Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Hobart is very, very good. Two of the best four teams in the tournament played last night.
    Hobart has been the most consistently excellent program I've seen much of in my 18 years of watching D-3... And I still don't understand how they do it.

I mean: Geneva is a hole, The Cooler is a world-class dump, etc., but Hobart still manages to recruit and succeed almost every single season.

It was a shame that Hobart and Geneseo had to cancel one of each other out this early, though. They were set on a collision-course too soon, but that's not atypical stuff in the D-3 world.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-11-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Hobart has been the most consistently excellent program I've seen much of in my 18 years of watching D-3... And I still don't understand how they do it.

I mean: Geneva is a hole, The Cooler is a world-class dump, etc., but Hobart still manages to recruit and succeed almost every single season.

It was a shame that Hobart and Geneseo had to cancel one of each other out this early, though. They were set on a collision-course too soon, but that's not atypical stuff in the D-3 world.
      It's ironic how your time period matches Mark Taylor's at Hobart and the meteoric rise he took with that program. Hobart used to be the perennial cellar dwellar year in and year out in the old ECAC West.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Umm, I was at the game last night and I'm capable of judging the quality of hockey teams...
        Silly me. Here I thought you had some hard evidence to back up your claim. I'm curious as to what western team you think Hobart and Geneseo are both better than, since I'm sure you've watched a ton of games involving western teams this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
          Silly me. Here I thought you had some hard evidence to back up your claim. I'm curious as to what western team you think Hobart and Geneseo are both better than, since I'm sure you've watched a ton of games involving western teams this year.
          I said two of the best four teams in the country. For some odd reason, you assumed I did not mean any western teams. In fact, I include SNC and Adrian amongst those four. And I never said who was better than whom.

But your original snide response followed by yet another snide response I’m sure will be followed by a third snide response.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            LOL Though I won’t dispute those two claims, Hobart/William Smith is a very fine school to go to, so it has that going for it. (And I don’t know if you have ever actually been on campus. It is very nice.) Look how much William Smith hockey has improved. They, too, have overcome those two concerns you bring up.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

LOL Though I won’t dispute those two claims, Hobart/William Smith is a very fine school to go to, so it has that going for it. (And I don’t know if you have ever actually been on campus. It is very nice.) Look how much William Smith hockey has improved. They, too, have overcome those two concerns you bring up.
              I'd send my daughter to Hobart in a heartbeat if that's where she wanted to go.

One of my favorite Geneseo hockey memories is actually from the Cooler. Collins' fantastic overtime winner as a freshman, splitting the defense and scoring from his knees. I remember sitting next to Zach Vit's father at the game; we knew we had something really special at that point to help bring the Knights to the next level.

Comment

I said two of the best four teams in the country. For some odd reason, you assumed I did not mean any western teams. In fact, I include SNC and Adrian amongst those four. And I never said who was better than whom.

But your original snide response followed by yet another snide response I’m sure will be followed by a third snide response.
                When you say two of the four best, that seems rather definitive to me. And no I assumed you meant two western teams. I just want to know how you know. So far you haven't answered the question. I'm curious how much you've watched of SNC, Adrian and UWSP this year to know that both Hobart and Geneseo are both better than one of those three, along with everyone else from the east.

Comment

While it may, its been no secret that Coach Taylor has lost recruits due to the facilities. What he has done with an (lets call a spade a spade) off campus community rink (and even that is a stretch) is remarkable. Having said that, the new President at Hobart is VERY VERY Pro-Athletics and more important Pro-Hockey. I believe (not confirmed but comes from a very good source) he played hockey at Hobart back in the 80's. I do know there has been a lot of "financial" questions raised in the alumni office. I am not sure we need an Oswego Campus Center or something like the RIT rink, but Hobart normally doesn't go half ***** when it comes to its facilities (which is why the hockey program is such a mystery). Now granted 20 years ago Hobart was...well...a joke. Their team pretty much matched their rink. I know that is part of the reason my family is looking to leave the youth program. The City handcuffs your youth programs with ice time. Mens and Womens Varsity, Mens and Womens Club, Ice Skating, College Public Skate, City Public Skate, City Learn to Skate, and then all the youth program teams.... all fighting for a handful of ice slots each day/weekend...add in the compressor failures, you should have seen the ice a couple weeks ago ...and then the shoe box locker rooms....The Hobart locker room is acceptable, but its nothing over the top....

Having said all that, you have to repeat what an amazing job Coach Taylor has done. I can only imagine what kind of team he would have with top notch facilities.... hopefully we can find out some day. I think its well deserved for a program that has risen from the cellar like Hobart....
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                    When you say two of the four best, that seems rather definitive to me. And no I assumed you meant two western teams. I just want to know how you know. So far you haven't answered the question. I'm curious how much you've watched of SNC, Adrian and UWSP this year to know that both Hobart and Geneseo are both better than one of those three, along with everyone else from the east.
                    Can't "two of the four best" mean

1. Adrian
                    1. SNC
                    3. Geneseo
                    4. Hobart

??

Looking at common opponents, I don't think anyone would be wrong with ANY of those four....but keep trolling....
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                      Can't "two of the four best" mean

1. Adrian
                      1. SNC
                      3. Geneseo
                      4. Hobart

??

Looking at common opponents, I don't think anyone would be wrong with ANY of those four....but keep trolling....
                      It's certainly possible that those four could be the best four. But if you're going to make a definitive statement, then I want to know the basis for that statement. How much has he seen these teams? Has he talked to coaches who've said so? I don't think it's that much to ask, even though the bar is set low for many these days...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                        It's certainly possible that those four could be the best four. But if you're going to make a definitive statement, then I want to know the basis for that statement. How much has he seen these teams? Has he talked to coaches who've said so? I don't think it's that much to ask, even though the bar is set low for many these days...
                        We forgot...you're the professional
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          We forgot...you're the professional
                          No...I forgot. I forgot the predictability of when you're boxed in and don't have an answer to a simple question the ad hom attacks start getting thrown around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                            No...I forgot. I forgot the predictability of when you're boxed in and don't have an answer to a simple question the ad hom attacks start getting thrown around.
                            Seems to me that might describe a number of your posts as well.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              Seems to me that might describe a number of your posts as well.
                              If that's what it takes to call someone out for avoiding a simple answer to a simple question...so be it. I can be reasonable if others are the same. #MakeThisBoardGreatAgain

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                It's ironic how your time period matches Mark Taylor's at Hobart and the meteoric rise he took with that program. Hobart used to be the perennial cellar dwellar year in and year out in the old ECAC West.
                                Not so much "ironic" as it is "congruent". That is a really good program, out there in the middle of nowhere.

The W, er, the UCHC, really misses Hobart. And maybe the NEHC wishes that Hobart would just go home, already.

Comment

Working...
                                X