Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Given the delayed timing of the new assistant coach hire (in light of MW pulling a JMcD), what do you folks expect/think will now happen in terms of the timeframe for the search process Mach II?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      After two seasons in the AHL/ECHL, he just completed his 13th full season in Europe; good for him. From back in the time when UNH poached some of the best local kids. And, as the story goes, UNH offered him with the hope that his good friend and Reading High teammate Sean Collins would come to UNH the next year. Wow, I really miss those days.
      I missed....those days. Sigh.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Much of Saviano's value was his connection to Collins. By himself, he was a partial scholarship kid

UMILE LANDS ANOTHER TOP HOCKEY RECRUIT AUGUST 3, 1999 BY JIM MCKENZIE
        University of New Hampshire hockey coach Dick Umile has apparently landed another recruit from his old stomping grounds. Umile, who grew up in Melrose, Mass., and lived in nearby Burlington for several years, is developing a pipeline of hockey talent from his old neighborhood. The most recent addition to the UNH family is Steven Saviano, a senior-to-be at Reading (Mass.) High School, who announced recently that he had verbally committed to attend UNH, beginning in the 2000-2001 season.
        A blazing-fast forward who has led Reading High into Massachusetts’ Elite Eight high school hockey tournament the past three years, Saviano will remind UNH fans of sophomore forward Darren Haydar. At just 5-foot-7, 155 pounds, Saviano has used speed and skill to dominate in the Middlesex League, considered one of the top public school leagues in the nation. Longtime Reading High coach Peter Doherty has sent several players to major Division I colleges. He ranks Saviano with the best of them. "He’s a great — I mean GREAT — skater. He’s tough as anything. He’s strong. He’s dedicated," said Doherty, whose team finished 18-0-2 last regular season. "He’s like kids were 20 years ago: He loves going to the rink and playing." Haydar and Saviano will have a chance to play together for two years, though probably not on the same line, since both are centers. "Haydar’s a real true scorer," said Doherty. "Stephen’s more a play-maker than a scorer. He’s also a great penalty killer. They’ll love the way he plays the game. They’ll love him in New Hampshire." On the other hand, Saviano has proven he can score with the best in Reading High history. With a solid senior season, he’ll eclipse Sullivan’s all-time school scoring record. Saviano scored 19 goals with 37 assists in 1998-99, going over the 100-point mark as a junior.
        The contact period for colleges began July 1. According to Doherty, Saviano immediately fielded calls from Boston University, Northeastern and Merrimack. "I had to tell them I had already committed," Saviano told The Daily Times Chronicle of Reading, Mass. "It really was my top choice. I went up there about four times last year with Mr. Doherty and fell in love with he place." Saviano will be joining a team with a remarkable success rate over the past two seasons. the Wildcats lost in the national semifinals in 1998, and advanced to the national title game in 1999, falling to Maine in sudden death overtime.

