Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    Its not sample size....its who wins the most important game of the season......if its not the case why have a tournament of any kind.....at the end of the season just hand the trophy to the number one ranked team.

OK, so why not just forget the RS entirely, and play that weekend tournament in the first place? Sure would save a lot of travel expenses, and that last game of 3 is all that matters, anyway...
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-07-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Already been said, but if you click on the D-poll, it's on a side-bar to the right.
      Okay, found it. And it seems to have updated records at least for the teams I quickly checked.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

What a steaming crock of BS, as if one game should ever negate all the preceding 24 in any remotely rational sense...

You clearly have zero grasp of the very simple concept of sample-size.
        During the UNC/Duke game on Saturday, Jay Bilas (whom I believe is the best b'ball color guy on the planet) stated his preference of having all the tourney's at-large berths awarded prior to the league tournaments.

Interesting concept, since most of the mid-major powers can only hurt their chances during their league's tourney playing infinitely inferior competition. The dominant league's teams are much more likely to face better competition and enhance their SOS.

After the bloodbath that was this year's end-of-season, and considering the weight given to SOS, perhaps there will be pressure within some conferences to change the process of awarding their bid.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
          During the UNC/Duke game on Saturday, Jay Bilas (whom I believe is the best b'ball color guy on the planet) stated his preference of having all the tourney's at-large berths awarded prior to the league tournaments.
          Now that the tournament is expanded to 68 or 72 or whatever number of teams with many "first round" play in games, I think they should just formalize the process of letting the bubble teams play each other for the right to be in the tournament. If you win your conference and get an autobid you should be guaranteed to be seeded with a spot in the tournament proper. Force the fringe bubble teams to play their way in to the bracket.
          #OneKnight

Comment

Yes. My suggestion to any team is to go 50% during the regular season, no injuries, regular season games as practice and do nothing but prepare for the conference tournament. Absolutely no reason to have a successful regular season AQ's have and always will be a joke in every NCAA sport that utilizes.

Comment

OK, so why not just forget the RS entirely, and play that weekend tournament in the first place? Sure would save a lot of travel expenses, and that last game of 3 is all that matters, anyway...
              Your argument about "one game" would argue there should be no tournament whatsoever. After all, a "better" team might lose to an "inferior" team in a first round game.

The ideal situation would be to allow each conference two bids - one for the RS champ and one for the tournament champ. If the two happened to be the same team, guarantee that team a first round bye and allow the NCAA to select an extra team. Of course, this would require expansion of the bracket, so it won't happen. (This is the way the NCAA used to allocate teams in the twelve team DI hockey tournament until the traditional 4 conference alignment was broken up and the new conferences (like the AHA) meant that there weren't enough slots available. With 4 conferences and 8 slots there were 4 at large bids. Then, along came the (then) MAAC and continuing with the system would have left only two at large bids.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
                Yes. My suggestion to any team is to go 50% during the regular season, no injuries, regular season games as practice and do nothing but prepare for the conference tournament. Absolutely no reason to have a successful regular season AQ's have and always will be a joke in every NCAA sport that utilizes.
                except for maybe home ice advantage

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
                  AQ's have and always will be a joke in every NCAA sport that utilizes.
                  It depends on your goal.

If, as a school and as a conference, it is your goal to ensure access to & participation in the tournament, it makes sense. Right now, that's what the members choose to do: operate national tournaments of conference champions, with other teams added in to round out the field. And, everyone knows that coming in.

SNC may be a hockey powerhouse in a power league. But in every other sport, SNC plays in the fair-to-less-than-middling Midwest Conference. It wants that path and access to the national tournaments. And, who is to say the MWC champion doesn't deserve a shot? They are NCAA members just the same as every WIAC school that routinely ends the MWC champion's season in most sports. In D1 hoops, Florida Gulf Coast becomes Cinderella only because its conference has an auto-bid - otherwise it doesn't get selected.

Anytime a playoff is involved, there will be some sort of issue. A western conference NBA team may have a better record than an eastern conference team, but not make the playoffs. It happens.

Unless you subscribe to the position that every league should follow the English Premier League - two games home/home against every other team in the league with the standings determining the champion - a playoff will involve some inequity somewhere. While the EPL model works well for a 20-team league, I don't see how it works for NCAA sports.

So, you want to ban the AQ. What replaces it? All 12 hockey teams being selected by the committee? Look at the arguing for Marian/Utica/Oswego/Trinity. Now multiply that by 12 spots? That's a "no" from me.
                  St. Norbert College Green Knights
                  NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                  NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                  NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                  ---
                  SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                    Anytime a playoff is involved, there will be some sort of issue. A western conference NBA team may have a better record than an eastern conference team, but not make the playoffs. It happens.
                    Remember the year when the Patriots went 11-5 and did not make the playoffs while .500 teams did?
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      Remember the year when the Patriots went 11-5 and did not make the playoffs while .500 teams did?
                      That was fine with me . I can't stand the NY/New England teams in any sport

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        I am tired of WPTZ trying to make the whole area Patriot fans.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

+1
                          St. Norbert College Green Knights
                          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                          ---
                          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                            I am tired of WPTZ trying to make the whole area Patriot fans.
                            WCAX used to try to make the whole area "New York Football Giants" fans.

Comment

WCAX used to try to make the whole area "New York Football Giants" fans.
                              I am certainly not 100% New York fan.......I am a die hard Philadelphia Flyers Fan....In the last few years have lost interest in the NFL except Superbowl Sunday. I went with our family to an NBA game at TD Waterhouse Center back in 2004, I think that is the last NBA game I have watched, live or TV. I must admit though, I am a Yankees fan. I grew up watching all their games on WPIX. Lacrosse is not a big sport in the Plattsburgh area, but it is one hot sport in my hometown. I am from West Carthage, I ran firematics with Larry Powell, the father of Casey, Ryan and Mikey Powell. Some very famous names in Lacrosse from Syracuse University and pro Lacrosse.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                                It depends on your goal.

If, as a school and as a conference, it is your goal to ensure access to & participation in the tournament, it makes sense. Right now, that's what the members choose to do: operate national tournaments of conference champions, with other teams added in to round out the field. And, everyone knows that coming in.

SNC may be a hockey powerhouse in a power league. But in every other sport, SNC plays in the fair-to-less-than-middling Midwest Conference. It wants that path and access to the national tournaments. And, who is to say the MWC champion doesn't deserve a shot? They are NCAA members just the same as every WIAC school that routinely ends the MWC champion's season in most sports. In D1 hoops, Florida Gulf Coast becomes Cinderella only because its conference has an auto-bid - otherwise it doesn't get selected.

Unless you subscribe to the position that every league should follow the English Premier League - two games home/home against every other team in the league with the standings determining the champion - a playoff will involve some inequity somewhere. While the EPL model works well for a 20-team league, I don't see how it works for NCAA sports.

So, you want to ban the AQ. What replaces it? All 12 hockey teams being selected by the committee? Look at the arguing for Marian/Utica/Oswego/Trinity. Now multiply that by 12 spots? That's a "no" from me.
                                So make the regular season mean something with the winner getting the AQ. At least that makes sense. NCAA championship without the best teams is absurd

Comment

Working...
                                X