Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Excellent job 'Cats! Was interesting to listen to the majors tonight; everything from Nutrition to Electrical Engineering. I do believe all the Freshmen were there tonight; met a couple of them. Thought it was a successful night for the STH and the team.
    Ok, who is the EE major? We had this same conversation at the Whitt last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Ok, who is the EE major? We had this same conversation at the Whitt last season.
      Lazzaro
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

You know what I liked/appreciated MOST about last night? There's was no 'resting on our UNH laurels" in Souza's speech. He said (more than once) we are hard at work righting things to reclaim our spot in Hockey East, and the nation.

He recognizes this is the here and now and that's there's work to be done and they are rolling up their sleeves to do it. Not going to happen overnight...but I believe the strong commitment is there and that is the first step. That does not take away from the fact that UNH has a rich history of success on the ice and that is a lot to be proud of.

If they make the HE tournament...will most fans be satisfied with that this season? Will that be a benchmark for success? I think so....it's a goal that is doable, not lofty as far as I see it...

Next...recruiting...huge...

#NewEraCats
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-13-2018, 12:05 PM.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          You know what I liked/appreciated MOST about last night? There's was no 'resting on our UNH laurels" in Souza's speech. He said (more than once) we are hard at work righting things to reclaim our spot in Hockey East, and the nation.

He recognizes this is the here and now and that's there's work to be done and they are rolling up their sleeves to do it. Not going to happen overnight...but I believe the strong commitment is there and that is the first step. That does not take away from the fact that UNH has a rich history of success on the ice and that is a lot to be proud of.

If they make the HE tournament...will most fans be satisfied with that this season? Will that be a benchmark for success? I think so....it's a goal that is doable, not lofty as far as I see it...

#NewEraCats
          I think that we should be able to get out of the HEA basement (the perennial optimist here) by beating out Mack and UVM, but will need also to surpass Yukon, or maybe UML or UMass-Flagship, if we want to get into the "spanking brand new" HEA tournament. I am thinking that we can do that, come in eighth, and then likely get bounced in two games in someone else's barn in the first round. And, I definitely would view that as an improvement. My earlier prediction for 15 W's should probably include 15 L's and 4 ties for the upcoming season.
          Last edited by Snively65; 07-13-2018, 05:04 PM. Reason: added another thought

Comment

#NewEraCats
            I am not sure UNH is that far off. I think it was a good hire. New blood and a new era as you say. Looking forward to bootstrapping this rivalry again.

As we can see, a good goalie can lift a program. #swayman #tytaylor

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              I am not sure UNH is that far off. I think it was a good hire. New blood and a new era as you say. Looking forward to bootstrapping this rivalry again.

As we can see, a good goalie can lift a program. #swayman #tytaylor
              We shall see how the goalie situation unfolds and a lot will depend on how recruiting goes. How many more seasons do you think you guys will have Swayman for? He had a very good dev camp from what I gathered. The vibe was positive last night; I mean, just felt like people felt good about what's to come while understanding where we are. It was a good move on the program's part to put the new coach in front laying out his plan early on, and having most of the team there was a bonus. Very successful outing for everyone.

Season is not that far away! But that Maine game on a Monday night? Yuck!

#NewEraCats
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

'Watcher (and who ever else might have insight) who at this recent camp (Selects 16) would UNH be interested in if they had a 'wish list' of sorts? Am assuming that some/many have already committed?
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I stopped paying attention after the past five years of UNH having no chance at any top players -- it's irrelevant seeing who USHR and Jeff Cox identify as the top players at the camp, because UNH no longer is in the running for any of them. But I would love to see some signal that UNH is aggressive going after top kids at a younger age. Signaling that you are still a player is as important as actually getting the kids.

Here's the guys who made the USA select 17 team (the non Development Team guys)
                  https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/s...ent-u-s-roster

Top scorers
                  https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/s...velopment-camp

You also have Scott Morrow who didn’t make the tourney all-star team, so seems to have had a weak camp.
                  https://teamusa.usahockey.com/tourna...3f6d65230000ab

and Riley Duran from Souza’s GBL network in Woburn and Malden Catholic, now going to play for Robbie Barker at Lawrence. https://teamusa.usahockey.com/tourna...3f6d6523000020

Jackson Pierson teammate Patrick Schmeidlin so maybe a connection there. https://teamusa.usahockey.com/tourna...3f6d65230000b0

Shattuck d David Ma from out east here. And Florida’s Avery Winslow.

Goalie Gavin Fitzpatrick, who is in that second tier behind Commesso.

And if you want to dream about higher end but risky kids, a really small kid is Dzhaniyev.
                  https://teamusa.usahockey.com/tourna...3f6d6523000055
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-15-2018, 09:59 AM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

#NewEraCats
                    It is easy to say the right things in general terms. It is much harder to identify the specific issues (the right ones) and then act to fix those issues.

I won't be a believer until I see evidence that there is a sense of urgency to act. The assistant coach fiasco is the latest example, hopefully there was learning that happened for the next issue.

Give me actions and results not words.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      It is easy to say the right things in general terms. It is much harder to identify the specific issues (the right ones) and then act to fix those issues.

I won't be a believer until I see evidence that there is a sense of urgency to act. The assistant coach fiasco is the latest example, hopefully there was learning that happened for the next issue.

Well hey a lot remains to be seen...and I get it, 'talk is cheap' kind of thing. I spent much of last year at events where nothing was said about the season, how great it's been in the past, which you'd expect I suppose given the year it was and the outgoing coach etc. He (Souza) knows the work that's cut out for him and he's willing to do that work. Anyway...the proof is indeed in the pudding. Trust me, I may be a cheerleader fan but I also call it as I see it...that's the 'ref' part.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Lazzaro
                        Highest GPA on team last season in arguably the hardest major; kudos to Joe Lazaro.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Highest GPA on team last season in arguably the hardest major; kudos to Joe Lazaro.
                          Sure is...I know that first hand having had a son go through the EE program. Excellent education...but hard, hard work! Agree; kudos to Joe!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

We shall see how the goalie situation unfolds and a lot will depend on how recruiting goes. How many more seasons do you think you guys will have Swayman for? He had a very good dev camp from what I gathered. The vibe was positive last night; I mean, just felt like people felt good about what's to come while understanding where we are. It was a good move on the program's part to put the new coach in front laying out his plan early on, and having most of the team there was a bonus. Very successful outing for everyone.

Season is not that far away! But that Maine game on a Monday night? Yuck!

#NewEraCats
                            My guess was two more seasons. But if he has a monster only one more.

I am cheering for the monster year since that means great things for Maine.

On the schedule... I know weird. But overall this is an improvement. The past few years Maine's schedule was terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Put me down for this too. Hopefully the three years of dutiful, respectful obedience makes way for a whole new way of doing things, and a whole new attitude, from top to bottom. The program has gotten way past stale. If MS isn't prepared to sweat blood to turn this around, it's simply not going to happen. He can't afford to underestimate the scope of the task now at hand. And it's finally "show time" ...
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Jeff Giuliano goes back to school

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS07/180719638

Jeff Giuliano reached three Frozen Fours and won the 2001 national championship but he never once left the Whittemore Center victorious during his career at Boston College.

"There's just something about this place," Giuliano said. "I can't put my finger on it right now but the connection I had when I came up here, I just wanted to be here and now that I'm here, it's great and I'm so excited."
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X