Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    ..All that said (OPTIMISM ALERT), there's no doubt in my mind UNH has a better finish next year. They should certainly finish, at worst, (PESSIMISM ALERT) in tenth ahead of Merrimack...

MC loses its top three scorers and two of its top-three defensemen, including the most underrated player in HE in Brett Seney. They should be very shaky next year.
    They just replaced Dennehy, and will conduct a national search for a new coach.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      That was a great occasion, for sure. Maybe Steve Saviano's best game in a UNH jersey, and he couldn't have picked a better time for it. Winning the HE Tourney for the first against their main (Maine?) rival in front of a full house in Boston was nice, too. We were up in the upper level, a section or two away from the UMaine band. Still have a clear visual of UMaine d-man/captain Peter Metcalf just losing it at the end, realizing they'd actually lost. Of course, who knew that 3 weeks later, UMaine would get their revenge in St. Paul.

But still ... what a great night to be a UNH fan. Picking between the '79 ECAC tourney title win over Dartmouth at the old Garden (magic), the '02 HE Tourney win, and the '03 double OT win over BU to successfully defend their HE tourney title, is like trying to pick your favorite kid - you can't, they're all special, and for different reasons. I'm just thankful that I've been lucky enough to witness them all in person.
      Agree on all especially Saviano. He had a great game. Wish I had seen that Dartmouth game in person or even on TV.
      Last edited by e.cat; 03-11-2018, 11:15 AM.
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Wow....
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Where's the love for Merrimack, e.cat?
          Nothing against the Mc but I don't consider them much of a threat despite recent results!

Wasn't it Daniel Winnik who said something like, "where did you think I was going to play, Merrimack?"

Comment

Serious? Maybe DU will come out of retirement

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Serious? Maybe DU will come out of retirement
              Too soon.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

Stewie? Discuss....
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I could see Scott Borek for this spot.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

I could see Scott Borek for this spot.
                    I don’t. I think the fire isn’t there. Around the rink I’ve heard people remark he’s not what they expected. Seems very background compared to when Barr was recruiter. He’s not been same since son died. Maybe to your point though is he still resides in NH but can’t see him beating out a young aggressive Hockey East assistant.
                    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

A national search you say? Daring move - lets see how it works for them...

I think we would all agree that the safe move would have been to bring Joe Exter in to learn from Dennehey for the next tree years...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

?? Does he mean as an assistant, or in the future.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

?? Does he mean as an assistant, or in the future.
                          Hmmm well I'll tip my hand and say I heard that there were HC's out there interested in the UNH assistant job...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

No thanks. Not a proven high-level recruiter and to hell with that style of play...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              No thanks. Not a proven high-level recruiter and to hell with that style of play...
                              Classify this as "darned by faint praise" if you like, but he was the most successful coach in that school's history. Surely he would adapt to coaching a different style, switching from a sub-HS rink to an Olympic sheet ... ???

Anyway, with Dartmouth presumably out now due to their ECAC QF loss , no reason not to disclose Lassonde if he's the one coming back as has been discussed as a possibility a few weeks ago, or now even Dennehy.

Neither would be an inspiring choice, but I suspect either would be better than what we'll probably end up with.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                I heard that there were HC's out there interested in the UNH assistant job...
                                Not saying this isn't true and not saying it won't happen. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If you are already a head coach why would you want to take an assistant or associate coach position at UNH? Seems like not much opportunity careerwise. If Souza is successful you're not moving up. I suppose that scenario is ok if you want to settle in and be an assistant someplace for the long haul. But if you have already been a head coach somewhere "settling" seems unlikely. And lets face it: UNH ain't exactly Notre Dame, Mike Souza isn't Jeff Jackson and Paul Pooley ain't walking through that door.

On the other hand if Souza (and by extension you) fails then a new broom likely sweeps clean and you are gone.

Again, I am not saying this can't or won't happen. Just doesn't seem logical to me. But the world is unpredictable at times.

P.S. My line of thinking probably wouldn't/doesn't apply to head coaches at lower levels of hockey than Division One.
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X