Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    I think that it is delusional to think that there will be any kind of term limit for the new HC, regardless how the team performs over the next few years. Unless the new HC loses it and tries to strangle one of his players on the bench, or becomes terminally ill, he probably has a lifetime appointment, like all of his predecessors. Likely the only way that BS35+5 was able to get the HC to step down was to allow him to appoint his own successor. How many Div 1 hockey programs work this way?

HR, I am assuming that you mean LOSS OF income from diminishing attendance. I do not think that this loss concerns the UNH admin when it comes to coaching appointments, because as they look around at other schools, they see the same drop off in attendance, even at schools with much more successful programs. The full house attendance ship sailed a few years ago across college hockey.

I actually think that this HC is an easy one to succeed, as just about anything will be an improvement over the past three years. I am still convinced that next year will be better than this past one, as long as the new HC goes back to a conventional 5-3 PP. :-)
    Well yeah, that's what I'm talking about. True, attendance is down everywhere but gee how much lower can it get at the 'Whitt? I do know of a few people who plan on returning this coming season, but that's a drop in the bucket most likely. We never know what the STH numbers are anyway. That being said, winning teams do fill some seats, and I realize even with a winning team it's doubtful you sell out with other options available to watch the game.

Honestly, I don't know how that 3 year plan was developed and if DU was told he could pick his successor IF he'd step down in 3 years. I do/did not support it as I felt it left ambiguity in the locker room potentially. Whatever I'm glad its finally over. And we are obviously in the minority because I'm expecting next year to be better than this one. Of course, when a few said DU wouldn't reach 600 I thought they were 'crazy'...sigh.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-08-2018, 10:34 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Well yeah, that's what I'm talking about. True, attendance is down everywhere but gee how much lower can it get at the 'Whitt? I do know of a few people who plan on returning this coming season, but that's a drop in the bucket most likely. We never know what the STH numbers are anyway. That being said, winning teams do fill some seats, and I realize even with a winning team it's doubtful you sell out with other options available to watch the game.

Honestly, I don't know how that 3 year plan was developed and if DU was told he could pick his successor IF he'd step down in 3 years. I do/did not support it as I felt it left ambiguity in the locker room potentially. Whatever I'm glad its finally over. And we are obviously in the minority because I'm expecting next year to be better than this one. Of course, when a few said DU wouldn't reach 600 I thought they were 'crazy'...sigh.
      I can for me personally, attending those Friday home games is tough. 7PM puck drop- it's hard for anyone who works in Massachusetts or out west of the 93 corridor. And it obviously doesn't help when the team is bad. I think everyone has a limited amount of $$ to spend on taking in athletic events and a 10 win team just doesn't wet the whistle of the casual UNH hockey fan.

Comment

Well yeah, that's what I'm talking about. True, attendance is down everywhere but gee how much lower can it get at the 'Whitt?
        I know this won't make you feel any better, but TRUST me...it's WAY down everywhere (and I don't want someone coming on and pointing to the attendance "stats" because that doesn't tell you how many fannies are in the seats). If you have watched any games on TV (Northeastern comes to mind and they are winning and BU's attendance is terrible). Whoever said the "attendance ship has sailed" is unfortunately, right on. And it's exacerbated in "cavernous" buildings. I know you guys don't go to the Beanpot and you haven't been to the Garden for Hockey East in awhile, but last year the Hockey East semi-finals (two games mind you) were EMPTY. It was not only embarrassing but created a miserable atmosphere.

One thing I'll never understand (and I know this is a little off topic, but I'm taking a break from clearing 16 inches of snow from my 350 foot driveway) is why the powers that be don't lower prices. I assume they have all passed math (maybe a dangerous assumption), but 4000 fans at $20/head is MORE than 1200 fans at $40/head. Not to mention (in this example) you are getting 3 1/3 times as many people in there to buy concessions (and parking). It's a no-brainer (but maybe they have no brains).

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
          I can for me personally, attending those Friday home games is tough. 7PM puck drop- it's hard for anyone who works in Massachusetts or out west of the 93 corridor. And it obviously doesn't help when the team is bad. I think everyone has a limited amount of $$ to spend on taking in athletic events and a 10 win team just doesn't wet the whistle of the casual UNH hockey fan.
          BU moved their Friday games to 7:30 for precisely that reason. Just saying...

Comment

Athletics and related income is important, but not at the top of the UNH value list. UNH emphasizes the student athlete, the whole person. Reread the Kevin Dean article.

Couch Souza will make less annually than Coach Umile. He will not have a "life time contract", but UNH is loyal to coaches who conduct themselves and run their teams in a way that fits with the values of the University as a whole not just the values of the athletic department, win/loss or revenue results.

