Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Colorado Cadets Fan

Re: The 2018 My Team Got the Shaft from the NCAA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Thank you.

All I can see from here in "greater" Utica -as far as the NEHC goes- is what USCHO reports... And the published RS standings appeared legit to me, as in every team having 21 results in conference play, and Hobart edging-out Norwich by a single point.

Tell ya what: if this humble site can't get their facts straight, why would we even bother with it, or to attempt to crunch the erroneous numbers that they "provide"? That situation obviates any serious discussion of anything.

Maybe we should all petition USCHO to do no more work than getting the scores right, and publishing the KRACH and the RPI every week? The articles on here have never really been worth a read, anyway.
    Each NEHC team played 18 league games. If you see 21 results for Norwich and Hobart, then that includes 3 tournament games. After the 18 game schedule, Norwich led by one point.

For your interest, here is an article about league tournaments in D1 basketball.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hing/32788921/

I don't disagree with this point of view, by the way. The last league to get into the league tournament business in basketball was the Ivy League.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Surprise surprise Marian gets beat, what a joke. So glad 6 teams came from 2 conferences that's a real tournament seeking a champion, About as bad as FBS.

How good was Hobart really, will never know... would've been nice to have a game on level playing field against them.

But best of all the two "Best Conferences" clearly superior by heads and feet above all others only have 2 horses in the race each, how wild is that.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Each NEHC team played 18 league games. If you see 21 results for Norwich and Hobart, then that includes 3 tournament games. After the 18 game schedule, Norwich led by one point.

For your interest, here is an article about league tournaments in D1 basketball.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hing/32788921/

I don't disagree with this point of view, by the way. The last league to get into the league tournament business in basketball was the Ivy League.
    And, to add to the idiocy of the whole deal, there is zero financial incentive for the vast bulk of D-3 hockey to stage these side-shows... Dam near all of them lose money.

(I'm guessing, however, that you'd be all-in on the current situation -as you've been for years now- had Norwich garnered a bid in that fashion. )

It's A Great Day For Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    And, to add to the idiocy of the whole deal, there is zero financial incentive for the vast bulk of D-3 hockey to stage these side-shows... Dam near all of them lose money.

(I'm guessing, however, that you'd be all-in on the current situation -as you've been for years now- had Norwich garnered a bid in that fashion. )
    I would venture a guess that most D3 hockey programs lose money every week, not just in the conference tournament. I doubt ticket revenue, etc. is enough to pay for salaries, equipment, travel, ice, etc.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17, 2018
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by OZrebel View Post
    How good was Hobart really, will never know... would've been nice to have a game on level playing field against them.

But best of all the two "Best Conferences" clearly superior by heads and feet above all others only have 2 horses in the race each, how wild is that.
    Hobart is very, very good. Two of the best four teams in the tournament played last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Hobart is very, very good. Two of the best four teams in the tournament played last night.
    Wouldn't know, our first tilt wasn't exactly even skating. And they didn't make it to us in the tourney.

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by OZrebel View Post
    Wouldn't know, our first tilt wasn't exactly even skating. And they didn't make it to us in the tourney.
    Need some cheese? Geesh...

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    I was very impressed with Hobart in the games I saw them this year. I was curious how their styles were going to match up. I felt Geneseo would be able to match their physicality and toughness.

Hobart might want to start declining hosting if they earn the right. Think thatís 3 straight years now theyíve lost at the Cooler. UMass Boston, Endicott and now Geneseo.

They clearly love playing in hostile atmospheres and thrive off it.

5x NCAA Champs - Pride of the West

And you know this how?

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I was very impressed with Hobart in the games I saw them this year. I was curious how their styles were going to match up. I felt Geneseo would be able to match their physicality and toughness.

Hobart might want to start declining hosting if they earn the right. Think thatís 3 straight years now theyíve lost at the Cooler. UMass Boston, Endicott and now Geneseo.

I don't think it's so much the atmosphere as it is the bigger ice. The team CAN skate, but call it the Stafford Effect....just little to no open ice in a shoe box ....

Blah, blah, blah. UNE smoked Geneseo I believe it was 7-3 at one point. Salve beats UNE twice. Watch out for the Seahawks. Beat Norwich, Adrian and others. What's makes Hobart so GOOD??? Wouldn't be surprised to seeColby win again.

Quote Originally Posted by nefan View Post
    Blah, blah, blah. UNE smoked Geneseo I believe it was 7-3 at one point. Salve beats UNE twice. Watch out for the Seahawks. Beat Norwich, Adrian and others. What's makes Hobart so GOOD??? Wouldn't be surprised to seeColby win again.
    Ok newbie.... when you're outshot 29-60.....congrats... gotta love scoreboard warriors.... there is more to a game than the final score. Geneseo > UNE....sorry you don't like it

Hockey Knight in Boston
    Geneseo outshot UNE 60-29. Not sure what happened in that one but itís not as simple as UNE smoked anybody. And for the record I donít think I or anybody would be surprised to see Colby win on Saturday. There are only good teams left playing this time of year and as the previous example shows anything can happen once the puck drops.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Ok newbie.... when you're outshot 29-60.....congrats... gotta love scoreboard warriors.... there is more to a game than the final score. Geneseo > UNE....sorry you don't like it
    Newbie. Funny. Correct there is more to the game than the final score BUT its the finals score that matters. Quality shots, scoring chances, etc...A lot of shots from the outside that night from Genny but that doesn't matter. As mentioned they are all good now and I was just stating that Genny and hobart may not be the two best!!

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

They lost to Oswego in the recent past as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nubs View Post
    And you know this how?
    Umm, I was at the game last night and I'm capable of judging the quality of hockey teams...

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

They lost to Oswego in the recent past as well.
    Ouch...correct. 4 straight years. Oswego was 2014-15.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

UNE does not play a style of hockey conducive to the playoffs. That's why I picked Colby to win. UNE's win over Geneseo right after the break was an example of that.

Geneseo won't make those type of mistakes in the playoffs.

Black Bear since D-2

Hobart has been the most consistently excellent program I've seen much of in my 18 years of watching D-3... And I still don't understand how they do it.

I mean: Geneva is a hole, The Cooler is a world-class dump, etc., but Hobart still manages to recruit and succeed almost every single season.

It was a shame that Hobart and Geneseo had to cancel one of each other out this early, though. They were set on a collision-course too soon, but that's not atypical stuff in the D-3 world.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-11-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Thread Information