Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

As you stated at the end, Felgie ... it would probably be a step up for a HC at a lower level program. That's what I was thinking when Ref mentioned that scenario. Otherwise, for the reasons you've outlined, it seems unlikely.

Now if Luce were to somehow show up in Durham THAT would test my allegiance to UNH like nothing else ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Actually the Borek situation was the first thing that came to my mind. And I don't think most UNH fans want to go down a similar road again.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Nobody knows how Souza will do as the Head Coach. We can not judge him off of his years as an assistant coach. He was not the final decision maker. I believe most of the people on this thread have coached some sport in the past. There have been head coaches I assisted that I agreed with them 90% or more of the time and a couple I only believed in about 20% or less with what they were doing. Needless to say, I did not assist the head coaches I did not agree with a second season.

We need to support Souza as the UNH program moves forward!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
          Nobody knows how Souza will do as the Head Coach. We can not judge him off of his years as an assistant coach. He was not the final decision maker. I believe most of the people on this thread have coached some sport in the past. There have been head coaches I assisted that I agreed with them 90% or more of the time and a couple I only believed in about 20% or less with what they were doing. Needless to say, I did not assist the head coaches I did not agree with a second season.

I was not impressed with Souza's management of the PP the past couple of seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I was not impressed with Souza's management of the PP the past couple of seasons.
            Or his recruiting results. Do people think he will announce who the next assistant is at his Wednesday presser?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post

Fair points, but let me expand on it just a little bit, Ray. When you disagreed with the HC as much as you did ... I'm assuming there was no extensive hiring process involved, or else you probably wouldn't have agreed to assist the HC in the first place - correct?

In Souza's case, he would clearly have already known who his HC was going to be, having played four years for him almost 20 years ago, and probably had a really solid idea of what to expect. He also would have had the opportunity to have extended discussions with the HC about what his role would be during the transition, and how it might evolve over the 3 year waiting period. He'd just gotten a promotion to Associate HC from Luce at UConn, so he was already seen as upwardly mobile in that program. So it's not like he was without options.

And with the extended time period in the recruiting pipeline these days, one thing for sure I would think (hope?) Souza was given free rein on would have been with recruiting. I totally agree with you, on the game day stuff, tactics, personnel, etc. I have no question at all he'd have to suppress his own opinions to a degree, or at least understand that when there is a difference of opinion on those things, the HC is going to do things his way. Fair enough. But unless you think the current HC somehow retained veto power over the players Souza (and Stewart) have been recruiting that did not project to matriculate at UNH before the transition was completed, then I think we have to assume Souza has ultimately been responsible for most of the players coming to UNH this past season or so, and into the future. And I think that a lot of us have been underwhelmed at what we've seen, or more precisely haven't seen on that front to date.

I want Souza to be successful, no doubt about it. Liked him as a player; he was a big part in some of the biggest moments in the program's history. But I'm trying to be objective here, and if I'm being honest, I'd hoped to see his fingerprints on a better recruiting outlook than what we've seen to date. We'll see soon enough once October rolls around where else his approach is different than that of his predecessor, and I agree, that's where the rubber will meet the road on whether Souza will be successful at UNH ... or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                Or his recruiting results. Do people think he will announce who the next assistant is at his Wednesday presser?
                I hope so, but suspect not. What has UNH done in the past when announcing new assistants?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  I hope so, but suspect not. What has UNH done in the past when announcing new assistants?
                  Press release, certainly no introductory press conference for a lowly assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    Press release, certainly no introductory press conference for a lowly assistant.
                    Hey ... maybe an opportunity for Coach Souza take a subtle step away from the practices of his predecessor?

Comment

I am still thinking former UNH D-Man Mark White. But, where has he been since leaving his AC position at Brown? And, how has Brown done on D or in general with White's recruits?

Comment

[QUOTE=Snively65;6623567]I am still thinking former UNH D-Man Mark White. But, where has he been since leaving his AC position at Brown? And, how has Brown done on D or in general with White's recruits?[/QUOTE

Not sure why, but I think you are possibly correct on this one. He was a MS teammate so there is that familiarity. Have to wonder about the recruiting piece. 2 years as an AC at Bentley, 6 years at Brown. Think he is scouting now but can't say that definitively.

Comment

[QUOTE=After the Whistle;6623628]
                          I am still thinking former UNH D-Man Mark White. But, where has he been since leaving his AC position at Brown? And, how has Brown done on D or in general with White's recruits?[/QUOTE

Not sure why, but I think you are possibly correct on this one. He was a MS teammate so there is that familiarity. Have to wonder about the recruiting piece. 2 years as an AC at Bentley, 6 years at Brown. Think he is scouting now but can't say that definitively.
                          My understanding is that they were roommates at UNH, overlapped as AC's at Brown, and remain good friends.

Comment

Hey even if you aren't a Bruins fan they are playing the 'Canes so you can catch TvR and Brett Pesce! Go B's!!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I am still thinking former UNH D-Man Mark White. But, where has he been since leaving his AC position at Brown? And, how has Brown done on D or in general with White's recruits?
                              I was talking with him at a Union game. Scout for Winnipeg.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                                I was talking with him at a Union game. Scout for Winnipeg.
                                Thanks for that insight, which I view as a plus.

Comment

Working...
                                X