Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Thanks much. Know when we intend to hear something about the road games?

And given last year y'all came to us, perhaps the annual outing with RPI has come to an end.
    The Quest for 600 is over, FD. We have moved on to hosting powerhouses like Miami for two games this season. :-)

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      The Quest for 600 is over, FD. We have moved on to hosting powerhouses like Miami for two games this season. :-)
      Move on from visiting Alfond in the post season too? Just checking.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Still enthralled with excitement over winning at HFH for the first time in 20 years, I see. Looks like we've had a few "years off" even in this decade, so Happy Trails to You, until we meet again.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
          I believe we have an exhibition game on 10/6. We have 4 reciprocal games on the road as last October we had CC and Colgate. I believe FlagDUDE has these already. We will have 35 games in total as always. The only other away game is probably Dartmouth in December as it is probably home at SNHU arena one night and at Dartmouth the other night. The rest are hockey east and they have not finalized a few hockey east games. We have one less home game (that includes Verizon/SNHU). Maybe they will give griping season ticket holders extra seats at the Verizon as that has been empty the past 4 times we played there. They did not charge us extra for the additional home games last year. I believe it would be best if they dropped prices for season tickets and they probably would fill more seats but not sure they would generate more revenue overall. I am optimistic as always and we should be having fun predicting lines and defensive pairings and how many games we will win this year for over/under.

I wish they would get rid of the ESPN 3, but they argue that it gives us exposure. The total for all UNH sports is likely far short of $100,000 per year and it probably does not cover the cost of the UNH staff associated with the agreement. 20+ minutes per game reduces the enjoyment and flow of the game.

Have a great summer and I hope to see you all in October and better yet at the home opener for football.
          1932, the price on my tickets went up by $22 per ticket last year due to the extra game. The old cost was $307 and then went up to $329. The game at SNHU had better be included in the package (unlike two years ago) or that will be three less games and an effective $51 price hike this year. The home Dartmouth have was not shown in the renewal email as being at SNHU. Based on what they provided for a schedule in the email, there is no exhibition either and until they show otherwise that's what I'm going to believe.

Based on other interactions I have had with the management this year, they are completely tone deaf to the people still wanting to support this team. I don't ask for much, I just do not take kindly to being taken advantage of through my support of this program. I'm awaiting a reply from the ticket office and I'm considering cancelling my tickets this season.

It's too bad, I like this team but they are being managed into the hole that they are in. Many long term season ticket holders were on the verge of quitting after last season. After seeing through the charade of not raising prices but providing less product, how many does that push over the edge? Anyway, I'm ranting... I'll just leave with this, I have emailed the ticket office and I encourage others who are put off by this to do the same. Maybe they will listen at some point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            DB is spot on....17 home games, no exhibition game. First home game is Oct. 27:

10/27 UVM
            11/3 UMass-Amherst
            11/10 BU
            11/23 Miami
            11/24 Miami
            12/1 Providence
            12/8 Dartmouth
            12/30 Bentley

1/4 Merrimack
            1/5 Yale
            1/12 BC
            1/26 UConn
            2/1 Maine
            2/2 Maine
            2/22 Northeastern
            2/23 Northeastern
            3/1 UMass-Lowell
            Playing over 1/3 of home games with no students on campus. That seems like a lot.
            Are you guys brothers?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Still enthralled with excitement over winning at HFH for the first time in 20 years, I see. Looks like we've had a few "years off" even in this decade, so Happy Trails to You, until we meet again.
              Oh, yeah, it was right down the tubes after that Cats win.

Comment

Flagdude

UNH away out of conference

Colgate is two games at Colgate Second week October

Colorado College two games at CC 3rd week October

The other away game is Dartmouth 1st week in December

You have the home games I trust as someone posted them.

Comment

deltabravo

I was unaware of the increase. They maintained those costs for long term ticket holders. I feel your pain and will deal with your issue tomorrow. I hope they consider military, under 30 or 35 and over 62 or 65 at lower prices as well. I asked them to follow Lowell last year and they seem to think there is great demand for the product. I will get back to you through Hockey Ref by 2 pm tomorrow. If worse comes to worst, I will find a way to get you to the games.

Comment

The kids only show up for the big games and BC will sell a lot of tickets regardless. I agree it would be better if they were here. The recent past has students showing up for the former top 4 teams and still leaving early to play on their phones, tablets and laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                      Flagdude

UNH away out of conference

Colgate is two games at Colgate Second week October

Colorado College two games at CC 3rd week October

The other away game is Dartmouth 1st week in December

You have the home games I trust as someone posted them.
                      Thanks very much. That just leaves the eight remaining away in-conference games. Maine, UML (2), and Merrimack have already released.

Comment

I have been a season ticket holder for my entire life. I grew up watching games at Snively and have been sitting in the same seat for nearly every game since the Whitt opened. UNH hockey will always have a huge place in my heart. For the better part of the last 25 years I have lived about an hour and a half north of Durham. But rarely missed a home game and would even splurge to the occasional away game a couple times per season. I do not post on the forum but I always read through all of the UNH threads and love the discussions that take place. Over the last few years my family has lost interest in going to the games. So for the last few seasons I have been bringing friends and colleagues. Or giving my tickets away to local youth hockey families when I cannot attend.

I understood as ticket prices soared while the season ticket holder waiting list grew. I also understood ticket prices staying high even as the list shrunk and became nonexistant as the program and the administration believed that they needed the money to ensure a good product. But I have reached a point where I just cant afford to buy my tickets anymore. Due to work conflicts I missed more games this past season than I ever had. And because of the drop in talent off of the ice and the decline of the atmosphere in the building I struggled to even give away my tickets. Despite finishing under .500 for the 4th season in a row UNH was still 3rd in Hockey East in attendance. I know that when the program turns around that the building will fill up again. For the last few years I hoped that the University would understand that the players feed off of the energy in the building and would put some effort into tending to the fans. What I see is all of the deals and packages offered for single game or groups of games. How can I justify spending full price for all of my seats when the people next to me paid a third of what I did?

I am not turning my back on the team, I will continue to drive down and buy myself individual tickets for any games that I can make it to. But having to give up my seat is painful, and I am saddened that the admin has not taken the time to appreciate those of us who had stayed with them as the product slipped. I am not mad about the Jumbotron and I think that selling alcohol at the games this year was a long time coming. It was embarrassing for me to tell the people that I would take with me to the games about how loud the place used to be. Seeing all of the empty seats and remembering all of the raucous crowds we used to have just made it harder to swallow. The most embarrassing thing for me was that it seemed like I was more embarrassed than UNH was. Stop blaming the students for leaving early, stop blaming the younger generation for staring at their phones when the product you have on the ice isn't worth watching, and stop blaming the fans for leaving as it is not their fault that you completely turned a blind eye to the people who supported you the most.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHJourney34 View Post
                          Seeing all of the empty seats and remembering all of the raucous crowds we used to have just made it harder to swallow. The most embarrassing thing for me was that it seemed like I was more embarrassed than UNH was. Stop blaming the students for leaving early, stop blaming the younger generation for staring at their phones when the product you have on the ice isn't worth watching, and stop blaming the fans for leaving as it is not their fault that you completely turned a blind eye to the people who supported you the most.

Bravo. This was my exact thought when I saw the responses to someone making a good point about supply and demand. Blaming people and kids when there is a far deeper problem continues the consistent theme that there is no problem, that the problem lies elsewhere with gimmicky fixes.

There is a deep rot. Those close to the decision makers and the decision makers continue to live in the past, thinking the team has earned some right of respect, and the problem is with those who don't see that. The program needs urgent care, not the mentality we see at all levels:

1.UNH is a privilege, we just need to find the right recruits recognize how lucky they are to play here
                          2.There is no need to be aggressive, we are a blue chip, not a dot com.
                          3.The fans will return, and those who point out truths are just bad fans
                          4.Those pesky kids. If only they would change we could get more attendance and excitement
                          5.Don't worry, turnaround is just around the corner, trust us.

Where the hell is the second assistant? I understand the curveball of Mark White, but was there no plan B, or C, or wherever we are after getting turned down? Three months ago:

Mike Lowry: Do you have a rough timeline on when your replacement will be identified and selected?

Head Coach Souza: We've been thinking about this for three years and there's some people in mind. Probably sooner rather than later, to be honest, I don't want to get into too much right now, but sooner rather than later. I think it's integral to our push forward in terms of recruiting to have someone in place as soon as we can.
                          integral apparently is a relative term. USHL teams area all conducting their tryout camps this past week, and in a couple of weeks the USA festival starts.

You were in last place in the conference. Show some urgency!
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 06-11-2018, 07:17 PM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by UNHJourney34 View Post
                            I have been a season ticket holder for my entire life. I grew up watching games at Snively and have been sitting in the same seat for nearly every game since the Whitt opened. UNH hockey will always have a huge place in my heart. For the better part of the last 25 years I have lived about an hour and a half north of Durham. But rarely missed a home game and would even splurge to the occasional away game a couple times per season. I do not post on the forum but I always read through all of the UNH threads and love the discussions that take place. Over the last few years my family has lost interest in going to the games. So for the last few seasons I have been bringing friends and colleagues. Or giving my tickets away to local youth hockey families when I cannot attend.

I understood as ticket prices soared while the season ticket holder waiting list grew. I also understood ticket prices staying high even as the list shrunk and became nonexistant as the program and the administration believed that they needed the money to ensure a good product. But I have reached a point where I just cant afford to buy my tickets anymore. Due to work conflicts I missed more games this past season than I ever had. And because of the drop in talent off of the ice and the decline of the atmosphere in the building I struggled to even give away my tickets. Despite finishing under .500 for the 4th season in a row UNH was still 3rd in Hockey East in attendance. I know that when the program turns around that the building will fill up again. For the last few years I hoped that the University would understand that the players feed off of the energy in the building and would put some effort into tending to the fans. What I see is all of the deals and packages offered for single game or groups of games. How can I justify spending full price for all of my seats when the people next to me paid a third of what I did?

I am not turning my back on the team, I will continue to drive down and buy myself individual tickets for any games that I can make it to. But having to give up my seat is painful, and I am saddened that the admin has not taken the time to appreciate those of us who had stayed with them as the product slipped. I am not mad about the Jumbotron and I think that selling alcohol at the games this year was a long time coming. It was embarrassing for me to tell the people that I would take with me to the games about how loud the place used to be. Seeing all of the empty seats and remembering all of the raucous crowds we used to have just made it harder to swallow. The most embarrassing thing for me was that it seemed like I was more embarrassed than UNH was. Stop blaming the students for leaving early, stop blaming the younger generation for staring at their phones when the product you have on the ice isn't worth watching, and stop blaming the fans for leaving as it is not their fault that you completely turned a blind eye to the people who supported you the most.
                            Two years ago My wife and I gave up our season tickets which we had since the Whit opened. And in the Snively days we were regular attendees from 1976 on. We are fortunate to have friends who always have extra tickets so we still go to a significant number of games but it is not the same. The lack of talent results in a lack of electricity in the building. On most nights the Whit is like a morgue sadly. I am more convinced than ever that the days of sellouts and screaming fans will never come back. Attendance for college hockey is down everywhere so, even if UNH started winning, I can’t see them selling out except occasionally. It’ll never be the same as it was but thankfully I do have the great memories.

Comment

Hey, who kidnapped UNHJourney32 and why did you steal his USCHO password? Not I, but apparently I am now more optimistic about the Cats' future than he is. :-)

Following his suggestions, I already proposed an over/under of 12 (11.5) wins, in which I took the over of 12 or more wins, and the only respondent Chuck took the under of 11 wins or fewer. Anyone else want in?
                              Last edited by Snively65; 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Hey, who kidnapped UNHJourney32 and why did you steal his USCHO password? Not I, but apparently I am now more optimistic about the Cats' future than he is. :-)

Following his suggestions, I already proposed an over/under of 12 (11.5) wins, in which I took the over of 12 or more wins, and the only respondent Chuck took the under of 11 wins or fewer. Anyone else want in?
                                Great stuff on this board today everyone really wants the same things for our 'Cats and that is to be as successful as possible. There are many great fans who want to continue supporting the 'Cats.

I do believe fan input is heard; at least I've found the channels I've used to connect with on most things (not the product on the ice of course) to be open and interested in creating a positive fan experience. That said totally get where DB and others are coming from. It can always be better...

Speaking of the product on the ice so hoping for a turn around this season; even one that might be ever so slight but makes it more than noticeable...as well as enjoyable!! I want to take some optimism into this season.

As per this I'll the latest contest of sorts I'll take the over of 13 or more wins...sounds plausible to me! (I believe that was the point of my post sans the hyperbole )
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-11-2018, 08:47 PM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X