Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

The spring signing period started on Wednesday has anyone seen any announcements of recruits signing?

Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    The spring signing period started on Wednesday has anyone seen any announcements of recruits signing?
    None about any of ours. Then again, historically we hear about relatively few.

BTW, Drew Melanson was named HE Player of the Month for March http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...04/apr12mh.php
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Made in the USA

I look forward to cmmarkham's illustrious words.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Today is 15 April 2018. There are 174 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Drew Melanson wins both the Mist Improved and Unsung Hero Awards. Well deserved.

And the George V. Brown Most Valuable Player Award goes to Jordan Greenway!

Neither player here (of course).
    Mist Improved.

Today is 16 April 2018. There are 173 days until RPI's next game.

Not a player, I just crush a lot
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Meh, at the end of the day, once you arrive at the destination, "how" means jack.
    So, did you arrive at the destination back when RIBS was a major concern of yours?
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
    So, did you arrive at the destination back when RIBS was a major concern of yours?
    In case you're expecting a response, perhaps you should re-read the previous statement.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Link to article which contains links to the NA skaters, NA goalies, etc. lists https://www.nhl.com/news/andrei-svec...?tid=277764372.

No one either currently or to be a recruit is listed.

Eternal optimist
    I look forward to cmmarkham's illustrious words.
    I think it will have to wait until tomorrow. I had some company for dinner yesterday and am still tired. If I try to write tonight I'll be making mist-takes too!

Spoiler alert: there was no mention made at all of next year's schedule or planned renovations to HFH.

Today is 17 April 2018. There are 172 days until RPI's next game.

Not a player, I just crush a lot
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht

In case you're expecting a response, perhaps you should re-read the previous statement.
    No, you didn't.

Got it. Therefore, my statement was pretty clearly applicable.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Eternal optimist

Okay, here's the first installment in my ever-longer hockey banquet report. Apologies to those on the RPI sports listserv, who will have already seen something very similar.

The banquet was held this past Saturday. Before the day even arrived, we knew this year's edition of the banquet was going to be a different animal. It was held at the Hilton Garden Inn instead of the alumni house and, since it was scheduled for 11 am rather than in the evening, it was a brunch with no alcohol available. None of this bothered me, but what did bother me is that about a third of the team was missing. For some reason the banquet was scheduled for a date that those seniors playing pro hockey - which was all three of them this year - were likely to still be away. As it happened, Mike Prapavessis coincidentally made it back just a few days before the banquet. Viktor Liljegren and Jared Wilson did not.

In addition, as we already knew, seven players besides the seniors are not returning next year. Some were cut, others may have chosen to leave. Those things have happened before, although not in these numbers, but they were not usually announced before all the players attended the banquet. The hockey banquet has always been intended to honor the accomplishments of the season and the departing seniors and that's a little awkward to do without the team's third-, fourth- and fifth-highest scorers (Evan Tironese, Jared Wilson and Viktor Liljegren). Luckily, the team's highest GPA and therefore the Scholar Athlete award belonged to someone still on the team, Mike Prapavessis.

So that's my griping - on to the events of the day. The whole affair seemed to be just a little bit rushed and skimmed-down from other years. There weren't individual presenters for the awards - all were awarded by master of ceremonies Al Shibley, RPI's former Sports Information Director and current public address announcer. Other years the awards were presented by hockey alumni including at times Matt Murley, Scott Basiuk, Kirk MacDonald and Marc Cavosie. I didn't see any of them or any other hockey alumni in attendance this year (although Kirk, of course, is still coaching in the ECHL). Okay, maybe I wasn't quite done griping, but I am now - really!

The awards given, as Ralph already posted from my Twitter feed, were as follows:

Outstanding Freshman - Linden Marshall (.904 saves percentage, 3.17 GAA)

Erick James Student Athlete - Mike Prapavessis (4.0 GPA last semester, 3.87 GPA overall)

Best Defensive Player - Jared Wilson

Best Offensive Player - Jacob Hayhurst

Ben Mayo Most Inspirational Player - Viktor Liljegren (they didn't say why, not that I disagree)

Most Improved Player - TJ Samec

MVP - Jacob Hayhurst (leading scorer with 12 goals and 11 assists)

Both AD Lee McElroy and RPI President Shirley Jackson gave speeches before the awards, and Coach Dave Smith spoke at the end of the event. I'll give some thoughts about their speeches in another ridiculously long post soon. Mike Prapavessis gave a speech, of course, and the other two seniors sent speeches which were read by other players. I'll cover their speeches in yet another mind-numbingly long post.

There was a nicely done slideshow running before the speeches and awards with a lot of pictures taken of the guys in off-ice situations - in Ireland, doing community service, and at team events throughout the year. Of course, the pictures included the guys no longer on the team.

There were also slideshows for each senior, with childhood pictures, RPI highlights and memories from other players. They too were very nicely done. There was not, as there has been other years, a video highlighting the team's accomplishments on the ice this year. Maybe they couldn't come up with enough.

I think overall there were less people in attendance than I'm used to seeing, perhaps because of the different start time. All in all, it was a nice time and a chance to see the boys once again and hear Dr. McElroy's, Dr. Jackson's, and Coach Smith's thoughts on the season and the future of RPI hockey. No surprises there - they all basically said it's on the right track and we'll see great improvements soon. After hearing it for so many years, I could have given that part of the speech myself. But maybe they really mean it this time. Hope springs eternal!

More coming sometime soon.
    Charlene

As a note to Charlene’s Post, Praps was not included on Cincinnati's Playoff Roster hence his availability.
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Eternal optimist
    Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    As a note to Charlene’s Post, Praps was not included on Cincinnati's Playoff Roster hence his availability.
    Mike told me that Cincinnati's AHL affiliate, the Rochester Americans, sent a bunch of players down (probably because Buffalo sent them players) so Cincinnati dropped all their late-season pickups.

Thanks for the report charlene. I am shocked SAJ was in the house.Not surprised it had kind of a subdue feel after the season we had.

Not many men players there.

I must have been sleeping when it was announced that the Student Athlete award would be named for Erick James and the Most Inspirational Player award would be named for Ben Mayo.

Pardon my ignorance, but who are (or were) Erick James and Ben Mayo?

Thread Information