================================================== ===============================
        THE COURTING OF SEAN COLLINS
        Saturday, March 23, 2002
        http://www.cmonitor.com/stories/fron...4%5F2002.shtml
        Sean Collins was ready to end the suspense. After a two-year recruiting battle that involved the heavyweights of Hockey East, the young hockey sensation had made his college decision.
        Would it be Boston University or the University of New Hampshire?
        He decided his high school coaches should be the first to know. Funny thing was, they didn't want to hear it.
        Peter and Mark Doherty, the father and son who coached Collins at Reading High in Massachusetts, have strong UNH connections, and they feared the worst.
        "He says to my dad, 'Mr. D, I made my decision,' " said Mark Doherty. "And my dad says, 'Oh, uh, good, Sean.' . . . My dad's disappointed because he wants him to go to UNH, but he's trying to hide it, and he says to Sean, 'Maybe you should tell your parents first.' And Sean says, 'Don't you want to know where I'm going?' "
        In Durham, UNH's coaches wanted to know, desperately. "We wanted Sean as much as we've wanted any player I can remember," said Coach Dick Umile, who also feared Collins was BU-bound.
        The wooing of Collins was a high-stakes contest in the off-the-ice competition that determines what happens on the ice.
        There is no recipe for recruiting success, but the ingredients are persistence, presentation and salesmanship. Recruiting requires a willingness to go to the fringes of the map to find a player. It is about connections, about being rewarded for treating someone right in the past. It is about appealing to the sensibilities of a kid and his family. It is about having a nice rink and an atmosphere that impresses.
        "The most important part of a program is replenishing the talent pool," said assistant coach Brian McCloskey, the Wildcats' primary recruiter. "You have one bad recruiting class, and it can set you back for years."
        'A persistent little guy'
        Normally, it is not Umile but Brian McCloskey who plays the key role in finding the next generation of UNH players.
        As the Wildcats' chief recruiter, McCloskey has to make a good first impression on prospective recruits. No doubt he does. He is tan and trim, a youthful 47 years old. A former Dartmouth College captain who has been recruiting for 15 years, he looks as though he could still skate a shift. He is polished and articulate. "Have to be able to talk in this business," he said.
        McCloskey isn't certain how many miles he logs annually, but a few airlines might have a better clue. "I have a lot of frequent-flyer cards," he said.
        The eclectic mix of players on the UNH roster is due to McCloskey's globetrotting. He found 1999 Hobey Baker award winner Jason Krog in the small coal-mining town of Fernie, British Columbia. He found two-time Hobey finalist Ty Conklin kicking aside shots in Anchorage, Alaska. He found assistant captain Garrett Stafford, a Los Angeles native, sharpening his skills in Des Moines in the United States Hockey League. He found former star Derek Bekar playing in a tournament in Las Vegas.
        "The geographic diversity enhances the closeness of the team," McCloskey said. "No one comes in with a built-in security blanket, like if you had all kids from Boston and so on."
        Lassonde, who recruits in Toronto and helps McCloskey elsewhere, likens the process to putting together a puzzle. "You have to have different shapes and sizes and forms to all the kids you bring in. I'm talking about what they bring to the program, from their character, their work ethic, to what they bring skill-wise."
        If McCloskey has a favorite turf in his hunt for those puzzle pieces, it is British Columbia. A Vancouver native, he has a network of contacts along Canada's west coast.
        That has paid dividends for the program. McCloskey found Colin Hemingway playing for the South Surrey Eagles in a Canadian junior league. Now a UNH junior and All-America candidate, Hemingway describes McCloskey as "a persistent little guy. He was a big reason why I came here. He's real personable, real easy to talk to, and he knows what he wants."
        And his pitch?
        At one of Hemingway's practices, McCloskey gave him a UNH media guide, "and he was kinda like, 'If you want to play for one of the top 10 teams in the country year in and year out, get a good education and enjoy a great atmosphere and a great tradition, this is the place for you.' "
        After visiting the Durham campus, Hemingway concurred. He called McCloskey to tell him he was coming to UNH. In the background, he heard the assistant coach high-five Lassonde.
        "Those are the ones you live for," said McCloskey. "Hey, we thought he was going to North Dakota. We were happy."
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Monumental decision
        Three years ago Brian McCloskey was at a hockey rink in South Surrey, British Columbia, wondering if he was wasting his time.
        McCloskey was in his second stint as an assistant coach at the University of New Hampshire and was trying to recruit a player from the British Columbia Hockey League's South Surrey Eagles. Although the BCHL was fertile recruiting territory for UNH — Jason Krog, the 1999 Hobey Baker Award winner, came to UNH from the BCHL's Chilliwack Chiefs — McCloskey's contacts told him that this player, a skilled forward named Colin Hemingway, had made up his mind and was going to attend the University of North Dakota.
        "I'd been told by some of the coaches in the league that (Hemingway) had some special talent, but I'd also been told that he was pretty much signed, sealed and delivered to North Dakota," McCloskey explained. "I went out to see him practice and I remember a North Dakota assistant was in the stands that day. Colin's coach told me I was welcome to talk to Colin, but North Dakota was in the picture and a lot of schools were backing out (of the recruiting process)."
        McCloskey never did talk to Hemingway that day. After practice the North Dakota assistant coach got to Hemingway in the locker room first and did what he could to keep him away from McCloskey.
        "I waited and waited and waited," McCloskey explained. " I think his plan was to keep Colin there all night so I wouldn't have a chance to talk to him. I finally said, 'The heck with it,' and went out to the lobby, got on the pay phone and called Colin's mom to set up a visit at their house to talk with them.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

