Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    No big loss. Just makes his old buddy Souza look a little silly, that's all.
    Waiting weeks to announce your new assistant, then he bolts, looks more than silly. Has the look of a rookie coach who can't close the deal. You would assume Souza had White's word on this, or why wait so long. If he didn't, why wait at all? Either way it's a bad look for Mike. If there was a handshake agreement with White, I guess it goes to his character a bit, so losing out on him probably isn't a bad thing in the long run. Dan was spot on, should have moved on weeks ago when he wouldn't commit.
    GO BLUE!

Comment

No big loss. Just makes his old buddy Souza look a little silly, that's all.

Agree with 'Watcher. If the second dip in the assistant's pool - this time not clouded by the buddy-buddy issue - nets the guy who gives this program a much-needed boot in the arse, then it will have been worth it. Seems like Mike and Stu were doing pretty well without MW (and DU) anyway.

And if this pushes Souza off his buddy-buddy mindset for the future, all the better.

… now watch him go hire Mark Mowers …
      Oops, Jim Tortorella already taken, by Mack; snooze, you looze.

Comment

Hear a rumor about a week ago of former Bu player and now St Marks coach Carl Corazzini

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
          Hear a rumor about a week ago of former Bu player and now St Marks coach Carl Corazzini
          He was the other hot name when the position posted. He is another close friend of Souza, Chuck - and one without a single day of experience coaching and recruiting above the prep level...

---

I know I've been beating the drum for Souza to get his guy in place - but after thinking about it. If I'm Souza, at this point (12 weeks later) and assuming the next guy on his list is CC or similar, I'm at least taking the time to find out if Albie O'Connell will be passed over at BU and, if so, he'd have a pillow landing spot if he felt like he might not get retained by the next BU coach...

Same situation for David Carle at DU, actually.
          Last edited by Dan; 05-23-2018, 08:29 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Despite the "innovative" three year plan put in place by the genius in the corner office, the fact of the matter is, Coach Souza is still basically a rookie head coach. His predecessor never really gave up the reins to his position until he was literally walking out the door. Now his buddy MW goes all Hamlet on him. There are many more rookie mistakes to be made, I'm sure. This is why I've been saying all along that the UNH Hockey program hasn't hit bottom yet, and it won't turn around until MS (or his successor, or God forbid his successor's successor) inject some urgency AND competency to make this all work.

Recent events also make me question why we've seen the snail's pace of the in-season recruiting these last few years, which now seems to be routinely followed by the late-season rush for what's left? One of two explanations - neither good - one, DU held him back (which seems to make no sense on its surface, but … ), and two, maybe Souza and Stu just aren't that good at recruiting the front line prospects? And even when they did (Commesso) they found a way to mess that up (rookie mistake?).

It will be fascinating to see how the next few seasons play out, as we'll be seeing a parallel universe of sorts playing out less than an hour away in North Andover, where what can probably be fairly described as BS35+6's "Plan B" coaching team (Borek, Tortorella and Ciocco) will be going ahead with the "Plan A" dream team of Souza, Stewart, and White someone else. I'd propose this will serve as a referendum on our esteemed AD's savvy, and a chance for him to prove to naysayers (like me and a few others) that he really does know what he's doing with the UNH Hockey program. Or to look like an idiot.

I'd rather look like an idiot with a perennial winning team on the ice in Durham. I can live with that.
            Last edited by Chuck Murray; 05-24-2018, 09:10 AM.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Now his buddy MW goes all Hamlet on him.
              Now his buddy MW goes all McDaniels on him.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                MacKinnon is a nice, physical, stay-at-home defenseman who fell in their lap when it didn’t work out with another school. The key quote from his profile on C-H-C’s blog was regarding UNH having a need and ‘the means to fill that need’. Meaning, they were one of the only schools left with money he wanted…
                Slight over statement.

Mike Lowry: When you renewed the recruiting process, what college programs did you consider? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?

Will MacKinnon: I went through an extensive recruiting process two years ago so I had a pretty good sense of the type of schools and programs that would be a good fit for me this time around. We (my advisors, my dad, and I) spoke to a couple different schools but UNH quickly emerged as the top choice. They had an immediate roster need as well the resources to fill it and I am thrilled with the quality of UNH as a school and institution. I fit well with strong cultures and I liked everything Coach Souza had to say in regards to what he wants the UNH Men’s Hockey Program to stand for.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Despite the "innovative" three year plan put in place by the genius in the corner office, the fact of the matter is, Coach Souza is still basically a rookie head coach. His predecessor never really gave up the reins to his position until he was literally walking out the door. Now his buddy MW goes all Hamlet on him. There are many more rookie mistakes to be made, I'm sure. This is why I've been saying all along that the UNH Hockey program hasn't hit bottom yet, and it won't turn around until MS (or his successor, or God forbid his successor's successor) inject some urgency AND competency to make this all work.

Recent events also make me question why we've seen the snail's pace of the in-season recruiting these last few years, which now seems to be routinely followed by the late-season rush for what's left? One of two explanations - neither good - one, DU held him back (which seems to make no sense on its surface, but … ), and two, maybe Souza and Stu just aren't that good at recruiting the front line prospects? And even when they did (Commesso) they found a way to mess that up (rookie mistake?).

It will be fascinating to see how the next few seasons play out, as we'll be seeing a parallel universe of sorts playing out less than an hour away in North Andover, where what can probably be fairly described as BS35+6's "Plan B" coaching team (Borek, Tortorella and Ciocco) will be going ahead with the "Plan A" dream team of Souza, Stewart, and White someone else. I'd propose this will serve as a referendum on our esteemed AD's savvy, and a chance for him to prove to naysayers (like me and a few others) that he really does know what he's doing with the UNH Hockey program. Or to look like an idiot.

I'd rather look like an idiot with a perennial winning team on the ice in Durham. I can live with that.
                  Not sure you can blame Souza for Commesso leaving. The goalie coach - Mike Buckley at the time got offered a pro NHL job with the Penguins and left UNH - cant blame anyone for that. He is probably the #1 goalie guy in hockey and couldnt pass that up. I am sure that played a massive role in the decommit. Buckley/Quinn both leave for NHL jobs - thats why you can never blame a kid for switching commitments - a lot can change.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Slight over statement.

Mike Lowry: When you renewed the recruiting process, what college programs did you consider? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?

Will MacKinnon: I went through an extensive recruiting process two years ago so I had a pretty good sense of the type of schools and programs that would be a good fit for me this time around. We (my advisors, my dad, and I) spoke to a couple different schools but UNH quickly emerged as the top choice. They had an immediate roster need as well the resources to fill it and I am thrilled with the quality of UNH as a school and institution. I fit well with strong cultures and I liked everything Coach Souza had to say in regards to what he wants the UNH Men’s Hockey Program to stand for.
                    Not sure why you need to split hairs over this?? He de-committed from Denver, he picked UNH after he renewed the recruiting process.
                    UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                      Not sure you can blame Souza for Commesso leaving. The goalie coach - Mike Buckley at the time got offered a pro NHL job with the Penguins and left UNH - cant blame anyone for that. He is probably the #1 goalie guy in hockey and couldnt pass that up. I am sure that played a massive role in the decommit. Buckley/Quinn both leave for NHL jobs - thats why you can never blame a kid for switching commitments - a lot can change.
                      The goalie coach was attached to UNH primarily by Skype. Souza was the lead assistant and coach-in-waiting, and certainly was in position to build a relationship with what was clearly a "blue chip" type prospect that was in high demand. He could (and should) have handled it more proactively than just assuming the kid was in the "committed" column. Again, another rookie mistake, and if the Taylor kid comes in this season and does the job for the next 3-4 seasons, may be no big deal?

It may be a good thing in the long run that Coach Souza has gotten kicked in the teeth both by decommitting recruits, and his buddy-buddy, would-be associate head coach, right at the outset of his time as HC. Might start to see some of that urgency I always kvetch about, that we haven't seen at UNH in WAY too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        Now his buddy MW goes all McDaniels on him.
                        Good call. I like that one better. Certainly more relevant and timely.

Comment

Good stuff on MW's defection, if that is what happened? But, McDaniels probably reconsidered that Bellichek's years remaining as HC are low-numbered, whereas MW might have realized finally that he could wait for decades should MS remain HC for the long term? As for Hamlet? "You get nothing!"

Longest tenure of NCAA Div 1 HC's for one team?

Inclusive of upcoming 2018/19 season, if applicable:
                          Parker, 40 yrs, BU
                          Jack Riley, 36 yrs, Army
                          Peters, 35 yrs, Bemidji
                          Berenson, 33 yrs, Michigan
                          Gotkin, 31 yrs, Mercyhurst
                          Brose, 30 yrs, Mankato
                          Umile, 28 yrs, UNH
                          Daniels, 27 yrs, Ferris
                          Vaughan, 27 yrs, Colgate
                          Marsh, 26 yrs, St Laurence
                          McInnes, 26 yrs, Mich Tech
                          Last edited by Snively65; 07-05-2018, 09:58 PM.

Comment

The goalie coach was attached to UNH primarily by Skype. Souza was the lead assistant and coach-in-waiting, and certainly was in position to build a relationship with what was clearly a "blue chip" type prospect that was in high demand. He could (and should) have handled it more proactively than just assuming the kid was in the "committed" column. Again, another rookie mistake, and if the Taylor kid comes in this season and does the job for the next 3-4 seasons, may be no big deal?

It may be a good thing in the long run that Coach Souza has gotten kicked in the teeth both by decommitting recruits, and his buddy-buddy, would-be associate head coach, right at the outset of his time as HC. Might start to see some of that urgency I always kvetch about, that we haven't seen at UNH in WAY too long.
                            Very valid points...and the bigger issue is the lack of recruiting on several levels. Land a blue chip and then do nothing for months on end....not a good strategy. Thats when UNH had to get more aggressive yet they are getting more conservative. The recruiting strategy seems to be sitting back and waiting on kids that decommit from other schools and then try to land them....ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              Very valid points...and the bigger issue is the lack of recruiting on several levels. Land a blue chip and then do nothing for months on end....not a good strategy. Thats when UNH had to get more aggressive yet they are getting more conservative. The recruiting strategy seems to be sitting back and waiting on kids that decommit from other schools and then try to land them....ugh.
                              Not exactly the same process, but seems to have worked for the LVGK in their first NHL season.

Comment

Who knows what happened with Mark White. Maybe MS has had some self-scouting, and realized that he doesn't just need a guy on his same wavelenth, but someone with skills missing on the Coaching staff. The new glass half-full Watcher will read the re-set this way. Does he get someone he knows, or someone from outside? I know nothing about Beal, and Jeff seems to be speculating, but if Souza is actually evaluating the broader (i.e., non Mass) market, then I'm all for it.

Dan, I think Carle and O'Connell are far out of our league given their credentials.
                                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-25-2018, 11:49 AM.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X