Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    So, you want to ban the AQ. What replaces it? All 12 hockey teams being selected by the committee? Look at the arguing for Marian/Utica/Oswego/Trinity. Now multiply that by 12 spots? That's a "no" from me.
    I've said it a-plenty, but if there are AQ's in the offing, it makes infinitely more sense to award them to the RS champions.

And, in the absence of any sort of AQ's, there are plausible metrics to employ to rate every team against one another. (...I'd utter the "K" word, but that would prompt yet another tiresome dissertation from you-know-know regarding how the D-3 sky would certainly fall as a result.)

Thing is, it truly wouldn't involve rocket-science to make this joke of a process transparent and equitable. There would be no confusion, and no committees would be needed, except to site the games.

And I'd bet the farm that it would take little more than a few conference-calls among the D-3 old boys to get this done, and that the big-money NCAA brass wouldn't care one way or the other. (They clearly don't now, FCS!)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-08-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Pool A:

Salve
      Fitchburg
      Augsburg
      Adrian
      Hobart
      Trinity
      Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
      UNE
      Geneseo
      Endicott

This is how the field would look if the RS champs got the AQ's, and the AL's were self-selected via the KRACH... Far, far better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Pool A:

Salve
        Fitchburg
        Augsburg
        Adrian
        Hobart
        Trinity
        Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
        UNE
        Geneseo
        Endicott

This is how the field would look if the RS champs got the AQ's, and the AL's were self-selected via the KRACH... Far, far better.
        Try Again

MASCAC RS Champ was Plymouth St.
        NEHC RS Champ was Norwich
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Pool A:

Salve
          Fitchburg
          Augsburg
          Adrian
          Hobart
          Trinity
          Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
          UNE
          Geneseo
          Endicott

Far, far better? Oswego lost its last three games and couldn’t score. I don’t think them getting in would be better. Can’t wait for the UCHC AQ 😉
          2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Pool A:

Salve
            Fitchburg
            Augsburg
            Adrian
            Hobart
            Trinity
            Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
            UNE
            Geneseo
            Endicott

And UWSP would still be the Pool B...
            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Pool A:

Salve
              Fitchburg
              Augsburg
              Adrian
              Hobart
              Trinity
              Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
              UNE
              Geneseo
              Endicott

Yep, basically best teams in the country. At least worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Try Again

MASCAC RS Champ was Plymouth St.
                NEHC RS Champ was Norwich
                Hobart won the NEHC RS by one point over Norwich, per this site. But you're right about Plymouth; switch them out with Fitch and we're all set.

Comment

Hobart won the NEHC RS by one point over Norwich, per this site. But you're right about Plymouth; switch them out with Fitch and we're all set.
                  Ummmm....Norwich was the NEHC RS champ. That is why the final was played at Norwich!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Putting Norwich in Pool A bumps Hobart to Pool C which bumps out .....
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Uscho for some reason keeps tracking playoff games for points in the standings which is obviously incorrect. I’m not sure if things don’t get coded right on their backend or what.

I can assure you norwich was the regular season champion.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        Uscho for some reason keeps tracking playoff games for points in the standings which is obviously incorrect. I’m not sure if things don’t get coded right on their backend or what.

I can assure you norwich was the regular season champion.
                        Thank you.

All I bother to see from here in "greater" Utica -as far as the NEHC goes- is what USCHO reports... And the published RS standings appeared legit to me, as in every team having 21 results in conference play, and Hobart edging-out Norwich by a single point. (And, FWIW, all the data seemed to be RS results, but there's no way in the world I'm going to bother to take the time to vet that.)

Tell ya what: if this humble site can't get their facts straight, why would we even bother with it, or to attempt to crunch the erroneous numbers that they "provide"? That situation obviates any serious discussion of anything.

Maybe we should all petition USCHO to do no more work than getting the scores right, and publishing the KRACH and the RPI every week? The articles on here have never really been worth a read, anyway.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-09-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you.

All I can see from here in "greater" Utica -as far as the NEHC goes- is what USCHO reports... And the published RS standings appeared legit to me, as in every team having 21 results in conference play, and Hobart edging-out Norwich by a single point.

Tell ya what: if this humble site can't get their facts straight, why would we even bother with it, or to attempt to crunch the erroneous numbers that they "provide"? That situation obviates any serious discussion of anything.

Maybe we should all petition USCHO to do no more work than getting the scores right, and publishing the KRACH and the RPI every week? The articles on here have never really been worth a read, anyway.
                          Each NEHC team played 18 league games. If you see 21 results for Norwich and Hobart, then that includes 3 tournament games. After the 18 game schedule, Norwich led by one point.

For your interest, here is an article about league tournaments in D1 basketball.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hing/32788921/

I don't disagree with this point of view, by the way. The last league to get into the league tournament business in basketball was the Ivy League.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Surprise surprise Marian gets beat, what a joke. So glad 6 teams came from 2 conferences that's a real tournament seeking a champion, About as bad as FBS.

Comment

How good was Hobart really, will never know... would've been nice to have a game on level playing field against them.

But best of all the two "Best Conferences" clearly superior by heads and feet above all others only have 2 horses in the race each, how wild is that.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                Each NEHC team played 18 league games. If you see 21 results for Norwich and Hobart, then that includes 3 tournament games. After the 18 game schedule, Norwich led by one point.

For your interest, here is an article about league tournaments in D1 basketball.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hing/32788921/

I don't disagree with this point of view, by the way. The last league to get into the league tournament business in basketball was the Ivy League.
                                And, to add to the idiocy of the whole deal, there is zero financial incentive for the vast bulk of D-3 hockey to stage these side-shows... Dam near all of them lose money.

(I'm guessing, however, that you'd be all-in on the current situation -as you've been for years now- had Norwich garnered a bid in that fashion. )

Comment

Working...
                                X