The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

In related news- Utica College just went on lockdown. Seriously.
    Oswego State 1980 Grad
    (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Where are the Oswego fans? This is your thread.
      Drunk on Red Stripe....
      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
        Any selection/omission Fishman disagrees with moves to the top of the list...
        Actually, the field is fairly reasonable, IMO. The committee has done a decent job recently within the constraints they have to deal with. As per usual, the tournament AQ's were a wrench in the gears.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerFan11 View Post
          There were a lot of teams that should have been in over Marian. Oswego and Trinity would be the top two for sure. D3Hockey does a great job breaking down their version of Bracketology and there's no way Marian should have been in based on NCAA criteria.
          Thing is, the D-3 criteria are so fungible as to be meaningless. A smoke-screen, if the committee wants to use them as such. Until -if ever- D-3 installs some transparent system, there's always going to be a "We got screwed!" thread here.

(Having said that, I have to agree with Marian besting both Oswego and Trinity in the rankings, and I don't feel majorly violated as a Utica fan, either.)
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-05-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Thing is, the D-3 criteria are so fungible as to be meaningless. A smoke-screen, if the committee wants to use them as such. Until -if ever- D-3 installs some transparent system, there's always going to be a "We got screwed!" thread here.

(Having said that, I have to agree with Marian besting both Oswego and Trinity in the rankings, and I don't feel majorly violated as a Utica fan, either.)
            sure

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
              sure
              Well, I don't... It wasn't a complete miscarriage of justice, FCS.

Comment

This script was found in the trash by a friend of a friend. I can not vouch for it's authenticity but it seems plausible.

Code:
                Scene: [Heavy smoke filled room. Camera pans back enabling viewers to discern a table and a handful of men, some with hands on head, some punching computer keys.]

Man #1 [James, staring into monitor]: “Ok, so the primary criteria metrics favor Oswego for the last pool C slot.”
                Man #2 [Leonard]: “Dammit Jim, we’re humans, not computers and a few of us have trouble with a team getting in while losing their last three on home ice while only scoring one goal late in the last game.”
                Man #3 [S.T.]: “Agreed, computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them. Logic and practical information do not seem to mesh here but what other answer is there? Trinity? They failed just as well.”
                Man #4 [Montgomery]: “Aye, if they had only won yesterday this would have bloody been a wee bit easier!”
                Man #5 [Chris]: “What about Utica? They won both regular and post season, beat Salve, had Oswego beat and took Adrian to the wire there.”
                Montgomery [shaking]: “Aye, the haggis is in the fire for sure!!”
                James [pounding on table]: “Gentlemen, we have to make a decision, time is running out!”
                Chris [lights another cig]: “I know, I know… so it’s down to Oswego, Trinity and Utica, right?” 
                S.T. [calmly]: “In critical moments, men sometimes see exactly what they wish to see and I’m seeing an alternative option.”
                Montgomery: “And what might that be?”
                S.T.: “If we select Marian so as to avoid having to make a most difficult decision, one could not argue our choice of a 7-5 split. This is logically a fairer solution.
                Chris: “Excellent reasoning! Then there’d be no gloating and infighting amongst themselves, they’d focus their attacks not on us but on Marian whom they probably know little about since their hockey knowledge is mostly centered in the East.”
                James [animated]: “Yes, this is absolutely brilliant. So, do we have consensus on selecting Marian under the auspices that this year a 7-5 split is better than 8-4?
                Everyone [standing up]: “Aye!” 

[Everyone shake hands, pat each other on backs. Doors slide open, room empties, fade to black.]

Comment

I am not a big Utica Fan by any stretch of the imagination but I really did wish they got in. They are a very solid team and could really challenge everyone in this years tourney. I remember many times the old ECAC N getting in multiple teams w/o an AC and Utica wins the Reg season. and tourney and gets snubbed how ironic. I can never remember 2 conferences getting 3 teams in each. Yes a conference getting 3 teams in does happen but not 2. Must have been some good smoke in the room this year.
                  Best luck to all. Not complaining about my team not getting in but Oswego just didn't finish the job.
                  Oswego'88

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
                    This script was found in the trash by a friend of a friend. I can not vouch for it's authenticity but it seems plausible.

Code:
                    Scene: [Heavy smoke filled room. Camera pans back enabling viewers to discern a table and a handful of men, some with hands on head, some punching computer keys.]

