Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Are you expecting he (Souza) names his assistant, or, lays out a brilliant plan for the future...or both?
    Not on assistant, but I hope a nod of recognition that he has a heavy task ahead and that he welcomes it. I just can't stand the denial or the look backwards. That'll make me tear out my hair. Any look forward and signs of being hungry will be welcome.

Greg's right that its talk, and doesn't get bodies in the door, but it's a necessary mindset.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Here's the live feed to watch the presser at 4!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/UNHAthletics/live
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I thought Mike did himself and UNH proud. Time to turn the page and give Mike a chance. I think he'll work hard to get UNH back on top.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Well, watched it. I sensed loyalty, passion and acknowledgement that work needs to be done. Really, what more can you ask for? I was touched by his recognition of Peter Doherty, Mark’s dad. I knew Peter a bit way back in the day. He was a force of nature. A wonderful guy.

Comment

Well I'd say nothing out of the ordinary, or what was expected happened during the presser. I took notes but I think the main thing is that he (Souza) is a UNH guy through and through and that was the biggest reason he was selected, not to mention his passion for the sport and his past playing accomplishments. Scarano said he fits right into the UNH coaching system of preparing student athletes etc. A few words were said about getting UNH Hockey back to being the premier program it was...we all want that to happen.

As expected he acknowledged his coach (Umile) as well as others who have helped/supported him. Said there's not too much 'new' that will happen in their playing style. Wants to fill the 'Whitt like when he played. Talked about preparing the student athlete for a great life after college. Wants to recruit players who have a drive to play professionally. Mentioned ever so briefly the last couple of down seasons but they were moving forward. "We should be playing hockey this weekend". Gave some kudos to Mike C at UConn as well, not being surprised at their success.

It's obvious he is a very humble guy but has a definite vision of the team and where they want to be. Unfortunately, the media portion wasn't shown (unless I missed it). Maybe they will ask him for more specifics about his plan. Thought overall he presented himself very well. The players start back working out next week so here we go.
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-14-2018, 03:47 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Well, watched it. I sensed loyalty, passion and acknowledgement that work needs to be done. Really, what more can you ask for? I was touched by his recognition of Peter Doherty, Mark’s dad. I knew Peter a bit way back in the day. He was a force of nature. A wonderful guy.
              Yes and I thought it was interesting that he acknowledged Coach Cavanaugh by saying he wanted to put Mike in a position to take over the UNH program when the time came.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                I thought Mike did himself and UNH proud. Time to turn the page and give Mike a chance. I think he'll work hard to get UNH back on top.
                Totally agree. Like Greg said, it was nice that he acknowledged the people in his life that gave him a push to do something positive with his hockey career....but who is Mark Clement? (sp) I don't think I've heard that name...Did notice he brought up Mark White as well.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Totally agree. Like Greg said, it was nice that he acknowledged the people in his life that gave him a push to do something positive with his hockey career....but who is Mark Clement? (sp) I don't think I've heard that name...Did notice he brought up Mark White as well.
                  I'm not sure who Clement is either.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    I'm not sure who Clement is either.
                    er, it's Chris Clement...had that wrong.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

"We've had a couple down years, but we start on a new path with our first workout next week. And we start on getting this program back to its respected and winning ways." - Mike Souza

Go get it Coach Souza!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        You know in many of the games I saw towards the end, he was doing more of that. Having a puck moving DMan is what UNH has desperately needed; as bad as this season turned out to be I can only imagine if Gildon wasn't here in the first place? The bulk of the goals and assists came from him in that Frosh class, am I right? (you know I won't look it up) I look forward to see what he brings to the game next year. We'll need him to continue to step up...
                        Gildon was 8+15=23
                        Maass was 4+13=17
                        Both played in all 36 games.

When was the last season that two frosh UNH D-men scored double-digit points? And, who were the two (only two, not three, not four).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                          I do not know if it is a first, but I do know it is not good for recruiting.
                          Not a first. Hockey East’s inaugural season was 1985. UNH freshman forward, Steve Leach, made the All Rookie team. 1986 and 1987 nada
                          1988 Chris Winnes was an All Rookie. 1989 and 1990 nada again. Bet you can’t guess the name of UNH’s first first team All Hockey East. Answer below.

Eric Flinton, 1995

Comment

Watched the press conference. Don't know if Souza can coach but he comes across as an impressive guy. Hope he does well, Hockey East is better when UNH is good.

Confused by one thing. Did Scarano say Mike's wife played at BC? Because I thought Souza got up there and talked about how he met his wife at UNH.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Watched the press conference. Don't know if Souza can coach but he comes across as an impressive guy. Hope he does well, Hockey East is better when UNH is good.

Confused by one thing. Did Scarano say Mike's wife played at BC? Because I thought Souza got up there and talked about how he met his wife at UNH.
                              She played two years at UNH and transferred to BC for two more...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                She played two years at UNH and transferred to BC for two more...
                                Interesting that it sounds like she met Mike there and are now married but decided to transfer to BC

Comment

Working...
                                X