I have zero inside knowledge, have never met Coach Souza, spoken briefly with Coach Umile only a handful of times, but my gut feel is that this has been Coach Umile's team for the past three seasons. Was Coach Souza involved more that the typical assistant coach? Probably, but it has been Coach Umile's team. Give Coach Souza a chance.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              BU moved their Friday games to 7:30 for precisely that reason. Just saying...
              UNH did too and then moved them back to 7:00. Some were unhappy getting home a half hour later after the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Athletics and related income is important, but not at the top of the UNH value list. UNH emphasizes the student athlete, the whole person. Reread the Kevin Dean article.

Couch Souza will make less annually than Coach Umile. He will not have a "life time contract", but UNH is loyal to coaches who conduct themselves and run their teams in a way that fits with the values of the University as a whole not just the values of the athletic department, win/loss or revenue results.

I have zero inside knowledge, have never met Coach Souza, spoken briefly with Coach Umile only a handful of times, but my gut feel is that this has been Coach Umile's team for the past three seasons. Was Coach Souza involved more that the typical assistant coach? Probably, but it has been Coach Umile's team. Give Coach Souza a chance.
                Thanks for this perspective Darius! I agree; Souza deserves a chance. We have no idea how much influence he actually had, of course, the recruiting is one way to see something on an objective level. The rest? yeah, he ran the PP...You are right about the UNH perspective on the athlete. Anyway...October is a long way off and I'm wishing we were still playing.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Thanks for this perspective Darius! I agree; Souza deserves a chance. We have no idea how much influence he actually had, of course, the recruiting is one way to see something on an objective level. The rest? yeah, he ran the PP...You are right about the UNH perspective on the athlete. Anyway...October is a long way off and I'm wishing we were still playing.
                  All last weekend I felt like something was missing.

Comment

A close friend and ex-teammate Alumni has been on me for a year or so that we have to get UNH back on top......his argument begins with” how can any recruit pick Lowell or Providence over UNH’s campus and location”.....while I understand his sentiments, unless Souza can bring in 4 or 5 top guns, it will be a few years, if at all for us to climb back up.....my question back to him his why do I feel that no one in Admin. is as passionate about UNH hockey (both programs) as the fans? As has been noted here, let’s see who is chosen as assistant and go from there.....I do hope Stewy stays with the program! He’s a quality guy who loves UNH and deserves a shot in the new regime......
                    On chickod’s attendance thoughts, I agree with all he said......I couldn’t believe how empty last year’s HE semis and final were! If the rest of the league’s attendance has dropped off as drastically as UNH, is this also true for the other leagues? Are there to many options available via online and tv? I know on the women’s side, with the games being shown on either espn3 or YouTube, it has affected my rush to the Whitt.......not sure how schools get the paying fan back into the building without having a winning program......

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                      A close friend and ex-teammate Alumni has been on me for a year or so that we have to get UNH back on top......his argument begins with” how can any recruit pick Lowell or Providence over UNH’s campus and location”.....while I understand his sentiments, unless Souza can bring in 4 or 5 top guns, it will be a few years, if at all for us to climb back up.....my question back to him his why do I feel that no one in Admin. is as passionate about UNH hockey (both programs) as the fans? As has been noted here, let’s see who is chosen as assistant and go from there.....I do hope Stewy stays with the program! He’s a quality guy who loves UNH and deserves a shot in the new regime......
                      On chickod’s attendance thoughts, I agree with all he said......I couldn’t believe how empty last year’s HE semis and final were! If the rest of the league’s attendance has dropped off as drastically as UNH, is this also true for the other leagues? Are there to many options available via online and tv? I know on the women’s side, with the games being shown on either espn3 or YouTube, it has affected my rush to the Whitt.......not sure how schools get the paying fan back into the building without having a winning program......
                      The league needs Unh and Maine great. We will get there. But who wants to see providence vs NU. Souza will turn it around I am sure. Imagine a day when we are great again and Guite and Souza battle in a coaching regard?

Comment

Elle Purrier wins NCAA mile championship! Woohoo!!!!!! Hardware!!!
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                          What an amazing win! Congrats to her. Take notice UNH coaches. It is possible to land elite athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                            What an amazing career she's had at UNH!
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

So, Elle joins the women's 1995 lacrosse and the women's 1998 ice hockey teams. Any others, individuals or teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                So, Elle joins the women's 1985 lacrosse and the women's 1998 ice hockey teams. Any others, individuals or teams?
                                Fixed your post!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X