Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Quote Originally Posted by 25+years View Post
    I know Bennett has a strong success aspect, but he just strikes me as a guy who has a streak of anger a mile wide. Kind of like John Tortorella. Maybe I am wrong about him. And when you are looking to schmooze the alumni, there has to be a "like" factor to you. Quinn and Parker were likeable guys. I watched Quinn's newsconference with the Rangers. He handles himself incredibly well. Bennett strikes me as a guy who doesn't really want to talk to people outside his niche. Maybe I am biased by the Bennett-SA fiasco at the Capital Cup game a couple years back. For me that incident seemed totally out of character for SA. But Bennett seemed to be right at home with that behavior. I suspect it will be a big factor in the decision if he doesn't get the job. But if he does, I imagine the powers that be will keep him on a short leash. Admittedly I know nothing about McEachern.
    QFT

Re: the need for a short leash. Maybe some of 'Bennett being Bennett' would play better in some Hockey East circles than in the ECAC.

FWIW

SLU nope
    RPI nope
    PC nope

Don’t know if I would classify his year as solid. Missed 1/3 of year and had 1-4-5 in 24 games.
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Today is 4 June 2018. There are 124 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.

hockey

Union gonna hire Ben Barr? Would be another FU to rpi

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    Union gonna hire Ben Barr? Would be another FU to rpi
    You're missing one step in your disgust, one which isn't going to be happening on account that Bennett isn't a finalist.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

"Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Today is 5 June 2018. There are 123 days until RPI's next game.

I'm an Implant Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You're missing one step in your disgust, one which isn't going to be happening on account that Bennett isn't a finalist.
    Um, as of 2:30 June 5, it's between Albie O'Connell and Bennett.
    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by ServinisScores View Post
    Um, as of 2:30 June 5, it's between Albie O'Connell and Bennett.
    From what I read on the BU thread, Bennett wasn't one. Granted, things can change.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

"Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

DULUTH, Ga. – The Atlanta Gladiators announced Tuesday that Head Coach and General Manager of Hockey Operations, Chuck Weber has accepted a coaching position at a Division I NCAA School and will not return for the 2018-19 season.

“Switching to the college ranks is something I’ve been looking at for a number of years and the timing was right to make the change,” said Weber. “Not only will this be a new challenge for myself after 19 years in professional hockey but it will add a stability for me and my family which is hard to get in the pro game.” DULUTH, Ga. – The Atlanta Gladiators announced Tuesday that Head Coach and General Manager of Hockey Operations, Chuck Weber has accepted a coaching position at a Division I NCAA School and will not return for the 2018-19 season. The school in which Weber has accepted his new position at will be announced at a later date. The Gladiators are now actively searching for the franchise’s sixth Head Coach and General Manager of Hockey Operations...........http://www.atlantagladiators.com/news/?article_id=3971
    Last edited by turk181; 06-05-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    DULUTH, Ga. – The Atlanta Gladiators announced Tuesday that Head Coach and General Manager of Hockey Operations, Chuck Weber has accepted a coaching position at a Division I NCAA School and will not return for the 2018-19 season.

“Switching to the college ranks is something I’ve been looking at for a number of years and the timing was right to make the change,” said Weber. “Not only will this be a new challenge for myself after 19 years in professional hockey but it will add a stability for me and my family which is hard to get in the pro game.” DULUTH, Ga. – The Atlanta Gladiators announced Tuesday that Head Coach and General Manager of Hockey Operations, Chuck Weber has accepted a coaching position at a Division I NCAA School and will not return for the 2018-19 season. The school in which Weber has accepted his new position at will be announced at a later date. The Gladiators are now actively searching for the franchise’s sixth Head Coach and General Manager of Hockey Operations...........http://www.atlantagladiators.com/news/?article_id=3971
    That is weird.

Today is 6 June 2018. There are 122 days (4 months) until RPI's next game.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    From what I read on the BU thread, Bennett wasn't one. Granted, things can change.
    It's Albie according to the BU thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    That is weird.
    I just read an interview about Chuck Weber from April of this year. He played college hockey at U Albany (as well as soccer). He is from the Buffalo area so I imagine his desire to be closer to home is understandable. They haven't announced the school yet, but his familiarity with the area here and proximity to his hometown would make this a good fit for him. Not to mention there are not many openings in college hockey at this time of year. Although I see the head job is still open at Alaska Anchorage. If that floats your boat. The interview portrays him as a guy who is pretty passionate about coaching and a guy who struggled, academically, to be able to play in college. But he did what he had to do and so slowing his career down a bit ( and a pay cut I imagine) seems to make more sense now. He seems to be a guy who is looking for the right fit for himself and for his family. I suspect this will be a stepping stone for a few years. For me, it makes a lot more sense than my first take on it.

I still wonder, as others probably do, if this means that Nolan Graham will be unable to fulfill the duties of AC due to his injury. There can only be two paid ACs by NCAA rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I still wonder, as others probably do, if this means that Nolan Graham will be unable to fulfill the duties of AC due to his injury. There can only be two paid ACs by NCAA rules.
    That's what perplexes me. I presume Nolan will be on a medical leave of absence for this season. However, even if he has connections to the area and wants a change of lifestyle, I can't imagine Weber is relocating for a temporary position. I hope and pray that this is not an indication that Nolan will be unable to continue in his chosen career on a permanent basis.

I'm an Implant Engineer

I have a different take. He's here in case the current coach is deemed to not be suitable, and Coach Smith is under pressure we don't outwardly see. Weber must be pretty homesick to leave an ECHL coaching job for an assistant role in a bottom-feeder program, in a lower profile league. Do you think he's Coach Smith's hire? Coach is also pretty prescient on twitter and I haven't seen a welcome tweet yet...

on the surface, none of this makes sense.
    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

More mystery. The article linked to the tweet which I posted in post #816 was apparently removed.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-06-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Thread Information