Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Selection Show

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    . . .So it looks like the answer is no. Interestingly, Cornell in 2010, and I guess Mercyhurst in 2014 although it didn't count for autobid status, are the ONLY road teams to win their quarterfinal game after having won their conference tournament. Everyone else lost in their conference tournament.
    Thanks for not being as lazy as I am. It really shouldn't be surprising I guess but it could be that a team got hot late & just didn't play enough highly ranked opponents to break into the top 8. It might happen some year. I still like the idea of 12 teams but that would add a week and cost money both of which would not get past the NCAA currently. I don't particularly like the auto-bid deal but I can see where it could be good for the sport as a whole if every conference is at least represented. The downside is that some more deserving teams get bumped if the auto-bid team is not a challenge.
    Last edited by ne7minder; 03-06-2018, 10:06 AM. Reason: messed up the quoted part

Comment

Interestingly, Cornell in 2010, and I guess Mercyhurst in 2014 although it didn't count for autobid status, are the ONLY road teams to win their quarterfinal game after having won their conference tournament. Everyone else lost in their conference tournament.
      You can add Mercyhurst to the list that lost in their conference tourney, but then go on to win a quarter final on the road. RIT won the CHA tourney in 2014 vs Mercyhurst. Luckily for Mercyhurst this was pre auto bid, and they still got to play #2 Cornell, in NCAAs.

So Cornell in 2010 is the only team to win their tourney and then win a road quarterfinal. Hopefully that changes this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        So Cornell in 2010 is the only team to win their tourney and then win a road quarterfinal. Hopefully that changes this weekend.
        Well, we have three chances ...
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Well, we have three chances ...
          As long as the 4th option has no surprises.......
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            The downside is that some more deserving teams get bumped if the auto-bid team is not a challenge.
            If I am completely objective, I am sympathetic to this. The CHA hasn’t gotten great results since getting the auto bid:

2015: 6-2 Minnesota over RIT
            2016: 6-0 Wisc over Mercyhurst
            2017: 7-0 Wisc over RMU

I am hopeful it will change, of course!

You’d have to look and see if there are other lopsided games in the other quarterfinals, I don’t know. My gut feel is that we’ll get decent quarter finals this year. Would not be surprised at all if a road team wins.
            Last edited by Lindsay; 03-06-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

As long as the 4th option has no surprises.......
              Should we start calling OSU, "The UConn of the West"?

Comment

No we shouldn't do that, BAD ARM.

Comment

Hell no! That is a complete insult to OSU. UConn finished in 7th place in a much weaker conference and then got lucky to play well in one weekend that counted to knock off the 2nd place team. Plus they are coached by a guy that nobody respects. Totally opposite to Muzzy and her team.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    Hell no! That is a complete insult to OSU. UConn finished in 7th place in a much weaker conference and then got lucky to play well in one weekend that counted to knock off the 2nd place team.
                    I'm kind of shocked Shelfit ripped a division 1 coach. So out of character.

But I'm really worried about the OSU coaching staff. I figured OSU would win last week-end against MN in the most important game of the year. I mean, even 9th place Merrimack and 8th place Vermont, from a much weaker conference, could beat the Gophers in Ridder.

OSU will definitely lose all respect if they can't beat BC. Crappy #7 UConn, from a much weaker conference, is 1-1-3 against BC last five. So on paper this should be a cake walk for OSU, from a much stronger conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post

But I'm really worried about the OSU coaching staff. I figured OSU would win last week-end against MN in the most important game of the year. I mean, even 9th place Merrimack and 8th place Vermont, from a much weaker conference, could beat the Gophers in Ridder.

OSU will definitely lose all respect if they can't beat BC. Crappy #7 UConn, from a much weaker conference, is 1-1-3 against BC last five. So on paper this should be a cake walk for OSU, from a much stronger conference.
                      Lol, correct!

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        Hell no! That is a complete insult to OSU. UConn finished in 7th place in a much weaker conference and then got lucky to play well in one weekend that counted to knock off the 2nd place team. Plus they are coached by a guy that nobody respects. Totally opposite to Muzzy and her team.
                        Not that I'm making excuses, because we should not have lost to UConn, but in calendar year 2018 UConn was 7th nationally in KRACH. Pretty crazy midseason turnaround for them.

Comment

• Re: NCAA Selection Show

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                          I mean, even 9th place Merrimack and 8th place Vermont, from a much weaker conference, could beat the Gophers in Ridder.
                          But we did beat the Korean national team. So there was that. Although I guess that was before they got reinforced with North Koreans.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post

The truth is I'm bored/sick and tired of the Gophers and Badgers in particular and the Eagles to a lesser extent always being the top teams every year. I'm not sick of Clarkson yet for whatever reason and I feel neutral about Mercyhurst. I'd love to see some new faces do well in the NCAA tournament, so go Colgate, OSU and Northeastern! Luv the underdogs.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              The truth is I'm bored/sick and tired of the Gophers and Badgers in particular and the Eagles to a lesser extent always being the top teams every year. I'm not sick of Clarkson yet for whatever reason and I feel neutral about Mercyhurst. I'd love to see some new faces do well in the NCAA tournament, so go Colgate, OSU and Northeastern! Luv the underdogs.
                              Couldn't agree more with shelfit! Need some new blood in the mix. Any chance any of the quarterfinal games will be streamed? I know each host team is selling tickets and would imagine only LaBahn will be sold out. But a shame if we can't get to see some of these great match-ups. Go Underdogs!

Comment

Originally posted by WH Fan View Post
                                Any chance any of the quarterfinal games will be streamed? I know each host team is selling tickets and would imagine only LaBahn will be sold out. But a shame if we can't get to see some of these great match-ups.
                                A tweet on the Wisconsin team account mentions sort-of in passing that they will 'have streaming info for the game soon'. But nothing yet. When I see it, I'll pass it along here.

Comment

Working...
                                X