be shocked if the empress is gone in 2 years. So long as she's able to walk and have drivel come out of her mouth, she will remain in that position.
    Seth Appert has the highest winning percentage in the history of USA U 18 team. Not "Belly Aching". Facts are facts. this should have not been a 6 win team, especially in light that the ECAC was weaker then it has been.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    This was more than a 6 wins team. Will, Vik and Praps were a solid Sr. class. There were pieces there, Reilly and Hayhurst are solid D1 players. For those on this thread that blamed Seth for in game coaching decisions, they need to rethink that position because as Mr. Macadam from the Gazette said he is not assigning blame to Smith. The support for this program is less than zero from the administration. I don’t blame Lee for not having hockey expertise but the criticism still stands that people that should have been involved with the coaching search were swept aside (see hockey alumni criticism). The decision was made in an insular fashion by people who don’t know hockey.
    Lee owns this whole disaster. It is his watch. I have no confidence that he is engaged enough to try and make this better.
    I agree with Ralph that we will see a massive movement of players. This too will cause tumult because parents and prospective recruits will wonder if RPI will keep their commitment to the student athletes they recruit.
    Shirley will be gone at the latest in 2020 and I surmise Lee will go when she does. It will be up the next admin to make this right.
    Thank you to Vik, Willy and Praps for coming to Troy. I’m looking forward to what the future holds for the three of you.
    Agree that this team was more than a 6 win team this season. IMO the team lacked consistency because of all of the in game changes that the HC made. So I disagree with you that we didn't see any in game changes. I also felt that there were too many game to game changes with the offensive lines. Forwards, IMO, need to develop chemistry and it takes more than just a 2 or 3 game segment for that to happen. Scoring is a function of chemistry between forwards. Knowing where each other is and trusting when to make the pass. At times this team was to much "INDVIDUALS" and not enough "TEAM". Solid D1 players, this team has more than just Hayhurst and Riley. It doesn't matter who I think they are, my opinion doesn't matter. Only the HC opinion matters. Changes are coming that's for sure. I don't believe this team will carry a roster of 34 and with that said I'm sure more than the 3 seniors will be leaving. Will all just have to wait to see who they may be. Many people have rumors but only the players and the HC no for sure. But Im sure the HC has a plan.

  3. #23
    Not a player, I just crush a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht
    Posts
    25,281

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Anyone who watched the games closely saw the in-game adjustments Smith was actually able to make, which is something we never saw under Appert.
    Do tell.

    I'm not doubting you, I just want you to give me an example.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

  4. #24
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,954

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    Returning players that signed NLI's

    Goalies - Perry, Marshall

    Defensemen - Moore, Reilly, Manley

    Forwards - Tironese, Wiffen, J. Orvhall, Burgess, Hayhurst, Polino, E. Orvhall, Jerry, Stout
    Thanks. I count 14. We don't know if there are others who received one but didn't announce NLI publicly, and I don't recall if you can do partial shenanigans with the NLI or if it has to be full. We have two known early signers, and the regular period comes in a couple months or so, so we'd know more by then. If we go over 18, I'd really start to wonder about some of these players you mentioned.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Seth Appert has the highest winning percentage in the history of USA U 18 team. Not "Belly Aching". Facts are facts. this should have not been a 6 win team, especially in light that the ECAC was weaker then it has been.
    They also have the cream of the crop players in the country and a just turned 17 year old who is projected as the #1 NHL draft pick in 2019. Not hard to coach a squad made up of those players.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Thanks. I count 14. We don't know if there are others who received one but didn't announce NLI publicly, and I don't recall if you can do partial shenanigans with the NLI or if it has to be full. We have two known early signers, and the regular period comes in a couple months or so, so we'd know more by then. If we go over 18, I'd really start to wonder about some of these players you mentioned.
    Any athletic money, full or partial, is outlined in the NLI. Its the Institutions financial commitment to the players.

  7. #27
    Not a player, I just crush a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht
    Posts
    25,281

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    They also have the cream of the crop players in the country and a just turned 17 year old who is projected as the #1 NHL draft pick in 2019. Not hard to coach a squad made up of those players.
    Has this ever happened before?

