Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Originally posted by jcmcpherson View Post
    Sounds like they're willing to sacrifice a good tournament with the best teams making the final 4 for the sake of travel...Russell, please enlighten me to the inner workings of the tournament teams and seedings...
    The rules for seeding and selecting team were followed, to the letter. The only glitch was that the East committee appears to have made an error (actual or tactical) in ranking Utica ahead of Oswego and Trinity. This is the process mandated by the NCAA. In other sports the same cries are heard every year. Some of us keep trying to explain how it works. Go to d3hockey.com to see an explanation.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

If the UCHC had an AQ, then we'd lose Pool B, which drops UWSP into the Pool C discussion. The Committee would have compared UWSP with the highest ranked Eastern team left (Trinity !).

UWSP wins WIN .768 to .731
      Trinity wins SoS .524 to .510+
      UWSP wins RNK .400 to .375
      No Common Opponents.

So who goes?
      If it's Trinity, it's a 9/3 split.

So, once again, it is all RIT's fault.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        You know who you are. Have at it. Find a KRACH in their armor.
        Interesting, that the final D-3 KRACH is suddenly unavailable on USCHO... What a co-inky-dink!

But, if memory serves from when that was still up a day or two ago -and factoring in the three cheap AQ's- Endicott gets an AL, Marian beats Trinity and Oswego for the last Pool C, and Utica wins Pool B rather easily, while Point is out.

Makes at least as much sense as what we have now, and there's no smokey-room BS involved.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-06-2018, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
          If Colby wins that game this bracket has them facing Hobart or Genny - which guarantees they break the 500 mile rule in the QF. If Geneseo hosted Nichols and Fitchburg went to Geneva the 500 rule could have still been broke in the QF....but it would be less likely than what they have in this bracket.

Sure seems like 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5 matchups would have made more sense (and would be a more common approach). I've got to think they didn't follow this (more traditional) path for a reason...
          Please stop. You'll upset the D-3 apologists on here (both of them), and you're suggesting that the "rules" should actually be enforced, or are fundamentally meaningful.

Shame on you.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-06-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Interesting, that the final D-3 KRACH is suddenly unavailable on USCHO... What a co-inky-dink!
            This is going to be a really embarrassing question for me to ask -- but where was the KRACH on USCHO?

As far as it disappearing, I'll look into it if it really did. It's not like USCHO has anything to do with the NCAA. It's an independent news site, which has often been critical of the NCAA if necessary.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              This is going to be a really embarrassing question for me to ask -- but where was the KRACH on USCHO?

As far as it disappearing, I'll look into it if it really did. It's not like USCHO has anything to do with the NCAA. It's an independent news site, which has often been critical of the NCAA if necessary.
              Direct link (saw it when I was looking at the D1 numbers)

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/krach/d-iii-men/

Comment

Originally posted by UCAlum32 View Post
                Direct link (saw it when I was looking at the D1 numbers)

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/krach/d-iii-men/
                That is not the current one....its not even from this year!..............you can tell because Utica's SOS is 9th best in the nation.
                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Already been said, but if you click on the D-poll, it's on a side-bar to the right.

It's been up all season, and updated nearly instantly as games go final. Why it suddenly reverted to an earlier (and now, irrelevant) ranking is curious... I'm pretty sure that a certain member the Eastern committee and NUProf had a hand in that, though... And yes, probably Russian trolls as well.

Hope it comes back up, though. Certain folk love to bash the KRACH, but I've never seen a better metric. And, aside from Point getting the Pool B, it was (IIRC) very nearly congruent with the AL selections that we currently have, and similar results have been the case for a few years now.

Ergo, not so much selection-squawking from me since maybe 2014? (Thank God for the D-3 "Deep State".)

Now, let's work on the AQ process. This 2018 field is a bit of a mess.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-07-2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Already been said, but if you click on the D-poll, it's on a side-bar to the right.

It's been up all season, and updated nearly instantly as games go final. Why it suddenly reverted to an earlier (and now, irrelevant) ranking is curious... I'm pretty sure that a certain member the Eastern committee and NUProf had a hand in that, though... And yes, probably Russian trolls as well.

Hope it comes back up, though. Certain folk love to bash the KRACH, but I've never seen a better metric. And, aside from Point getting the Pool B, it was (IIRC) very nearly congruent with the AL selections that we currently have, and similar results have been the case for a few years now.

Ergo, not so much selection-squawking from me since maybe 2014? (Thank God for the D-3 "Deep State".)

Now, let's work on the AQ process. This 2018 field is a bit of a mess.
                    I’m looking forward to the UCHC having the AQ.
                    2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
                      I’m looking forward to the UCHC having the AQ.
                      Ya know, Benny, I'm not.

Say EC got-in with a tournament upset this year, and a 11-14-3 record... Would you really feel that berth was deserved?

(And I'd say the same thing if UC had that record, BTW... At least award the AQ to the RS champ. I'd love to see the UCHC be the only first conference to do that, and re-think the entire existing AQ travesty.)
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-07-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Ya know, Benny, I'm not.

Say EC got-in with a tournament upset this year, and a 11-14-3 record... Would you really feel that berth was deserved?

(And I'd say the same thing if UC had that record, BTW... At least award the AQ to the RS champ. I'd love to see the UCHC be the only first conference to do that, and re-think the entire existing AQ travesty.)
                        Yes, and I would feel even better if they beat Utica to get that AQ. 👍
                        2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Yes, and I would feel even better if they beat Utica to get that AQ. ��
                          It makes the RS champ play the game.....and prove they are still the best team......if a lower team outplays the RS Champ and wins......They were the better team at that time.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Yes, and I would feel even better if they beat Utica to get that AQ. 👍
                            Explain, if you will, how that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                              It makes the RS champ play the game.....and prove they are still the best team......if a lower team outplays the RS Champ and wins......They were the better team at that time.
                              What a steaming crock of BS, as if one game should ever negate all the preceding 24 in any remotely rational sense...

You clearly have zero grasp of the very simple concept of sample-size.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-07-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

What a steaming crock of BS, as if one game should ever negate all the preceding 24 in any remotely rational sense...

You clearly have zero grasp of the very simple concept of sample-size.
                                Its not sample size....its who wins the most important game of the season......if its not the case why have a tournament of any kind.....at the end of the season just hand the trophy to the number one ranked team.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                                X