Man #1 [James, staring into monitor]: “Ok, so the primary criteria metrics favor Oswego for the last pool C slot.”
                    Man #2 [Leonard]: “Dammit Jim, we’re humans, not computers and a few of us have trouble with a team getting in while losing their last three on home ice while only scoring one goal late in the last game.”
                    Man #3 [S.T.]: “Agreed, computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them. Logic and practical information do not seem to mesh here but what other answer is there? Trinity? They failed just as well.”
                    Man #4 [Montgomery]: “Aye, if they had only won yesterday this would have bloody been a wee bit easier!”
                    Man #5 [Chris]: “What about Utica? They won both regular and post season, beat Salve, had Oswego beat and took Adrian to the wire there.”
                    Montgomery [shaking]: “Aye, the haggis is in the fire for sure!!”
                    James [pounding on table]: “Gentlemen, we have to make a decision, time is running out!”
                    Chris [lights another cig]: “I know, I know… so it’s down to Oswego, Trinity and Utica, right?” 
                    S.T. [calmly]: “In critical moments, men sometimes see exactly what they wish to see and I’m seeing an alternative option.”
                    Montgomery: “And what might that be?”
                    S.T.: “If we select Marian so as to avoid having to make a most difficult decision, one could not argue our choice of a 7-5 split. This is logically a fairer solution.
                    Chris: “Excellent reasoning! Then there’d be no gloating and infighting amongst themselves, they’d focus their attacks not on us but on Marian whom they probably know little about since their hockey knowledge is mostly centered in the East.”
                    James [animated]: “Yes, this is absolutely brilliant. So, do we have consensus on selecting Marian under the auspices that this year a 7-5 split is better than 8-4?
                    Everyone [standing up]: “Aye!” 

[Everyone shake hands, pat each other on backs. Doors slide open, room empties, fade to black.]
                    Well done. A+ for creative writing, C- for formatting.
                    Oswego State 1980 Grad
                    (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

The Post mortem
                      http://d3hockey.com/ncaa-tournament/...ions-explained

The fault seems to come down to the East ranking Utica above Oswego and Trinity. The latter two never entered into the Pool C discussion.

Utica's SoS was thit on a shingle and that's what doomed them.
                      Last edited by joecct; 03-05-2018, 09:14 PM.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by DIIIFan View Post
                        I am not a big Utica Fan by any stretch of the imagination but I really did wish they got in. They are a very solid team and could really challenge everyone in this years tourney. I remember many times the old ECAC N getting in multiple teams w/o an AC and Utica wins the Reg season. and tourney and gets snubbed how ironic. I can never remember 2 conferences getting 3 teams in each. Yes a conference getting 3 teams in does happen but not 2. Must have been some good smoke in the room this year.
                        Best luck to all. Not complaining about my team not getting in but Oswego just didn't finish the job.
                        Oswego'88
                        The problem, as always, was the gift-AQ's, but it wasn't quite as bad as it could have been this year... Only Fitchburg and Colby got completely free passes.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          The Post mortem

The fault seems to come down to the East ranking Utica above Oswego and Trinity. The latter two never entered into the Pool C discussion.

I realize that you were referencing the Marian comparison, but Point's SOS was #38 v. Utica's #45, IIRC, and not much to hang your hat on otherwise in that comparison... The Pool B selection was no where near a slam-dunk, but it sure was geographically convenient.

Still, whatever, this is typical D-3 stuff. I'm getting used to it. Not going to lose a wink of sleep as a result, and this year wasn't too bad in that overall regard.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-05-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I don't get what you mean by "geographically convenient."

If Point doesn't get in, Marian goes to Adrian, and SNC hosts Augsburg. Or SNC still gets an Augsburg/MU winner. The bracket would have been adjusted for four western teams. There's nothing magically better about the bracket with five western teams in it. It's not as if Adrian is playing east. There's still just a maximum of two western teams getting to Lake Placid.

If anything, it's less convenient, as two east and two west teams don't get byes to the quarters. (Unless UWSP, Adrian and SNC are three of the four best teams in the country, in the committee's view.)
                            Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 03-05-2018, 10:14 PM.
                            St. Norbert College Green Knights
                            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                            ---
                            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              The Post mortem

Once the final rankings were released, it was pretty obvious the East committee screwed themselves. You would never have seen this back in the day when the East committee had, shall we say, much stronger personalities on it.

Remember the year the East committee did the exact opposite and essentially played the West committee for fools? That’s what really started the eastern bias rants.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

A win over the #1 team in the East, 1-goal game against the #1 team in the West, and yet not in because of some ****ty metric that doesn't even make sense.

Not to mention getting ****ed out the AQ. **** the NCAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X