Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Thanks! Really sweating that one out! And now, in a "down" year, Hockey East still gets three teams in the NCAA Tournament.
    Yeah, every time I feel bad about UNH I thank god we're not going thru the nightmare you poor ******** are with David Quinn! The humanity of four NCAA Tournaments, a FF and two HE Championships in the past four seasons - and loads of elite talent to watch every night. You guys are sure tough little soldiers! I can't thank you enough for warning the UNH coaches about the dangers of recruiting elite 18 year old talent...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Fine...judging by the number of asterisks I think that word starts with 'b' and ends with 's'

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Fine...judging by the number of asterisks I think that word starts with 'b' and ends with 's'
        Yeah. But it's not mean spirited - even if it sounded that way. I like watching your team. Congrats.

I am just hopeful we can finally put to bed the idea - which has existed in UNH threads of the past - that recruiting talent that may leave early would actually be a problem...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Thanks. I would prefer continuity but I have come to accept the new "paradigm." The one (or two) and done players means that probably the only way they will get in each year is to win the conference tourney, because they take a huge pairwise hit every year given that it's basically a new team and it takes time for them to jell. With tonight's lineup (that excludes the games when Greenway was in South Korea and didn't play) they haven't lost since January 6. But they started the season 8-11-1. So it's a two-edged sword. Sometimes they DON'T come together and that's the way it goes. But this is the route they have gone. They sell the program by telling kids it's their best path to the NHL. It seems to work for them. It's hard to criticize, albeit it that it can be very frustrating when they look all discombobulated in October and November. And they had to win two heart-stoppers to qualify for the tourney.

But each school has to evaluate and decide how they want to go about building their roster. So from a UNH perspective, the results remain to be seen. I hope they choose the path which works best for them, because as I have said many times, I would love to see a resurgent UHN. It would be great for the league.

Comment

I think some years - like this past one - when there are so many unexpected early departures it makes things difficult. This offseason surprises seem unlikely and the result will be more balance plus another legit class. Next year you guys will be a monster.

And despite the bumps in the road - you have a chance this year. Though a straight PWR bracket as of now would put you in with Cornell, Denver and Minn/Duluth. What a bear that would be!

Still one game to go, plus whatever adjustments would need to be made to brackets...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I think some years - like this past one - when there are so many unexpected early departures it makes things difficult. This offseason surprises seem unlikely and the result will be more balance plus another legit class. Next year you guys will be a monster.

And despite the bumps in the road - you have a chance this year. Though a straight PWR bracket as of now would put you in with Cornell, Denver and Minn/Duluth. What a bear that would be!

Still one game to go, plus whatever adjustments would need to be made to brackets...
              Actually we have already played both Cornell and Denver this year (both 4-3 losses). But they were both early in the year. So that would lessen the intimidation factor a bit. Do I think we could beat them? Who knows? They both obviously have better records, but BU is one of the hottest teams in the country right now. Exactly the type of scenario you want entering a tournament situation. It also depends where we go. With our luck it will be South Dakota. Our NCAA record is not good when we go West, and considering three of the four regionals are in the East, that would be an unfortunate break.

Comment

So just to get us back on page one will UNH host a Regional next year?
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  So just to get us back on page one will UNH host a Regional next year?
                  yes- other regionals in Providence, allentown and Fargo

Comment

Hey, I see that Don Lucia is now available. Passes the paisan FBI test comfortably. Get it done, BS35+6!!!
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Nice try, but Lucia realized that at age 59 coaching is a young man's job, and he wasn't going to hang on to coaching just for his own vanity.
                      “The last 19 years have been better than I could have imagined,” the 59-year-old Lucia said while reading from a five-page opening statement, choking up when he started to talk about his family. “This is the right time for me to leave coaching and move on to the next phase of my life.”
                      “I’m turning 60 years old. It’s time. It’s somebody else’s turn. I was never one to say I’m going to coach until I was 65 or 70. I looked at probably around 60 was not a bad time,” Lucia said. “I’ve always felt that this is a great job and somebody else should have the opportunity to do it.”
                      He's also may or may not be part of the process in Minnesota for selecting his successor.

Coyle will turn his attention to finding a new coach. He doesn’t have a specific timetable and wouldn’t comment on whether the new coach must have Gophers roots.

Lucia said he’d be happy to assist Coyle in the search if asked.

“There should be a lot of good candidates,” he said. “Just like it was my time 20 years ago, it’s somebody else’s time now.”
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-23-2018, 09:52 AM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Nice try, but Lucia realized that at age 59 coaching is a young man's job, and he wasn't going to hang on to coaching just for his own vanity.

He's also may or may not be part of the process in Minnesota for selecting his successor.
                        What a difference from what we have seen at UNH the last decade. How much better would be Umile's legacy had he walked away 10 years ago?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          What a difference from what we have seen at UNH the last decade. How much better would be Umile's legacy had he walked away 10 years ago?
                          Yup! Lucia announced at the end of the season without any fanfare and DU basks in the limelight all year. I dont get it. The whole process seems very flawed to me and the play on the ice was affected IMHO!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Wow. Northeastern gotta be disappointed! I thot they would win Hockey East, head to the FF and go from there. They had the talent but.....

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              Wow. Northeastern gotta be disappointed! I thot they would win Hockey East, head to the FF and go from there. They had the talent but.....
                              They have an HC problem. All the talent in the world the last handful of years and just two trips to the NCAA Tournament - and an 0-2 record, to boot. Now Gaudette, Sikura, Stevens and perhaps Davies will all be gone and it's back to the drawing board in a big way for NU...

They should have done everything you said. They are vastly superior - in terms of skill - to this UM team and yet it never felt like they were going to win this game...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                They have an HC problem. All the talent in the world the last handful of years and just two trips to the NCAA Tournament - and an 0-2 record, to boot. Now Gaudette, Sikura, Stevens and perhaps Davies will all be gone and it's back to the drawing board in a big way for NU...

They should have done everything you said. They are vastly superior - in terms of skill - to this UM team and yet it never felt like they were going to win this game...
                                Agree. No HC big dance experience is a killer!

Comment

Working...
                                X