The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Actually, the field is fairly reasonable, IMO. The committee has done a decent job recently within the constraints they have to deal with. As per usual, the tournament AQ's were a wrench in the gears.
    The whole thing is a **** tournament, would you rather they just end the season and give the #1 team on the krach the trophy without playing any games? Win and your in, end of story. If you win all your games from here on out your the national champion no matter how much you cry about it. If Colby wins every game from here on out would you say they don't deserve to be the national champions?
    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
      The whole thing is a **** tournament, would you rather they just end the season and give the #1 team on the krach the trophy without playing any games? Win and your in, end of story. If you win all your games from here on out your the national champion no matter how much you cry about it. If Colby wins every game from here on out would you say they don't deserve to be the national champions?
      Yes

Comment

Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

The case is that, except the teams that swim in Pool B, the route to get to the national championship begins with the first round of the league tournaments. There is one Pool B selection, and a collection of "lucky losers" who get a second chance. The NCAA intends its national tournaments to be tournaments of champions. If you can't be champion of your league you are getting a gift to be allowed to play for the national championship.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          The case is that, except the teams that swim in Pool B, the route to get to the national championship begins with the first round of the league tournaments. There is one Pool B selection, and a collection of "lucky losers" who get a second chance. The NCAA intends its national tournaments to be tournaments of champions. If you can't be champion of your league you are getting a gift to be allowed to play for the national championship.
          And plus, for the 10 millionth time, the leagues themselves have chosen to have these post-season tournaments, not the NCAA. The NESCAC could have decided to just send Trinity and not have a post-season tournament (or have a tournament and just not award the auto-bid for it). Utica, through a historic comedy of errors, still doesn't have an auto-bid, but that's another discussion.
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Not sure this counts as a shaft but Hobart 's likely path to a championship is beating Geneseo in the Cooler, likely going to Maine to play UNE ( having not moved past UNE in final RR despite having been tied at # 2 two weeks ago and Hobart going undefeated since then , and UNE got creamed by Nichols?) and then likely beating St. Norbert followed by Adrian on back to back nights.......now that is one hell of a gauntlet

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
              Not sure this counts as a shaft but Hobart 's likely path to a championship is beating Geneseo in the Cooler, likely going to Maine to play UNE ( having not moved past UNE in final RR despite having been tied at # 2 two weeks ago and Hobart going undefeated since then , and UNE got creamed by Nichols?) and then likely beating St. Norbert followed by Adrian on back to back nights.......now that is one hell of a gauntlet
              As a Geneseo fan, I second this. We won our conference tournament and did what was expected and all we got was a really tough first round draw, a possible bus trip to Maine for another tough draw, and absolutely the toughest path to a championship in the field.
              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                As a Geneseo fan, I second this. We won our conference tournament and did what was expected and all we got was a really tough first round draw, a possible bus trip to Maine for another tough draw, and absolutely the toughest path to a championship in the field.
                I believe Geneseo is more than 500 miles away from U. of New England. Hobart is only 450 miles away. I think both of you would be hosting Colby in a second round game. And it could be worse - you could be Trinity, who got shafted by their own regional committee.
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Do that and you deserve to be National Champs!
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                    Do that and you deserve to be National Champs!
                    Except for the awarding of byes (which can make teams play. extra games), the issue of who plays who is overrated. If you can't beat the team you face, then you don't deserve to win the title. EOM

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                      Don't worry, the last 3 visitors that played at the Cooler in the first round thought it was home ice. Hoping the odds are with the Statesmen this time. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        Except for the awarding of byes (which can make teams play. extra games), the issue of who plays who is overrated. If you can't beat the team you face, then you don't deserve to win the title. EOM
                        Really thought Hobart had a good chance to move up to #2 in East and get a bye, playing Geneseo is no bye. Oh well, ,should be happy to just be playing more hockey.

Comment

Really thought Hobart had a good chance to move up to #2 in East and get a bye, playing Geneseo is no bye. Oh well, ,should be happy to just be playing more hockey.
                          Makes for good TV for us neutral observers.
                          Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                            I believe Geneseo is more than 500 miles away from U. of New England. Hobart is only 450 miles away. I think both of you would be hosting Colby in a second round game. And it could be worse - you could be Trinity, who got shafted by their own regional committee.
                            I'm picking Colby to beat UNE. And not because it would be great for me to see either Hobart or Geneseo host a Quarterfinal game. But because I really don't think UNE's style is conducive to playoff hockey.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                              Makes for good TV for us neutral observers.
                              In terms of the process of determining who the champion is, it doesn't matter. If you fail to be beat Genny at home in round 1, or fail to beat them in Round 2, you still didn't beat them and *congratuations* you join the large pool of teams who didn't win it all.

Comment

I happen to think the NCAA Div 3 Men's and Women's Tournaments need some serious work and consideration. As for the Men's...When you have the two top teams in the east (Geneseo #3 traveling to Hobart #5) playing in the first round while Nichols #13 and University of New England #7 play unranked teams. You are going to lose one of the top 5 teams in the country in the Quarterfinals. Now the Women's tournament has the Adrian #5 traveling to the east to play Elmira #3 and Hamline #7 gets a first round bye and then gets to play the winner of the #6 vs. #8. I guess geography benefits the teams that are not that good because we can't ask them to travel...

Comment

Working...
                                X