Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    Yup. Not their finest moment!
    Another example for total lack of in-game adjustments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I think it's an example of not getting the guys up for a lesser opponent.
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Hoping for a Bruins Stanley Cup run!!! Go B's!!
        Wow....Marchand! Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
          Wow....Marchand! Unbelievable!
          #MrOT !!!!!!!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/s...te-hockey.html

An article highlighting the importance of having great and proven assitants and recruiters.

Steve Miller - 2 championships at Denver
            1 championship at Providence
            now final four at Ohio State

Keith Fisher and Matt Lindsay, rebuilt Princeton as assistants to Gadowsky, then built Penn State with Gadowsky

at some point, proven ability to rebuild is critical.

Steve Rohlik, rebuilt Duluth into NCAA champ before getting Ohio State job
            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-26-2018, 09:25 AM.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/s...te-hockey.html

An article highlighting the importance of having great and proven assitants and recruiters.

Steve Miller - 2 championships at Denver
              1 championship at Providence
              now final four at Ohio State

Keith Fisher and Matt Lindsay, rebuilt Princeton as assistants to Gadowsky, then built Penn State with Gadowsky

at some point, proven ability to rebuild is critical.

Steve Rohlik, rebuilt Duluth into NCAA champ before getting Ohio State job
              So what you're saying is ... in 2015, having just finished helping to win the D-1 title in Providence with Nate Leaman, Miller was ready to move on to his next challenge. At the same time, BS35+3 was starting to hatch his innovative "three year plan" to bring in a top-notch assistant coach from another HE program to edge his legendary 25 yr. head coach (and his lifetime contract) closer to the exit. And with his ear to the ground, picking up on all available options, somehow UNH ended up with Souza, and Air Force got Miller?!?

Hey, at least MS passes the paisan FBI test, so we've got that going for us, I suppose ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                So what you're saying is ... in 2015, having just finished helping to win the D-1 title in Providence with Nate Leaman, Miller was ready to move on to his next challenge. At the same time, BS35+3 was starting to hatch his innovative "three year plan" to bring in a top-notch assistant coach from another HE program to edge his legendary 25 yr. head coach (and his lifetime contract) closer to the exit. And with his ear to the ground, picking up on all available options, somehow UNH ended up with Souza, and Air Force got Miller?!?

Hey, at least MS passes the paisan FBI test, so we've got that going for us, I suppose ...
                Thanks for making me laugh after that crushing defeat last night...I needed that!

Comment

Not talking about the past. Seriously. The plane cabin has been closed, and we have a pilot, so now I'm just curious about how to get the plane to a landing.

One undeniable point demonstrated by the NCAAs (beyond the fluke teams) how critical an assistant is. I actually think Gadowsky/Fisher/Lindsay are pretty good evidence of getting Princeton rebuilt, then moving to Penn State.

I was looking through the Penn State roster, and there are a decent number of kids who Penn State got (Biro, Limoges, Barrett) who were right in UNH's former prestige level (just below the North Dakota/BU/BC range).

I'm not trying to do the survivor bias analysis backwards, of looking at the teams this year and backing into what they do. That's sort of like looking at the lottery winner and then ignoring those that failed. (Or trying to model after one hit wonders like Yale).
                  Made me realize how those second tier (Ohio State/Penn State) sort of programs built up really at the expense of UNH, which used to be in the mix for the second tier. Certainly made me melancholy for the time UNH won recruiting battles, and how those who won them are now showing the results of that.

Now the counter to that is that Penn State has top guys (Sturz and Succese) who were identified rather than recruited. Similarly, Ohio State, because of the shakeup after Osiecki, has upper classmen who were identified more than recruited. But the next step in evolution is to win recruiting battles. Prokup and Ahac -- I think UNH was after Prokup and maybe Ahac -- shows that Ohio State has moved past UNH in the food chain.

So the next UNH assistant will have to be able to play in the "identify" talent skills that they currently are using. But there are assistants who can sell/recruit, and Miller is an example of a guy infectious enough and with a track record he can port with him. It sounds like UNH will not be getting a salesman, so the assistant better be very good at identifying the under the radar kids.

Basically just looking for some news so that we know the path forward -- coaches and any late recruits.
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-26-2018, 10:07 AM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    I know, I focus too much on that "big" loss to RIT after the "big win" over Cornell in 2010. Sigh.
                    Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                    That game still gives me nightmares. That is one of those games that just snowballed
                    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    I think it's an example of not getting the guys up for a lesser opponent.
                    I think you're all correct. In retrospect it's easy to see the RIT loss as the point where a lot of the accumulated faith in Coach Umile began to leak away. With the teams in the latter part of that decade, and the 2010 team, that really should have been the 3rd "peak" of the Umile era, with one or two more FF appearances, and *maybe* that elusive D-1 title. But the 2010 loss especially registered, since there was every reason to believe (1) UNH would/should beat RIT, and (2) Coach would have learned from the prior postseason disasters - and one very similar one against unheralded Niagara earlier in that decade - and there would be no further "Umile-ations". *cough* 6-2 *cough* And then reality set in, and here we were again, with another inexplicable postseason gack job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU_4NehrBdI

And then there was the post-game presser, when Coach moans about some bad breaks and bounces, and 3 goals in 2 minutes to break open a close game in the second period ... and his guys (Butler and LeBlanc) echo the same things, seemingly unaware of any differences between the tactics put out there by Cornell in the previous game, and RIT in the Regional Finals.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of us (myself included) had bought into the idea that Coach had learned his lessons and would eventually figure it out. Peak One ('98 & '99) got them to the FF's twice, and the close call OT with UMaine. Peak Two ('02 & '03) again got them to the FF's twice, with another close call (Vanek's 3rd period in '03 @ Buffalo) but the first two (and still only) HE Tourney titles in program history. I was much less actively following the UNH program during the Peak Three era due to other commitments I'd taken on (happily), but I do remember the RIT loss as a watershed moment where I started really believing that *maybe* Coach really hadn't figured it out after all, and that the '02 & '03 tourney wins were all about Saviano, Collins and Ayers, et als.