So hearing might be a game in Manchester in Dec against Dartmouth right after a game at Dartmouth 🤨 was hoping those were done with. Looks like might be starting out with 5 road games (Colgate,CC and the Mack)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
            So hearing might be a game in Manchester in Dec against Dartmouth right after a game at Dartmouth 🤨 was hoping those were done with. Looks like might be starting out with 5 road games (Colgate,CC and the Mack)
            And, whew! No longer cupcake Princeton just announced their 2018-2019 schedule, and we ain't on it. :-)

Comment

'Watcher's post brings back some bittersweet memories of what it used to be like in the good ol' days.

Sure, Saviano may have initially been the "bait" to lure his buddy Collins, but when all was said and done, he ended up being just as important as his pal. No one set the tone out there like Saviano.

========

Also reminds me … after what he did to McCloskey, how can BS35+6 even look himself in the mirror?

But when you're an blood-sucking empty suit of a vampire, I suppose that makes it a lot easier.

Comment

Ok, what are we thinking, new assistant announcement by July 1st, schedule release by August 1st, captains announced by September 1st? Or, are these target dates way too soon?

Comment

Hopefully this month. Key is to get it right. I wonder if the plan changed dramatically since March. Not just who (White) but reevaluation skills they want or the budget they have.

With so many areas to be fixed, spend time on a right fix because the harm from an additional month is miniscule compared to the impact of the right hire for the next five years.

Just from memory,I believe assistants’ contracts run to May32 which is why Clarkson’s Roy had to depart yesterday and why Miami-Ohio might have announced Beal yesterday. So there may be a reason why it is waiting into June
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 06-02-2018, 08:27 AM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

If considering a donation to UNH, now is a great time with donations being matched up to $150: https://unh.edu/603/

The Challenge began at noon. Right now men's hockey has 17 donations totaling $2,055.00, the women are at 24/$1,930.00.

Other teams, as well as colleges, departments, organizations, programs, and scholarships are appreciative of donations as well.

The 603 Challenge ends on Friday June 8 at 6:00 PM
                    Last edited by Darius; 06-03-2018, 04:44 PM.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                      if considering a donation to unh, now is a great time with donations being matched up to $150: https://unh.edu/603/

the challenge began at noon. Right now men's hockey has 17 donations totaling $2,055.00, the women are at 24/$1,930.00.

Other teams, as well as colleges, departments, organizations, programs, and scholarships are appreciative of donations as well.

The 603 challenge ends on friday june 8 at 6:00 pm
                      done!
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-03-2018, 05:24 PM.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        done!
                        Thanks!
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          Hopefully this month. Key is to get it right. I wonder if the plan changed dramatically since March. Not just who (White) but reevaluation skills they want or the budget they have.

With so many areas to be fixed, spend time on a right fix because the harm from an additional month is miniscule compared to the impact of the right hire for the next five years.

Just from memory,I believe assistants’ contracts run to May32 which is why Clarkson’s Roy had to depart yesterday and why Miami-Ohio might have announced Beal yesterday. So there may be a reason why it is waiting into June
                          The WIS panel has set the over/under for announcement of UNH's new assistant coach at June 20th.

Comment

Clarkson assistant Phil Roy "leaving to pursue new opportunities"....possible candidate?

https://www.uscho.com/2018/06/02/cla...opportunities/
                            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              The WIS panel has set the over/under for announcement of UNH's new assistant coach at June 20th.
                              I will take the under, double or nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                                Clarkson assistant Phil Roy "leaving to pursue new opportunities"....possible candidate?

https://www.uscho.com/2018/06/02/cla...opportunities/
                                Scott that crossed my mind when I first saw that....hmmmm
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X