Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

  1. #981
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    47

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    I agree with 2nd semester rush. It was that way in my freshman year 1963. Should also include restricting freshman women from going to fraternity houses 1st semester.

    Too much change for 1st semester freshman. My trust in the administration has gone down completely in the last 15 years. RPI needs to report all student problems not just Greeks.

  2. #982
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,005

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by RPI67 View Post
    I agree with 2nd semester rush. It was that way in my freshman year 1963. Should also include restricting freshman women from going to fraternity houses 1st semester.

    Too much change for 1st semester freshman. My trust in the administration has gone down completely in the last 15 years. RPI needs to report all student problems not just Greeks.
    It was second semester a year later also.

  3. #983
    RPI'88, BU'99
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    This has nothing to do with Greek life. My son was a member of a fraternity at RPI and had a great experience.
    It was stated that the reason for shutting down Greek life for a period was due to a number of unsavory incidents. I would and do feel the same about the entire school population.
    Again, I don't want to be lumped in with the Baylors, MSUs, Penn States, and now Texas A&Ms of the world.
    We should applaud Shirley for getting out ahead of this before we go down that path.
    Let me be clear here. The student body and Alum have every right to their opinion on the way she handles her Presidency, but not when it comes to the good name of RPI.
    OK... that's fair.

  4. #984
    Eternal optimist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    564

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    It looks like Tom's announcement is having an effect. From the RPI Sports list. I will leave the names out.


    Another message
    I think those are actually both the same person. The have the same signature anyway, despite coming from two different email addresses. That amounts to a half million hit to RPI thanks to Tom's post - pretty impressive!
    Charlene

  5. #985
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,949

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    I think those are actually both the same person. The have the same signature anyway, despite coming from two different email addresses. That amounts to a half million hit to RPI thanks to Tom's post - pretty impressive!
    Maybe they went here
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

  6. #986
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,819

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmarkham View Post
    I think those are actually both the same person. The have the same signature anyway, despite coming from two different email addresses. That amounts to a half million hit to RPI thanks to Tom's post - pretty impressive!
    They are indeed the same person. Highly doubt the empress will care.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  7. #987
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,005

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    From Charlene's post on the RPI Sports list about the new recruits. The reale [sic] reason that Tom doesn't want to be on WRPI for hockey games this season:

    Those of you who, like me, are memory-challenged will be happy to hear that this year we will have two Tommys, two Chases, two Bradys, two Jakes AND two Jacobs! (Okay, one Jacob and one Jakub)! And we have both Linden Marshall and Ture Linden. I'm definitely going to need a cheat sheet!

  8. #988
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,005

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Today is 29 June 2018. There are 100 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.

  9. #989
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,949

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October


    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

  10. #990
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,005

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Today is 30 June 2018. There are 99 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.

  11. #991
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,819

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Double digits *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

    A good day.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  12. #992
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Side, HFH
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    I don' t have much first hand knowledge of Greeks from my day at RPI. I was an independent, and further, I lived with my family approximately 2 miles from campus.
    (And yes, when I was accepted by RPI I thought I won the lottery! Tom, I get that 'Proud to be RPI...') Working on The Poly, lunch with my commuter friends in the McNeil Room (we loved Willie Stanton)and close friends among my '77 classmates and particularly my Management classmates were my lifeline to my college experience.

    I know lots of college age young people from my parish and I hear from them about health of Greek life at a number of schools. Some of the news re: substances, hazings and sexual assault is really hard to listen to, but I've never heard about RPI in that context except for a few incidents reported in the Albany Times Union.

    If RPI were trying to 'get in front of this,' that would be one thing, but the administration's apparent desire to seek out ever-growing control over all facets of life at the 'Tute leaves me questioning even their motives in providing for public safety.

    For folks who are familiar with Union College's approach to Greek life, I hope it never gets to that. From the 70's thru 00's, they may have well been Union dorms.

  13. #993
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Side, HFH
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Double digits *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

    A good day.
    Yes, it is...

  14. #994
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,819

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by fr. joe View Post
    For folks who are familiar with Union College's approach to Greek life, I hope it never gets to that. From the 70's thru 00's, they may have well been Union dorms.
    Given their proposal in 2006, I think it's sadly the end goal. And I may have another motive: Remember, in 2009, when they forced the kids to live on campus for two years? And then, tie into that the Summer Arch? The motive here is more money, because they're on the verge of being flat broke, and the alums don't want to support oppression. Who owns the Greek houses and collects the rent? Is it the fraternity itself, the 'tute, or someone else (Troy FD members own a number of apartments near RPI)? It wouldn't surprise me if it were the first one, and typical carpe diem is happening.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  15. #995
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,645

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by fr. joe View Post

    I know lots of college age young people from my parish and I hear from them about health of Greek life at a number of schools. Some of the news re: substances, hazings and sexual assault is really hard to listen to, but I've never heard about RPI in that context except for a few incidents reported in the Albany Times Union.
    fr. joe, I can't tell you how surprised I am at your comments.

