Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnieb View Post
    Yes. My suggestion to any team is to go 50% during the regular season, no injuries, regular season games as practice and do nothing but prepare for the conference tournament. Absolutely no reason to have a successful regular season AQ's have and always will be a joke in every NCAA sport that utilizes.
    except for maybe home ice advantage

It's A Great Day For Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnieb View Post
    AQ's have and always will be a joke in every NCAA sport that utilizes.
    It depends on your goal.

If, as a school and as a conference, it is your goal to ensure access to & participation in the tournament, it makes sense. Right now, that's what the members choose to do: operate national tournaments of conference champions, with other teams added in to round out the field. And, everyone knows that coming in.

SNC may be a hockey powerhouse in a power league. But in every other sport, SNC plays in the fair-to-less-than-middling Midwest Conference. It wants that path and access to the national tournaments. And, who is to say the MWC champion doesn't deserve a shot? They are NCAA members just the same as every WIAC school that routinely ends the MWC champion's season in most sports. In D1 hoops, Florida Gulf Coast becomes Cinderella only because its conference has an auto-bid - otherwise it doesn't get selected.

Anytime a playoff is involved, there will be some sort of issue. A western conference NBA team may have a better record than an eastern conference team, but not make the playoffs. It happens.

Unless you subscribe to the position that every league should follow the English Premier League - two games home/home against every other team in the league with the standings determining the champion - a playoff will involve some inequity somewhere. While the EPL model works well for a 20-team league, I don't see how it works for NCAA sports.

So, you want to ban the AQ. What replaces it? All 12 hockey teams being selected by the committee? Look at the arguing for Marian/Utica/Oswego/Trinity. Now multiply that by 12 spots? That's a "no" from me.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17, 2018
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Anytime a playoff is involved, there will be some sort of issue. A western conference NBA team may have a better record than an eastern conference team, but not make the playoffs. It happens.
    Remember the year when the Patriots went 11-5 and did not make the playoffs while .500 teams did?
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Remember the year when the Patriots went 11-5 and did not make the playoffs while .500 teams did?
    That was fine with me . I can't stand the NY/New England teams in any sport
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    I am tired of WPTZ trying to make the whole area Patriot fans.

It's A Great Day For Hockey

+1
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17, 2018
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    I am tired of WPTZ trying to make the whole area Patriot fans.
    WCAX used to try to make the whole area "New York Football Giants" fans.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

WCAX used to try to make the whole area "New York Football Giants" fans.
    I am certainly not 100% New York fan.......I am a die hard Philadelphia Flyers Fan....In the last few years have lost interest in the NFL except Superbowl Sunday. I went with our family to an NBA game at TD Waterhouse Center back in 2004, I think that is the last NBA game I have watched, live or TV. I must admit though, I am a Yankees fan. I grew up watching all their games on WPIX. Lacrosse is not a big sport in the Plattsburgh area, but it is one hot sport in my hometown. I am from West Carthage, I ran firematics with Larry Powell, the father of Casey, Ryan and Mikey Powell. Some very famous names in Lacrosse from Syracuse University and pro Lacrosse.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

It depends on your goal.

If, as a school and as a conference, it is your goal to ensure access to & participation in the tournament, it makes sense. Right now, that's what the members choose to do: operate national tournaments of conference champions, with other teams added in to round out the field. And, everyone knows that coming in.

SNC may be a hockey powerhouse in a power league. But in every other sport, SNC plays in the fair-to-less-than-middling Midwest Conference. It wants that path and access to the national tournaments. And, who is to say the MWC champion doesn't deserve a shot? They are NCAA members just the same as every WIAC school that routinely ends the MWC champion's season in most sports. In D1 hoops, Florida Gulf Coast becomes Cinderella only because its conference has an auto-bid - otherwise it doesn't get selected.

Unless you subscribe to the position that every league should follow the English Premier League - two games home/home against every other team in the league with the standings determining the champion - a playoff will involve some inequity somewhere. While the EPL model works well for a 20-team league, I don't see how it works for NCAA sports.

So, you want to ban the AQ. What replaces it? All 12 hockey teams being selected by the committee? Look at the arguing for Marian/Utica/Oswego/Trinity. Now multiply that by 12 spots? That's a "no" from me.
    So make the regular season mean something with the winner getting the AQ. At least that makes sense. NCAA championship without the best teams is absurd

Black Bear since D-2

I've said it a-plenty, but if there are AQ's in the offing, it makes infinitely more sense to award them to the RS champions.

And, in the absence of any sort of AQ's, there are plausible metrics to employ to rate every team against one another. (...I'd utter the "K" word, but that would prompt yet another tiresome dissertation from you-know-know regarding how the D-3 sky would certainly fall as a result.)

Thing is, it truly wouldn't involve rocket-science to make this joke of a process transparent and equitable. There would be no confusion, and no committees would be needed, except to site the games.

And I'd bet the farm that it would take little more than a few conference-calls among the D-3 old boys to get this done, and that the big-money NCAA brass wouldn't care one way or the other. (They clearly don't now, FCS!)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-08-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Black Bear since D-2

Pool A:

Salve
    Fitchburg
    Augsburg
    Adrian
    Hobart
    Trinity
    Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
    UNE
    Geneseo
    Endicott

This is how the field would look if the RS champs got the AQ's, and the AL's were self-selected via the KRACH... Far, far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Pool A:

Salve
    Fitchburg
    Augsburg
    Adrian
    Hobart
    Trinity
    Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
    UNE
    Geneseo
    Endicott

This is how the field would look if the RS champs got the AQ's, and the AL's were self-selected via the KRACH... Far, far better.
    Try Again

MASCAC RS Champ was Plymouth St.
    NEHC RS Champ was Norwich

Elmira College Fan
    Pool A:

Salve
    Fitchburg
    Augsburg
    Adrian
    Hobart
    Trinity
    Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
    UNE
    Geneseo
    Endicott

Far, far better? Oswego lost its last three games and couldnít score. I donít think them getting in would be better. Canít wait for the UCHC AQ 😉

Pool A:

Salve
    Fitchburg
    Augsburg
    Adrian
    Hobart
    Trinity
    Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
    UNE
    Geneseo
    Endicott

And UWSP would still be the Pool B...

Pool A:

Salve
    Fitchburg
    Augsburg
    Adrian
    Hobart
    Trinity
    Oswego

Pool B:

Utica

Pool C:

SNC
    UNE
    Geneseo
    Endicott

Yep, basically best teams in the country. At least worth watching.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Try Again

MASCAC RS Champ was Plymouth St.
    NEHC RS Champ was Norwich
    Hobart won the NEHC RS by one point over Norwich, per this site. But you're right about Plymouth; switch them out with Fitch and we're all set.

Hobart won the NEHC RS by one point over Norwich, per this site. But you're right about Plymouth; switch them out with Fitch and we're all set.
    Ummmm....Norwich was the NEHC RS champ. That is why the final was played at Norwich!

Putting Norwich in Pool A bumps Hobart to Pool C which bumps out .....

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Uscho for some reason keeps tracking playoff games for points in the standings which is obviously incorrect. Iím not sure if things donít get coded right on their backend or what.

I can assure you norwich was the regular season champion.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Uscho for some reason keeps tracking playoff games for points in the standings which is obviously incorrect. I’m not sure if things don’t get coded right on their backend or what.

I can assure you norwich was the regular season champion.
    Thank you.

All I bother to see from here in "greater" Utica -as far as the NEHC goes- is what USCHO reports... And the published RS standings appeared legit to me, as in every team having 21 results in conference play, and Hobart edging-out Norwich by a single point. (And, FWIW, all the data seemed to be RS results, but there's no way in the world I'm going to bother to take the time to vet that.)

Tell ya what: if this humble site can't get their facts straight, why would we even bother with it, or to attempt to crunch the erroneous numbers that they "provide"? That situation obviates any serious discussion of anything.

Maybe we should all petition USCHO to do no more work than getting the scores right, and publishing the KRACH and the RPI every week? The articles on here have never really been worth a read, anyway.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-10-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Thread Information