Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Originally posted by jcmcpherson View Post
    I happen to think the NCAA Div 3 Men's and Women's Tournaments need some serious work and consideration. As for the Men's...When you have the two top teams in the east (Geneseo #3 traveling to Hobart #5) playing in the first round while Nichols #13 and University of New England #7 play unranked teams. You are going to lose one of the top 5 teams in the country in the Quarterfinals. Now the Women's tournament has the Adrian #5 traveling to the east to play Elmira #3 and Hamline #7 gets a first round bye and then gets to play the winner of the #6 vs. #8. I guess geography benefits the teams that are not that good because we can't ask them to travel...
    This is NOT how the teams are ranked. The polls mean absolutely NOTHING!!!!
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      This is NOT how the teams are ranked. The polls mean absolutely NOTHING!!!!
      True, but if you look at the rankings that do matter it really isn't much better.

#4 travels to #3
      while
      Unranked travels to #8

Geography clearly matters more than putting together a bracket that would pass scrutiny otherwise. And I don't buy that Salve Regina deserves the winner of 6/7 in addition to a bye since that is... not how brackets are usually constructed. They are already very protected with the first round bye.
      #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
        True, but if you look at the rankings that do matter it really isn't much better.

#4 travels to #3
        while
        Unranked travels to #8

Geography clearly matters more than putting together a bracket that would pass scrutiny otherwise. And I don't buy that Salve Regina deserves the winner of 6/7 in addition to a bye since that is... not how brackets are usually constructed. They are already very protected with the first round bye.
        Sounds as though there were cases of the 500 mile rule limiting who could play at UNE. Again, the most sacrosanct rule in DIII bracket making is if there is a bracket that can avoid flights, that bracket will be the one to be used, regardless of "bracket integrity."
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Sounds like they're willing to sacrifice a good tournament with the best teams making the final 4 for the sake of travel...Russell, please enlighten me to the inner workings of the tournament teams and seedings...
          Last edited by jcmcpherson; 03-06-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            Sounds as though there were cases of the 500 mile rule limiting who could play at UNE. Again, the most sacrosanct rule in DIII bracket making is if there is a bracket that can avoid flights, that bracket will be the one to be used, regardless of "bracket integrity."
            If Colby wins that game this bracket has them facing Hobart or Genny - which guarantees they break the 500 mile rule in the QF. If Geneseo hosted Nichols and Fitchburg went to Geneva the 500 rule could have still been broke in the QF....but it would be less likely than what they have in this bracket.

Sure seems like 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5 matchups would have made more sense (and would be a more common approach). I've got to think they didn't follow this (more traditional) path for a reason...
            Last edited by llama; 03-06-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              In terms of the process of determining who the champion is, it doesn't matter. If you fail to be beat Genny at home in round 1, or fail to beat them in Round 2, you still didn't beat them and *congratuations* you join the large pool of teams who didn't win it all.
              I completely agree. I'm just saying that, as a DIII hockey fan, Geneseo v. Hobart is a game I really want to watch.
              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
                If Colby wins that game this bracket has them facing Hobart or Genny - which guarantees they break the 500 mile rule in the QF. If Geneseo hosted Nichols and Fitchburg went to Geneva the 500 rule could have still been broke in the QF....but it would be less likely than what they have in this bracket.

Sure seems like 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5 matchups would have made more sense (and would be a more common approach). I've got to think they didn't follow this (more traditional) path for a reason...
                For whatever reason they were more concerned with having the #1 seed play #6 or #7 in the second round instead of #4 or #5.
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                  I completely agree. I'm just saying that, as a DIII hockey fan, Geneseo v. Hobart is a game I really want to watch.
                  And now you're guaranteed to get it!
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I agree, Geneseo vs. Hobart should be a great game, but in the semi's, not the first round...

Comment

I agree, Geneseo vs. Hobart should be a great game, but in the semi's, not the first round...
                      You mean QF. Neither Geneseo or Hobart is ranked in the top 4 of this tournament. They've lined up the tourney so that if the top four teams win, they would all make it to the semi-finals. I just can't believe Salve Regina and U of New England are #3 and #4....
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                        *Find their stream*
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I guess it's geography, that's the only thing I can figure...

Comment

Sounds like they're willing to sacrifice a good tournament with the best teams making the final 4 for the sake of travel...Russell, please enlighten me to the inner workings of the tournament teams and seedings...

It's not hard. Read the rules.....
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Cannot wait for this battle.
                              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226630

Comment

No.

I'm not trying to be a dick (at least not this time), but this has been discussed in a billion different places, including the NCAA website itself. Do your own homework.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X