Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM 2018 Offseason - A Punch to the Gutt

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    Veteran teams, built by layer upon layer of player development, produced four straight Big East titles from 2014-17.
    In my mind, this seems to be where we're falling short. Hopefully that can change.

Comment

The following excerpt is from a story on ESPN about Jay Wright, the head basketball coach at Villanova, and how he's built that school into a highly successful program. I was really struck by the following and how it can relate to our hockey program. Given our limitations in recruiting, etc., this is exactly what UVM needs to be doing:

As Villanova’s stature grew, so did its ability to recruit at the highest level. But not all superstars are cut out for Wright’s style, which puts a premium on upperclassmen and a selfless offensive philosophy. His 2010-11 team had five McDonald’s All-Americans on the roster, but it fell apart after a 16-1 start — ‘Nova went 5-11 the rest of the way. The following year was worse, a 13-19 bust that remains the most losses for a Wright-coached team.

That’s when Wright rolled up his monogrammed sleeves and reinvented his recruiting philosophy: He would spend less time chasing five-stars who were marginally invested in the college experience, and more time selecting players who fit his ideal program culture.

What’s happened since then has shot Wright to the top of his profession. Veteran teams, built by layer upon layer of player development, produced four straight Big East titles from 2014-17. And the past four seasons have simply been the best in program history — a 135-16 record, three No. 1 NCAA tournament seeds, two Final Fours, and possibly two national titles. Villanova’s unspectacular recruiting class rankings over the last five years are the most worthless stats in the sport.

“It’s not perfect all the time, but we’re honest with guys when they come in,” Wright said. “They know the upperclassmen in our program are respected. They know that they’re going to have to earn their playing time. And the guys that choose Villanova usually want that. They want the competitiveness to prove themselves. They want to be part of something bigger than themselves.”
      Sounds very much like the Union model. Rick Bennett, competing for recruits against the Ivies and HE, gets the most out of his players.
      Last edited by Miami Ice; 04-02-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

The following excerpt is from a story on ESPN about Jay Wright, the head basketball coach at Villanova, and how he's built that school into a highly successful program. I was really struck by the following and how it can relate to our hockey program. Given our limitations in recruiting, etc., this is exactly what UVM needs to be doing:

As Villanova’s stature grew, so did its ability to recruit at the highest level. But not all superstars are cut out for Wright’s style, which puts a premium on upperclassmen and a selfless offensive philosophy. His 2010-11 team had five McDonald’s All-Americans on the roster, but it fell apart after a 16-1 start — ‘Nova went 5-11 the rest of the way. The following year was worse, a 13-19 bust that remains the most losses for a Wright-coached team.

That’s when Wright rolled up his monogrammed sleeves and reinvented his recruiting philosophy: He would spend less time chasing five-stars who were marginally invested in the college experience, and more time selecting players who fit his ideal program culture.

What’s happened since then has shot Wright to the top of his profession. Veteran teams, built by layer upon layer of player development, produced four straight Big East titles from 2014-17. And the past four seasons have simply been the best in program history — a 135-16 record, three No. 1 NCAA tournament seeds, two Final Fours, and possibly two national titles. Villanova’s unspectacular recruiting class rankings over the last five years are the most worthless stats in the sport.

“It’s not perfect all the time, but we’re honest with guys when they come in,” Wright said. “They know the upperclassmen in our program are respected. They know that they’re going to have to earn their playing time. And the guys that choose Villanova usually want that. They want the competitiveness to prove themselves. They want to be part of something bigger than themselves.”
        ++1

Comment

yes this would be very nice to have a true team identity! The problem is Sneddon and his coaches are so inconsistence! The coaching style changes every year the kind of player they get changes all the time or they just dont get good ones because they cannot ID and develop the right way...but heard it all the time we want to recruit speed we want to recruit offense we dont care about size to we need to get bigger we want puck moving defensemen we want stay at home defenseman we will take a small goalie we want a big goalie we will play to score a lot of goals we cant score goals we dump and chase we will commit to blocking shots we let in tons of goals....
          This team has lacked identity for YEARS!!
          That is on the culture that is on the coach!
          What he had going in 2007 to 2010 was working and it got abandoned and its never been the same!

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
            yes this would be very nice to have a true team identity! The problem is Sneddon and his coaches are so inconsistence! The coaching style changes every year the kind of player they get changes all the time or they just dont get good ones because they cannot ID and develop the right way...but heard it all the time we want to recruit speed we want to recruit offense we dont care about size to we need to get bigger we want puck moving defensemen we want stay at home defenseman we will take a small goalie we want a big goalie we will play to score a lot of goals we cant score goals we dump and chase we will commit to blocking shots we let in tons of goals....
            This team has lacked identity for YEARS!!
            That is on the culture that is on the coach!
            What he had going in 2007 to 2010 was working and it got abandoned and its never been the same!
            I agree to an extent, although I feel we used to have an identity under Sneddon, which was to play good, hard-nosed defensive hockey and beat teams 2-1 or 3-2. At some point a decision was made to open up the offense, which as I understand it, was part of an effort to recruit more offensively-gifted players to UVM. The increase in offense has really never materialized, and meantime the defense has gone to he!!. I'm not saying we should go back to playing a trap, but we had an identity and it worked better than what we're doing now.