    I will ask you the same question I asked Dude (for which I still haven't received an answer).
    How many such incidents will it take before you think the administration takes action?
    This is not about Greek life. It is about protecting the student body against themselves.
    I have a daughter who went to RPI and had the best time of her life. And for that reason, I love this school.
    They gave her incredible confidence and self esteem to go on and earn a Phd at Yale.
    I think that every woman on campus should get that same treatment, and not be subject to an "incident".
    Give it up, in this instance, the school is doing their job.
    And as for Tom, running away from a problem never solved anything.
    I will miss you and your hockey insight. Good luck with the rest of your life.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  16. #996
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,819

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    It is about protecting the student body against themselves.
    And that, therein, lies the exact reason why we are disappointed with the administration. College is a way for kids to discover themselves, and make their own choices in life. They already have two parents they were "mind-slaves" to, and they don't need SAJ, or you, or anyone else to also be one. Yes, parents can influence a child's life, the same way we all influence our children, nieces/nephews, younger siblings, or whatever classification it may be. We cannot expect to wrest that as perpetual control, lest we end our family line at us.

    This country succeeds on leaders, not followers. If it's just a bunch of followers, all you have is slavery. If college is supposed to produce leaders of tomorrow, how about we embrace that, and see who will emerge. If you're just going to have a slave master, then it's time to leave the plantation, just as Tom did, and create the better tomorrow that we see in our minds.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  17. #997

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    34,762
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    And that, therein, lies the exact reason why we are disappointed with the administration. College is a way for kids to discover themselves, and make their own choices in life. They already have two parents they were "mind-slaves" to, and they don't need SAJ, or you, or anyone else to also be one. Yes, parents can influence a child's life, the same way we all influence our children, nieces/nephews, younger siblings, or whatever classification it may be. We cannot expect to wrest that as perpetual control, lest we end our family line at us.

    This country succeeds on leaders, not followers. If it's just a bunch of followers, all you have is slavery. If college is supposed to produce leaders of tomorrow, how about we embrace that, and see who will emerge. If you're just going to have a slave master, then it's time to leave the plantation, just as Tom did, and create the better tomorrow that we see in our minds.
    Who acts "in loco parentis"?

  18. #998
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    13,645

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    And that, therein, lies the exact reason why we are disappointed with the administration. College is a way for kids to discover themselves, and make their own choices in life. They already have two parents they were "mind-slaves" to, and they don't need SAJ, or you, or anyone else to also be one. Yes, parents can influence a child's life, the same way we all influence our children, nieces/nephews, younger siblings, or whatever classification it may be. We cannot expect to wrest that as perpetual control, lest we end our family line at us.

    This country succeeds on leaders, not followers. If it's just a bunch of followers, all you have is slavery. If college is supposed to produce leaders of tomorrow, how about we embrace that, and see who will emerge. If you're just going to have a slave master, then it's time to leave the plantation, just as Tom did, and create the better tomorrow that we see in our minds.
    You are absolutely right, except for one thing. We are talking about illegal activities. And someone has to be the policeman.
    You still haven't answered my question. How many of these activities should we let go.
    If women start coming out of the woodwork to make accusations and this goes national, who are you going to blame? Let me guess, it will be Shirley's fault. You can't have it both ways.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  19. #999
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Side, HFH
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    fr. joe, I can't tell you how surprised I am at your comments.

    I will ask you the same question I asked Dude (for which I still haven't received an answer).
    How many such incidents will it take before you think the administration takes action?
    This is not about Greek life. It is about protecting the student body against themselves.
    I have a daughter who went to RPI and had the best time of her life. And for that reason, I love this school.
    They gave her incredible confidence and self esteem to go on and earn a Phd at Yale.
    I think that every woman on campus should get that same treatment, and not be subject to an "incident".
    Give it up, in this instance, the school is doing their job.
    And as for Tom, running away from a problem never solved anything.
    I will miss you and your hockey insight. Good luck with the rest of your life.
    EHF, very fair question to ask me.

    I have a great concern for student safety. Even one incident of alcohol abuse or sexual assault is cause for concern and response. My comment was directed to the thought that I haven't heard about problems at RPI but for very limited reports I have seen in the local newspaper. I read more about incidents at other local colleges than at RPI. The press has rightly shined a light on this with their coverage.

    It seems to me that problems would be related to the student body, not just fraternity/sorority life. You make a good point on that. Why did RPI focus on fraternities? Perhaps they have a greater level of confidence in the quality of dorm life under the oversight of Residence Life and the RAs. I just don't know.

    I wish I had greater confidence in the administration's actions at this time. The administration's absorption of the Student Union and their handling of student free speech on campus has planted the seed in my head that what's happening now may be a response to student safety concerns and/or it may be borne out of a desire to extend greater control over the fraternities and sororities.
    Last edited by fr. joe; 06-30-2018 at 10:43 AM.

  20. #1000
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,819

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

    First off, EHF, I am not going to be answering your loaded question, because it is a preposterous thing to presume. Good and bad things are going to happen. You cannot realistically hope to smash out every single bad thing that happens, because like perfection, it is a goal you can chase but never catch.

    Secondly, Fr. Joe, given this has happened several times, it is definitely all about control. They'll use safety as a façade to get the donkeys to agree to it, but you are absolutely correct in the alternative motive. I applaud your ability to look beyond what is directly in front of you.
    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 06-30-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •