Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Here's some bio for our new AC Jeff Giuliano:

https://www.mryha.org/page/show/3951...-jeff-giuliano
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
      Background on new Assistant Coach Jeff Giuliano:
      https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/50-ki...no/c-282793188
      we were posting at the same time! I think this is a great addition; has NHL background, has coached, obviously, hockey accomplishments...similar age to Souza...passion for the game! Welcome Coach G!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-10-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Wow! There it is and JUST in time for the cookout Scott! At first glance...I'm psyched!
        I thought y'all were looking for an experienced recruiter, preferably with a defenseman background. He appears to be neither of those, I'm interested in hearing why you are psyched.
        Last edited by Agganis; 07-10-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Wow. Cool news. Giuliano is a terrific dude, I would bet he is going to be a fantastic coach and the players will love the guy.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
            I thought y'all were looking for an experienced recruiter, preferably with a defenseman background. He appears to be neither of those, I'm interested in hearing why you are psyched.
            I am speaking for myself...and yes, I am curious/wondering about d background that I was hoping for (not to mention the recruiting edge you mention; hope this is can be a strong suit) I feel he brings to the table a lot of experience in the game; that has to speak for something, has extensive player background and coaching (at the pro level) I'm sure others have their POV on him.

Largely it's a first glance reaction...and, being so late in the year, I think it's a good pick. The big dogs haven't spoken up yet, but, that's my initial take. I'm glad we have someone with his credentials on board personally. (And I THINK I can over look his BC background)

Comment

Lets see how he will sell this as a Master Recruiter. I am from NH, was recruited by UNH when they were REALLY good, turned them down to go to a big time school with better academics, won a national championship there, went out to the real world while UNH sunk to the bottom without a rudder hockey wise, UNH improved academically and nicely renovated some buildings (Ham Smith), you should come to UNH so we can finally get over the NC hump, versus going to that hockey factory at the end of Comm Ave ......... where I had all my success.

Oh, I forgot. We have a nice new scoreboard (an even nicer one at the football stadium) and the new President is from UNC-Chapel Hill, so there will be easy courses for athletes where someone else does your work for you. :-) :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                I was not psyched until I read Nick's post. :-)

Hey, he is from Cow Hampsha and he has a NC ring.

A lot of posters here were hoping that the hire would be from outside the UNH "family," but six seasons of pro hockey in Cortina must have met with the godfather's approval?

But, without Giuliano having blue line and/or collegiate recruiting experience, I am guessing that those pursuits beyond White also failed. Although neither played the blue line, I am wondering if Ayers or Ciooco were considered?
                Last edited by Snively65; 07-10-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  I was not psyched until I read Nick's post. :-)

Hey, he is from Cow Hampsha and he has a NC ring.

A lot of posters here were hoping that the hire would be from outside the UNH "family," but six seasons of pro hockey in Cortina must have met with the godfather's approval?

But, without Giuliano having blue line and/or collegiate recruiting experience, I am guessing that those pursuits beyond White also failed. Although neither played the blue line, I am wondering if Ayers or Ciooco were considered?
                  Sometimes one of the biggest assets a coach can have is a strong knowledge of the game and the ability to translate that to players. Rapport and building team cohesiveness counts too.

Seems like UNH landed a person who has the first characteristic in place. I would’ve liked a defensive minded coach but we haven’t heard what his responsibilities were in his last gig. I’m looking forward to hearing more about him and hear his philosophies. I hope he’s ready to hit the ground running recruiting wise as well.

He not only played abroad but also has NHL experience and it’s pretty cool he knows what it feels like to win a NC which is to me a plus. Ayers would’ve had the job if he wanted it most likely (speculation here) and Josh C is heading to ‘Mack so that’s that. (If I have that right?) We’ll never know if either were in the running and maybe Dan’s right that White was the one til that folded.

I’m glad the selection is out of the UNH family. In fact I think that’s a strong suit. Regardless hope to meet him Thursday at the cookout.
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-10-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                    I guess our standards are sufficiently diminished, that prior experience/success in recruiting is not an option. Just happy to have a blank slate, and not a guy with a spotty resume. Recruiting is a young man's game with enthusiasm to be able to sell energy and momentum. Not sure how to compare him to Corrazzini, another same aged guy with little resume. Proof will be in the results, so go get them. I hope Jeff's enthusiasm is evident, but also that he has some connections beyond NE that he can harness. 6 years in Germany should get him in the door for Tim Fleischer to join his linemate Stutzle.

Let's hope his excitement can generate a connection to kids that the existing staff has not been able to foster. And hopefully NH gets him out of the Lou Finocchiaro network. Don't just go with the low hanging fruit in your backyard.

Slow steps from dead last in HE. Sell that Mike is a coach, not a recruiter, and now it's my job to get him the talent -- he's given me free reign, and you, as a kid I've been following since __ are a kid I want. Be the first to join the team. I promise you I will get you supporting cast to play with. Don't judge the present team, my job is to bring in talent, and I Need you to be the first kid to get us up to where we were.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-10-2018, 07:20 PM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• When Giuliano was at BC, there were constant questions as to why a NH kid like him was not interested in UNH. Then the story that came out was that his father, a high school principal, felt that UNH academics were lacking, at least compared to BC. This was close to 20 years ago so I am willing to start with a clean slate and see how he does. Good luck to him. He has a tough job ahead of him.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        (And I THINK I can over look his BC background)
                        I like that he has a BC background.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Giuliano would not have been my first choice, but at this late date, I think it is a good one. I like Giuliano over White at any point, simply because he isn't from UNH.

As for Ayers I think he is the guy after the guy, if UNH is smart.
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                            Giuliano would not have been my first choice, but at this late date, I think it is a good one. I like Giuliano over White at any point, simply because he isn't from UNH.

As for Ayers I think he is the guy after the guy, if UNH is smart.
                            Willing to keep an open mind. As 'Watcher said, I don't see a huge difference between him and Corrazzini, but I agree with JB that getting someone from "outside" might be a good thing, and the White situation may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. As I've posted before, I totally agree Ayers may be positioning himself as "the guy after the guy"; it never made sense for him to come back now, once Souza was ordained as "the guy". He's more qualified, and it would have been a demotion.

Remembering back when Guiliano was a player, and the ruckus when he snubbed UNH to go to BC, where he carved out a decent career as a 3rd line guy with the likes of Ned Havern and Ales Dolinar. How ironic that he's finally in Durham, although his job here could just as easily be a stepping stone for a better job elsewhere in the college hockey world. Sounds like, as charming as it apparently was to be coaching the only pro team in your home state, the endless routine of bus rides in the 'Coast and a lack of upward mobility in the Kings organization probably made this job look like a good option.

So now we all have one less thing to grouse about. Not sure about having three guys who all played forward positions being able to coach up the back end, but we'll see soon enough.

Now if they appoint the painfully underachieving Vela as this year's Captain …
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Willing to keep an open mind. As 'Watcher said, I don't see a huge difference between him and Corrazzini, but I agree with JB that getting someone from "outside" might be a good thing, and the White situation may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. As I've posted before, I totally agree Ayers may be positioning himself as "the guy after the guy"; it never made sense for him to come back now, once Souza was ordained as "the guy". He's more qualified, and it would have been a demotion.

Remembering back when Guiliano was a player, and the ruckus when he snubbed UNH to go to BC, where he carved out a decent career as a 3rd line guy with the likes of Ned Havern and Ales Dolinar. How ironic that he's finally in Durham, although his job here could just as easily be a stepping stone for a better job elsewhere in the college hockey world. Sounds like, as charming as it apparently was to be coaching the only pro team in your home state, the endless routine of bus rides in the 'Coast and a lack of upward mobility in the Kings organization probably made this job look like a good option.

So now we all have one less thing to grouse about. Not sure about having three guys who all played forward positions being able to coach up the back end, but we'll see soon enough.

So who's your pick for Captain if I may ask? I'd be happy with any of those I mentioned..and, think like widlcatdc says, might be a Souza pick. I do no know how Captains are / were selected in the past; anyone know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

With all due respect, and in fairness to this kid....just because he hasnt been the player you expected him to be ( how many times did you evaluate him prior to UNH?) it does not necessarily mean he is a poor teammate, friend, or leader. It does not necessarily mean he he isnt a hard worker or a good student. It doesnt necessarily mean he hasnt given everything he has to the program.

Maybe he ends up a captain, maybe not.

Maybe hes a good option, maybe he isnt.

Maybe he is a hell of a guy, maybe not.

But the point is, whether he is or isnt, there is a very high likelihood that it has absolutely diddly to do with the fact that he hasnt lived up to your expectations on the ice, which may or may not have been reasonable if you had seen him play prior to UNH.

Comment

Working...
                                X