Comment

I agree Texas Cat, but I do think a more offensive style is the way to go long term. The question in my mind is whether Sneddon can successfully coach that style. There are only a handful of teams (Cornell comes to mind) that can compete at the highest levels of college hockey year after year with a purely defensive focus. And given the size of our ice sheet, a defensively oriented team does not make a ton of sense to me. An offensively minded team with as much speed as possible would seem to be the identity our home ice would encourage, and in fact our best players and teams have often been in that mold.

For those defending the coach, I think all (or most) of us wish him success, I think we are just skeptical given his now very long and variable track record that he's the guy to lead us forward. Given he's signed, I sure hope he is, but I have very, very significant doubts. For me, it is really the lack of consistency and lack of any real program identity that throws me off from being supportive of the extension.

This is supposed to be our "main" sport. Given that, I just feel like we should be all in on it and not accepting anything but sustained success.

Comment

Hearing we'll be heading out to Denver next year
                https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                  Hearing we'll be heading out to Denver next year
                  Interesting. Didn't we do that about 5 or 6 years ago? Denver never reciprocated by coming to the Gut.

Comment

Interesting. Didn't we do that about 5 or 6 years ago? Denver never reciprocated by coming to the Gut.

Comment

I agree to an extent, although I feel we used to have an identity under Sneddon, which was to play good, hard-nosed defensive hockey and beat teams 2-1 or 3-2. At some point a decision was made to open up the offense, which as I understand it, was part of an effort to recruit more offensively-gifted players to UVM. The increase in offense has really never materialized, and meantime the defense has gone to he!!. I'm not saying we should go back to playing a trap, but we had an identity and it worked better than what we're doing now.
                      Bingo!
                      Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                        I have been here all along. But like most of us who have posted here for years I didn't like how negative toward the team (coaches are part of team) the Vermont threads had become. So I while I would read the posts I didn't feel like making any posts. Its true that I consider some of those here that have been under attack as friends and got tired of getting crap for standing up for them as anyone else would. Some people here seem to have an ax to grind or vendetta if you will with the school/coach and never fail to push that agenda even when things are going good with the team.

You want to know where I have been? In my seat every game supporting the team just as I have for over 35 years. I was at every game the year we only won 3 games and even went to several road games that year.

These threads used to be about talking about the team, flaming with the other teams and giving heat to bad officials. Now it has turned into a place where the negativity is directed more at the team its supposed to be supporting. I still talk UVM hockey as much as ever I just choose to do it at games or work and other places with those who don't seem to be more happy when bad things happen to the team. My section has had our share of these people over the years and we always celebrate when they stop showing up. So for those who say they are going to not show up to prove a point....you probably will make others around you very happy.
                        In fairness, it's hard to start a flamefest when your team sucks. Also in the interest of accuracy I used to catch a lot of crap for starting those flamefests... I guess it goes to show how far the program has fallen that some are now longing for one.

Perhaps next year...
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Looks like Quinnipiac at home is happening

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

was just informed of the news as someone has shared a tweet with me that I now see has become very popular but Ryan St. Louis, Martin's son has committed to NORTHEASTERN. Sneddon will never be able to live this one down and to me good he should not be able to! But you know what Marty has never ever liked Sneddon since day 1 so this is what happens - here is a kid that should have been a Catamount spent all his summers in VT since he was born and not because who his dad is but he is a legit talent like his dad!! To go to a rival and Northeastern is a true punch to the gutt! Say what you want about kids making their own choice but we know this CHOICE was made long ago...Marty knows as long as Sneddon is around even with his name in the rafters his sons careers will be jeopardized by this staff and he's not the only one!!

I am sure people will defend Sneddon on this one but all this shows is that even if Marty wanted his son to be his own man that he doesn't believe in the program! Speaks VOLUMES!!

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
                              was just informed of the news as someone has shared a tweet with me that I now see has become very popular but Ryan St. Louis, Martin's son has committed to NORTHEASTERN. Sneddon will never be able to live this one down and to me good he should not be able to! But you know what Marty has never ever liked Sneddon since day 1 so this is what happens - here is a kid that should have been a Catamount spent all his summers in VT since he was born and not because who his dad is but he is a legit talent like his dad!! To go to a rival and Northeastern is a true punch to the gutt! Say what you want about kids making their own choice but we know this CHOICE was made long ago...Marty knows as long as Sneddon is around even with his name in the rafters his sons careers will be jeopardized by this staff and he's not the only one!!

I am sure people will defend Sneddon on this one but all this shows is that even if Marty wanted his son to be his own man that he doesn't believe in the program! Speaks VOLUMES!!
                              I think this could be a do or die year for Sneddon, the extension runs through 19-20 and Schulman's said that he doesn't want coaches going into their last season without knowing their fate.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                                I think this could be a do or die year for Sneddon, the extension runs through 19-20 and Schulman's said that he doesn't want coaches going into their last season without knowing their fate.
                                I will believe it when I see it!! Country club love is strong and he tried to sweep under rug that he gave him another extension ...playoffs going back to 8 teams means UVM has to finish 8 or better or Sneddon and Shculman have run out of excuses completely!! Sad how the goal is to be making the final playoff spot what happened to real standards! all gone! no integrity with the program!!

Comment

Working...
                                X