Things were already sliding (almost imperceptibly) by 2010, and that began to accelerate (decelerate?) over the next 5 years, which has then been followed by the cratering of the program over these last three seasons. But the last vestiges of unvarnished optimism about Coach Umile's "ceiling" were vanquished in many fans' minds by that 2010 loss to RIT.

I asked the question a couple of days ago in this thread ... what if Coach Umile stepped down at around that point, at around the same age as Coach Lucia when he stepped down at Minnesota? Coach McCloskey at that point had ripped off several HE Women's titles in a row, and was still in the good graces (to say the least) and probably had it at least in the back of his mind that he'd be ready to switch back over to the Men's side if/when his former boss decided to retire. But Coach Umile decided to continue, and *maybe* a frustrated Coach McCloskey was never the same after that, as BOTH programs began the slide down the league's standings.

I can't help but think McCloskey would have jumped in with both feet had he been offered the reins of the Men's program at the time, and who knows how things would have turned out? I think this may be the most underplayed and under-discussed topic arising from the UNH Hockey programs over the last generation.

Thoughts as offseason grist for the discussion mill (p.s. apologies for breaking the thread rules again)??

Comment

Nah, UNH died in 2009, just as it was basking in the miracle win vs. North Dakota.

At that point, Borek committed early to 16 year old Eric Chevrier in the fall, and Kyle Smith in January, then got Justin Agosta in February, Nick Sorkin in March, and capped it off with Jamie Hill (and Jeff Wyer). In April, Ryan Bourque walked away, Cam Reid and Matt White didn't get into school.
                      Borek covered those losses with Dalton Speelman, Scott Pavelski and Austin Block.

(edit, to drive in the point. The 2009 group of Smith, Sorkin and Hill were part of Borek's reach out to southern NJ/Maryland kids. The next year that yielded Max Gaudreault, Dylan Maller and Casey Thrush. In that system was a 16 year old kid, Jon Gaudreau. We know about the connections between Hill and Gaudreau, both from Southern Jersey and from the same program,but a young agressive head coach from Northeastern starting to rebuild his program managed to get for him.)

Tues. 2/16/10
                      Little Big Man

5'6", 135 lb. Team Comcast Under-18 forward John Gaudreau has committed to Northeastern for the fall of '12.

Gaudreau, an August '93 birthdate, has a 26-24-50 line in 42 Tier I Elite League games this season. He's a left shot playing the off wing, and can also play in the middle.

In addition to playing for Team Comcast, Gaudreau, a junior, plays for Gloucester Catholic, where he has an 18-24-42 line in 13 games.

A lot of the Ivies - Dartmouth, Princeton, Yale, and Brown -- were onto him. In Hockey East, UNH and UMass-Amherst were also in the picture. Gaudreau's father played at Norwich for UMass coach Toot Cahoon back in the early ‘80s.

Gaudreau may play for Team Comcast again next season, or he may move on to juniors. At any rate, he'll play at least one year of juniors before heading to Northeastern.

"He's a small kid but has unbelievable hands," says Jared Beach, his coach. "He's a dynamic player who can cut back to evade defenders better than anyone I've seen. His skating is awesome. He has the best edge control of anyone I've seen at the '93 level. And he can stickhandle in a phone booth. He needs to fill out but will be a huge impact guy at the Division I level."
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-26-2018, 10:34 AM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Miller returned to Colorado to be home and handle some family concerns that had arisen at the time. He wouldn't have been available to be a HC in waiting at that time...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

This is posted on the UNH employment site; anyone here interested?

ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH, MEN'S HOCKEY

PS0778FY18

UNH Athletics Men's Hockey [USMHCY]

Staff

03/23/2018

04/02/2018

The Associate Head Men’s Hockey Coach assists the Head Coach in all aspects of practice preparation, pre-game strategies and in-game management and is responsible for coordinating all aspects of recruiting to include evaluations, contacts, correspondence, networking and visits.
                          GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

PS0778FY18

Staff

03/23/2018

04/02/2018

The Associate Head Men’s Hockey Coach assists the Head Coach in all aspects of practice preparation, pre-game strategies and in-game management and is responsible for coordinating all aspects of recruiting to include evaluations, contacts, correspondence, networking and visits.
                            State position, assume they have to post it.
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                              State position, assume they have to post it.
                              They do (although I never did see the HC position posted), just found it interesting. Also, for all the armchair coaches in this forum, now is your chance!
                              GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

PS0778FY18

Staff

03/23/2018

04/02/2018

That bit seems responsive to some of the criticisms leveled at the last HC, good to know it's being addressed.

Comment

Working...
                                X