    They always have cream of the crop players, so that's irrelevant. And a projected #1 NHL draft pick? You mean like team alums Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel (who would have been #1 in any year since Crosby)? Erik Johnson and Rick DiPietro?

    It's probably not hard to coach teams like that, but you're missing the fact that AspyDad presented - highest winning percentage in the program's history.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    95

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post

    It's probably not hard to coach teams like that, but you're missing the fact that AspyDad presented - highest winning percentage in the program's history.
    I'm not missing the point at all. Highest winning percentage in the programs history isn't what matters to USA Hockey and the NTDP. What matters to them is the number of #1 drafts picks in the upcoming draft and the overall number for the team. Its about individual player development to them.

  9. #29
    Not a player, I just crush a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht
    Posts
    25,281

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    I'm not missing the point at all. Highest winning percentage in the programs history isn't what matters to USA Hockey and the NTDP. What matters to them is the number of #1 drafts picks in the upcoming draft and the overall number for the team. Its about individual player development to them.
    Perhaps you should have led with that if this was your point.

    That said, it's interesting, then, that USA Hockey would select him to oversee said development, since he got such a bad rap for it at RPI. Wonder why that is?
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

  10. #30
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    8,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I suspect that a topic for conversation this off-season will certainly be the makeup of next season’s team. Let me initiate the discussion. I will post separately about goalies, defensemen and forwards.

    The first post is about goalies. This is the simplest, but there are still questions. All three goalies, Perry, St.Denis, and Marshall, are eligible to return and we have one goalie recruit, Owen Savory. OS is a 97, so he must come in the fall. I don’t think that we will keep four goalies, so someone must be leaving. I think that Chase Perry will turn pro. He cannot transfer since he has already done that once.

    Comments?
    I too think Perry will be gone. After RPI gave up back two back 7 goal games and Perry didn't get a start, that was a pretty clear signal that Smith had no intention of playing him. I doubt St.Denis is getting any scholly money - but that's just a hunch.
    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 03-05-2018 at 11:24 AM.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    They also have the cream of the crop players in the country and a just turned 17 year old who is projected as the #1 NHL draft pick in 2019. Not hard to coach a squad made up of those players.
    Did you hear what I said? He has the best winning % of U18 team in its history. Plus, the best minds in USA hockey trusted him with those players. JJ and others knew he got a crap deal here and let him guide our elite talent. Plus he's got 2 Natl Championships on his resume.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  12. #32
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,954

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Seth Appert has the highest winning percentage in the history of USA U 18 team. Not "Belly Aching". Facts are facts. this should have not been a 6 win team, especially in light that the ECAC was weaker then it has been.
    Then why did 2016-17 have a similar number of wins to this year?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I too think Perry will be gone. After RPI gave up back to back 7 goal games and Perry didn't get a start, that was a pretty clear signal that Smith had no intention of playing him. I doubt St.Denis is getting any scholly money - but that's just a hunch.
    Nice observation. +1
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  14. #34
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    Seth Appert has the highest winning percentage in the history of USA U 18 team. Not "Belly Aching". Facts are facts. this should have not been a 6 win team, especially in light that the ECAC was weaker then it has been.
    Where did you get your facts Aspy?

    We'll deal with the fact that Appert is just a coach at the USNTDP U18 level, later
    Class of '93

    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Then why did 2016-17 have a similar number of wins to this year?
    Brought team to Natl tourney, 2nd place finish in ECAC a few yrs ago. Won't happen again, certainly now.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by ServinisScores View Post
    Where did you get your facts Aspy?

    We'll deal with the fact that Appert is just a coach at the USNTDP U18 level, later
    I would know, take my word for it.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by ServinisScores View Post
    Where did you get your facts Aspy?

    We'll deal with the fact that Appert is just a coach at the USNTDP U18 level, later
    When Monty leaves Denver for NHL, will be the heir apparent.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  18. #38
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    I would know, take my word for it.
    I'd like you to show your source.

    Before I reveal mine.
    Class of '93

    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Then why did 2016-17 have a similar number of wins to this year?
    18 wins the yr before, think you'll see that aqain soon??
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  20. #40
    I'm an Implant Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Shore of MA
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    When Monty leaves Denver for NHL, will be the heir apparent.
    you mean Hair Apparent.
    Class of '93

    16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •