Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Agreed on SMT's; I was for the SMT's before I was against the SMT's, especially after last season when the Cats' PP was the 22nd worst at 18.14% (and their 5-3 PP was especially atrocious), but their PK was fourth best in Div 1 at 87.42%. Clearly the Cats need to spend more time in the penalty box and less time on the power play. Please remind me, who was in charge of the Cats PP last season?
    Last edited by Snively65; 09-23-2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Welcome back, Greg. Always nice to have folks risking opinions. We need more of that around here.

And (no shock), JvR has been better than both. I wasn't making that a big issue - any issue that arose was when someone got their knickers in a twist when I said Winnik and Rod Langway didn't belong in the same conversation, which I suspect you'd agree with, but I guess you didn't read back that far. Your loss.
      Nope. You turned a simple longevity conversation into a talent conversation and took your usual gutless keyboard-jockey shot at a player with a 12-year-and-counting NHL career.
      Last edited by wildcatdc; 09-23-2018, 06:07 PM.
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        Now that we are on the cusp of fall, figured it was time to chime in again. Just a few random thoughts on what has been recently posted:
        No matter how you slice it, Danny Tirone was not a good goalie. UNH has been fortunate to have a lot of good ones over the years, some better than others, but almost all of them were better than Tirone.
        Chuck, Stempniak is all done. If you recall, he was with the Bruins a few years ago and was totally underwhelming. Winnik still brings something to the table, especially defensively. I get a kick out of people dissing him compared to JVR. Well, duh, JVR has his role in the NHL and Winnik his. The fact that he has hung around as long as he has despite mediocre offensive numbers says something.
        Re: Jay Miller. There is no way that Shane Eiserman is comparable to Miller. Before he got hurt his sophomore year, he was considered a stud, a guy with true power forward potential. The fact is that, despite his bad wheel, he made it to the NHL and stuck there for quite a number of seasons. BTW, I was there the night he got hurt at McHugh Forum. He was charging to the net on a 3 on 2 when he got checked from behind and rammed into the goal post. This is back in the day when the posts did not dislodge if hit and, unfortunate for him, he got whacked.
        And who cares who the captain is. I just need to see some the guys get better and get better in a hurry.
        Agreed 100% on the captaincy call. Too much confusing of correlation vs. causation going on around here. Who the captain is is probably not in the top 10 of priorities In terms of this medium-to-long-term attempted return to prominence.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Winnik update:

https://lwosports.com/2018/09/22/dan...s-looks-solid/

Hope he’s out there next weekend v the Flyers; going for my (60th!!) bday (eeek)
          That’s not possible, HR!! Not a day over 39, you.

Happy early birthday!! Hope we can sneak up there for a few this year. Otherwise I’ll guide my “seat-sitters” to the Pom-pom and you can convert them into rabid Cat fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
            That’s not possible, HR!! Not a day over 39, you.

Happy early birthday!! Hope we can sneak up there for a few this year. Otherwise I’ll guide my “seat-sitters” to the Pom-pom and you can convert them into rabid Cat fans.
            Yes age is just a # ! We are actually in new seats this seats over in 105
            so have them stop by Row K! Hopefully you guys (plus the new bundle o’ joy!!) can make a game...And I hope 105 is ready for some rabid cat fan action...😉
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
              Nope. You turned a simple longevity conversation into a talent conversation and took your usual gutless keyboard-jockey shot at a player with a 12-year-and-counting NHL career.
              You seem to be a very sensitive sort, 'dc. Saying that Winnik and Langway don't belong in the same conversation is a "shot" at the former in your universe, I guess? I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest if Winnik himself read the comment, he probably wouldn't give a crap, and might even agree. I'm also going to guess that if Snively65 took offense, he would have no problem telling me to stick it where the sun don't shine. But right now, there's only you, trying to gin up some faux outrage.

You don't need to try to cloak yourself in some bogus, virtue-signaling posture to justify your dislike of me; I can handle it, and I'm not hiding. I am, however, laughing my proverbial ***** off at (not with) you over the irony of someone posting under a pseudonym, referring to someone else not using a pseudonym as "gutless". Keep working at your SJW black belt, 'dc.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I am disappointed that no one yet has questioned my suggestion five posts back that the Cats should spend more time on the PK and less time on the PP, which was triggered by Chuck's frustration with the SMT label under which the Cats have played the past few years (decades?). The PP worked great in the recent past when TyK and Pots were on the first unit, but more recently not so much. In contrast, last season our PK was awesome; who coaches that?

Comment

not to get on Chuck's bad side, but U.Mass and U.Conn (his favorite "they'll never do anything" children in Hockey East)

USCHO Division I Men's Poll - September 24, 2018
                  Rnk Team (First Place Votes) Record Points Last Poll
                  1 Minnesota Duluth (44) 0-0-0 982 1
                  2 Notre Dame (2) 0-0-0 857 2
                  3 Ohio State (2) 0-0-0 835 3
                  4 Michigan (2) 0-0-0 790 4
                  5 Providence 0-0-0 698 7
                  6 St. Cloud State 0-0-0 697 6
                  7 Cornell 0-0-0 676 8
                  8 Boston University 0-0-0 597 10
                  9 Denver 0-0-0 552 5
                  10 Minnesota State 0-0-0 488 9
                  11 North Dakota 0-0-0 437 17
                  12 Boston College 0-0-0 398 19
                  13 Minnesota 0-0-0 387 18
                  14 Princeton 0-0-0 357 15
                  15 Northeastern 0-0-0 345 11
                  16 Penn State 0-0-0 302 13
                  17 Clarkson 0-0-0 299 12
                  18 Michigan Tech 0-0-0 115 16
                  19 Western Michigan 0-0-0 109 NR
                  20 Northern Michigan 0-0-0 98 20

Other Receiving Votes: Air Force 94, Union 90, Bowling Green 62, Harvard 58, Massachusetts 35, Wisconsin 27, Colorado College 23, UMass Lowell 20, Maine 18, Omaha 17, Canisius 14, Mercyhurst 11, Quinnipiac 8, Miami 2, Brown 1, Connecticut 1
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-24-2018, 02:22 PM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    not to get on Chuck's bad side, but U.Mass and U.Conn (his favorite "they'll never do anything" children in Hockey East)
                    Why Watcher Why?

This is pretty much like the one thing Chuck is 100% correct about.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Why Watcher Why?

This is pretty much like everything else Chuck is 100% correct about.
                      Fixed your post, Nick. You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        I am disappointed that no one yet has questioned my suggestion five posts back that the Cats should spend more time on the PK and less time on the PP, which was triggered by Chuck's frustration with the SMT label under which the Cats have played the past few years (decades?). The PP worked great in the recent past when TyK and Pots were on the first unit, but more recently not so much. In contrast, last season our PK was awesome; who coaches that?
                        Hang in there, Snively. I'll turn the chicken droppings into chicken salad, and you'll back it all up with stats.

Comment

Hang in there, Snively. I'll turn the chicken droppings into chicken salad, and you'll back it all up with stats.
                          Sounds good, Chuck. But, stats or no stats, in the dozen or so games I saw last year, the Cat's PK was frickin' awedome, but their PP not so much, especially the 5-3 PP.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Souza coached the PK if I have that correct. And I'd rather be on the attack more than on the defense. This season I imagine Coach G will be coaching the PK, Stewie the PP. It will be great to see Grasso back in that wing slot firing that shot. Until the goalie situation proves it self, we hope to score more goals than scored against...that said we have a good corp of D returning. I think we will see gains mid season, after opening up with a few W's hopefully early on. I do not forsee a 5-0 run tho...and as we know that wasn't a guarantee for anything down the road. I am still thinking we win 15 games. We'll see!

I'm not surprised UMass got some votes. Carvel is a decent coach and haven't they been bringing on some decent players as of late? What did we do with them last year; a win and a tie? Who woulda thunk it but things are changing down there. And they are changing here too. Bring it on 'Cats!!!
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 09-24-2018, 07:05 PM.
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

You seem to be a very sensitive sort, 'dc. Saying that Winnik and Langway don't belong in the same conversation is a "shot" at the former in your universe, I guess? I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest if Winnik himself read the comment, he probably wouldn't give a crap, and might even agree. I'm also going to guess that if Snively65 took offense, he would have no problem telling me to stick it where the sun don't shine. But right now, there's only you, trying to gin up some faux outrage.

You don't need to try to cloak yourself in some bogus, virtue-signaling posture to justify your dislike of me; I can handle it, and I'm not hiding. I am, however, laughing my proverbial ***** off at (not with) you over the irony of someone posting under a pseudonym, referring to someone else not using a pseudonym as "gutless". Keep working at your SJW black belt, 'dc.
                              Hiding in plain sight, Chuckles. Have had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of HR, Aerman, eCat, and many others, including your lil buddy ‘65. (Who, by the way, I wasn’t defending - as anyone can see, he’s just a plain ol’ bad-*^*; I know, I’ve met him).

Trick is, that happens at hockey games. You know, the UNH kind? Come on down if you can get a night off from calling bingo at the VFW and I’ll be glad to debate you over a beer. And if you think I’m a SJW of any kind, you are sadly mistaken. In that regard, (and in a mutual affection for prog rock), we are probably quite similar.

If using your real name on a hockey board that 15 people read makes the man, well cowboy, let me be the first to call you Sheriff! And I’m not about to readjudicate the Winnik point, since we are clearly in two different debates, not uncommon with you. As Neil once said, plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                                Hiding in plain sight, Chuckles. Have had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of HR, Aerman, eCat, and many others, including your lil buddy ‘65. (Who, by the way, I wasn’t defending - as anyone can see, he’s just a plain ol’ bad-*^*; I know, I’ve met him).
                                Thanks for the compliment, DC; I will wear that label proudly anytime, anywhere. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X