X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Thnx for the report CM. Great news that Crystal stopped by the event ...continued thoughts and prayers to Nolan on his recovery.

So its Confirmed 11 kids departing. 3 seniors and 8 others are gone. Wow. thats gonna take a few chews to swallow. As I've said before, Smitty deserves the benefit of time to do things his way ...but he's out on the plank now sending that many kids packing. Here's hoping the arrow starts pointing up for our squad.
    Did I count wrong? I thought it was 7 gone besides the seniors. Or are you maybe counting Kyle St. Denis, who I still consider a question mark?

I agree that so many cuts after his first year kind of puts Coach Smith on the hot seat for getting something accomplished. And, as I've mentioned before, I worry about team morale when it's clear that anyone, even juniors, can be cut at any time. I'm not sure that's the way to get the best out of players, but obviously Dave Smith thinks it is and I'm not a coach. I'm just a listener.
    Charlene

Comment

• Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
      Did I count wrong? I thought it was 7 gone besides the seniors. Or are you maybe counting Kyle St. Denis, who I still consider a question mark?

I agree that so many cuts after his first year kind of puts Coach Smith on the hot seat for getting something accomplished. And, as I've mentioned before, I worry about team morale when it's clear that anyone, even juniors, can be cut at any time. I'm not sure that's the way to get the best out of players, but obviously Dave Smith thinks it is and I'm not a coach. I'm just a listener.
      Can't see having four keepers next year. So if Perry is staying, then St.Denis has to be odd man out.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post

It isn't clear that the juniors who are not there (Jesper O and Tironese) were cut. It seems more likely that they are moving on like Melanson did.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Can't see having four keepers next year. So if Perry is staying, then St.Denis has to be odd man out.
          That makes sense. I was just counting what we know for sure and not assuming that what makes sense to us is what will happen, but I can't argue with your logic!
          Last edited by cmmarkham; 03-26-2018, 09:00 PM.
          Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            It isn't clear that the juniors who are not there (Jesper O and Tironese) were cut. It seems more likely that they are moving on like Melanson did.
            Good point. In fact, I'm pretty confident that is the case for Evan. It seems unlikely in Jesper's case though, and we know he already cut Bradley Bell as a junior last year.
            Charlene

Comment

Today is 27 March 2018. There are 193 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by cmmarkham View Post
                Good point. In fact, I'm pretty confident that is the case for Evan. It seems unlikely in Jesper's case though, and we know he already cut Bradley Bell as a junior last year.
                From what I have been told the Orvhall brothers along with Tironese decided to move on as did St. Denis (in his case he's staying at school).... the other players were the coaches decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                  From what I have been told the Orvhall brothers along with Tironese decided to move on as did St. Denis (in his case he's staying at school).... the other players were the coaches decision.
                  I guess that we are starting over. It is going to be another long season with that many freshmen in the lineup.
                  We are going to see what kind of coach we have, and what kind of system we play. But if we don't get someone who can put the puck in the net, it will just be more of the same.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    I guess that we are starting over. It is going to be another long season with that many freshmen in the lineup.
                    We are going to see what kind of coach we have, and what kind of system we play. But if we don't get someone who can put the puck in the net, it will just be more of the same.
                    I don't disagree. I would add that we allowed something like 123 GA (2nd only to to SLU I think) this season, so keeping pucks out of our net would be a good place to start.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                      Should have been. You don't do that to a kids confidence.
                      After thinking about it, I can now understand why he wasn't pulled. Of all of those goals, how many of them were soft? How many of them were because of a breakdown in defending in front of him? From what I could tell, they weren't his fault. It's the D that left both him AND Perry out to dry. When a goalie is pulled, it's because he's having difficulties in net. Marshall was doing absolutely everything he could, and both Smith and Jewell must see that in him.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                        But if we don't get someone who can put the puck in the net, it will just be more of the same.
                        I believe we have a few players that can put the puck in the net although their individual stats may not be reflective of their abilities. The issue is two fold, this team has not been a good passing team the past number of years. That starts on the back end IMO. On the front end, there has been a lot of selfish play in those same years from players who don't think an assist is as valuable as a goal. Passing up scoring opportunities of others who may have been in better scoring positions. Again that is IMO.

I agree with Wicked that we need to keep the puck out of the net and this starts with better play by our DMen and our Goalkeepers. Another year of big changes. Maybe and just maybe the coach has kept those players that he feels will buy into what he is attempting to bring to this program. If next year is the same and there is no improvement and by improvement I mean a 15 win season then I don't think you'll see things get better for a very long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          After thinking about it, I can now understand why he wasn't pulled. Of all of those goals, how many of them were soft? How many of them were because of a breakdown in defending in front of him? From what I could tell, they weren't his fault. It's the D that left both him AND Perry out to dry. When a goalie is pulled, it's because he's having difficulties in net. Marshall was doing absolutely everything he could, and both Smith and Jewell must see that in him.
                          It's not about fault and I wasn't blaming Marshall (though he is prone to allowing a soft goal or two.). I like the kid and expect good things as he matures.

It's about changing the mindset of the team and giving your goalie a mental period/game off. You give the kid a mental night off to work the gate and watch the game ...for his mental health. A huge component of goaltending is mental and allowing ~23 goals in that 4 game stretch didn't accomplish much for Marshall. One man's opinion .
                          Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 03-27-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

It's not about fault and I wasn't blaming Marshall (though he is prone to allowing a soft goal or two.). I like the kid and expect good things as he matures.

It's about changing the mindset of the team and giving your goalie a mental period/game off. You give the kid a mental night off to work the gate and watch the game ...for his mental health. A huge component of goaltending is mental and allowing ~23 goals in that 4 game stretch didn't accomplish much for Marshall. One man's opinion .
                            Don't you also have some experience with that position? If my recollection is correct, obviously I'm going to take your experience into account. And you do have a point, given the D seemed to play a lot tougher in the Dartmouth game after the 4 goal pull. I don't entirely buy the mental argument because he did get his only shutout thus far the very next week. What good did we see from that, as well as the other successes (I will include "good ties", such as Harvard and tOSU much earlier in the year), that we can use as a ground?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Don't you also have some experience with that position? If my recollection is correct, obviously I'm going to take your experience into account. And you do have a point, given the D seemed to play a lot tougher in the Dartmouth game after the 4 goal pull. I don't entirely buy the mental argument because he did get his only shutout thus far the very next week. What good did we see from that, as well as the other successes (I will include "good ties", such as Harvard and tOSU much earlier in the year), that we can use as a ground?
                              If you don't believe in the mental importance, you need to pick up a copy of Ken Dryden's book. It's truly an encyclopedia on the position.

Again, I'm not at all blaming Marshall. A goaltender is only as good as the defense playing in front of him, and ours was really bad. Point being, barring a nagging injury we didn't know about, it's hard to figure how Perry didn't see any ice time.

Comment

Ok, so now that the "fire sale" has begun can the RPI program be placed at face value as a Princeton and UMASS respectively. I say this because UMASS has a new coach, sweeps clean with his new broom and sees marked improvement. Princeton has couple years under new coach, buys into "the system" and advances to the NCAA's. Curious as to what the masses may think. The pieces appear to be there, and I would agree the the 6 man unit in front of the goalie needs to be better. So I guess my optimism is high for the upcoming season because I see what these other two programs have achieved.

Comment

Working...
                                X