Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Errrr, Champions of October, rather than November, right?
    Does it really matter? Back in the day, his "Champions" status extended all the way out to December.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Does it really matter? Back in the day, his "Champions" status extended all the way out to December.
      I was just commenting on the trend, which might have had us looking to be Champions of September (pre-season), had the reign lasted one more year. But, I do not expect that to happen now, optimist that I am. Back to being Champions of December, or even November, will be an improvement.

Comment

Ara Nazarian’s account of the Dev Camp 9’s experience...

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2018...mmer-camp.aspx
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Ara Nazarian’s account of the Dev Camp 9’s experience...

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2018...mmer-camp.aspx
          Ax throwing competitions? What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            I know it kind of breaks the "don't look back" rules some have placed on this thread, but just for you Nick, I'll roll this out for further consideration and discussion. What follows is the Wikipedia blurb outlining the Greek mythology of someone who arguably had the same career arc as our former HC:

In Greek mythology Sisyphus was the king of Ephyra. He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only for it to roll down when it nears the top, repeating this action for eternity. Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean.

If we leave out the parallels resulting in our hero's fate (I know some posters on here would argue, pro and con), I would say that Coach rolled that boulder increasingly further up the hill for the first half of his UNH career, right up until Buffalo in 2003. After that, he could only get that boulder up the same hill shorter and shorter distances from the top, until the end when he couldn't even get it moving at all.

Having said that … even in his final season, he was able to maintain "Champions of November" form.

Ironic and/or fitting, your call ...
            Sisyphus, not a bad analogy. and the following will show you just how heavy that rock became.
            In the last 20 years (since that year! yeah we all remember it) UNH has averaged 131 goals per year. If we break that down into 5 year increments we can really see how heavy the rock became.
            98 - 02 we had a 150 goal a year average.
            03 - 07 we had a 139 goal average. And 2 HE titles, alone or shared.
            08 - 12 we slipped to 122
            and the past 5 years 13 - 17 we continued the downward trend to 114. Yes, way better goal tending across HE the past 5-10 years, but you gotta score to win.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
              Sisyphus, not a bad analogy. and the following will show you just how heavy that rock became.
              In the last 20 years (since that year! yeah we all remember it) UNH has averaged 131 goals per year. If we break that down into 5 year increments we can really see how heavy the rock became.
              98 - 02 we had a 150 goal a year average.
              03 - 07 we had a 139 goal average. And 2 HE titles, alone or shared.
              08 - 12 we slipped to 122
              and the past 5 years 13 - 17 we continued the downward trend to 114. Yes, way better goal tending across HE the past 5-10 years, but you gotta score to win.

Good stats, ATW. Here are more, based on your 5-year bins ending with the year listed, going back to the 1960s that some of us remember. Besides goals per game, I also calculated goal differentials (goals for vs goals against, which I think may be more meaningful than simply goals). But, I think that the real story lies within the last five years, shown at bottom. Surprise, surprise, but both of these stats seem to explain our win percentages.

5 bins W% GPG Goal Diff

1967-68 0.56 4.55 +24
              1972-73 0.68 5.42 +48.8
              1977-78 0.69 6.07 +64.6
              1982-83 0.59 5.11 +25.6
              1987-88 0.33 4.03 -33.2
              1992-93 0.53 4.02 +10
              1997-98 0.63 4.34 +36.6
              2002-03 0.72 3.76 +55
              2007-08 0.64 3.47 +36
              2012-13 0.57 3.16 +15.6
              2017-18 0.45 2.92 -.02

2013-14 0.55 3.07 +26
              2014-15 0.50 2.98 +10
              2015-16 0.38 3.03 -9
              2016-17 0.44 3.10 -12
              2017-18 0.36 2.92 -16
              Last edited by Snively65; 07-24-2018, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Apples to Oranges

Scoring has been down over the past 15+ years. Point well taken on the past 3 years but we were in top tier on offense until the last 3-5 years.

Comment

Depends on ones definition of 'top' - a quick check while grocery shopping shows UNH hasn't finished in the top ten in scoring in ten seasons (2007-08). With only three other finishes at the very back end of the top-15 (top 25%)...

So they've pretty much been a middle 50% to lower scoring team for at least a decade. And that is ancient history. Goals for was the crucial problem last year (not the defensemen) and is the concern this year and that's really all that matters...
                  Last edited by Dan; 07-24-2018, 06:12 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

I know I am a big time UMaine fan... But I lost a family member that was a huge UNH fan. Rest in peace Erin.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      I know I am a big time UMaine fan... But I lost a family member that was a huge UNH fan. Rest in peace Erin.
                      Sorry for your loss, and condolences to you and your family.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        So sorry for you loss...and heard about UMaine losing that football player as well...
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Good stats, ATW. Here are more, based on your 5-year bins ending with the year listed, going back to the 1960s that some of us remember. Besides goals per game, I also calculated goal differentials (goals for vs goals against, which I think may be more meaningful than simply goals). But, I think that the real story lies within the last five years, shown at bottom. Surprise, surprise, but both of these stats seem to explain our win percentages.

5 bins W% GPG Goal Diff

1967-68 0.56 4.55 +24
                          1972-73 0.68 5.42 +48.8
                          1977-78 0.69 6.07 +64.6
                          1982-83 0.59 5.11 +25.6
                          1987-88 0.33 4.03 -33.2
                          1992-93 0.53 4.02 +10
                          1997-98 0.63 4.34 +36.6
                          2002-03 0.72 3.76 +55
                          2007-08 0.64 3.47 +36
                          2012-13 0.57 3.16 +15.6
                          2017-18 0.45 2.92 -.02

2013-14 0.55 3.07 +26
                          2014-15 0.50 2.98 +10
                          2015-16 0.38 3.03 -9
                          2016-17 0.44 3.10 -12
                          2017-18 0.36 2.92 -16
                          Back at you Snively, nice job.
                          I also looked at how many 1 goal losses this team had after scoring only 88 goals. I believe it was 9 and if you add 2 that they lost in OT that is 11. Plus 6 ties. This team was in a lot more games than it felt like. Or maybe beclose and losing was the real cause of pain as we exited various arenas.
                          With that in hand and a very green freshman class, that I think will prove to be one of the best in years, I have projected 48 more goals from the returning upperclassmen and the freshmen. That moves us to 118 (yes very optimistic) and now Snively 65, I am willing to say ...we will win more that we lose.

Comment

OK, a PSA for STH's ---

If you re-ordered your tickets online, check your receipt on the website. It seems that they ARE including tickets for an exhibition game scheduled for 10/6? Obviously someone knows something that we don't know??
                            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              Back at you Snively, nice job.
                              I also looked at how many 1 goal losses this team had after scoring only 88 goals. I believe it was 9 and if you add 2 that they lost in OT that is 11. Plus 6 ties. This team was in a lot more games than it felt like. Or maybe beclose and losing was the real cause of pain as we exited various arenas.
                              With that in hand and a very green freshman class, that I think will prove to be one of the best in years, I have projected 48 more goals from the returning upperclassmen and the freshmen. That moves us to 118 (yes very optimistic) and now Snively 65, I am willing to say ...we will win more that we lose.
                              Ha, ha, ha, ATW; you are even more optimistic than I or HR. I am still taking the over on 14.5 wins, with perhaps a 0.500 record, such as 15-15-4.

Trivia quiz, based on your last sentence: what Boston sports manager said that his team would win more games than it would lose?

Comment

Ha, ha, ha, ATW; you are even more optimistic than I or HR. I am still taking the over on 14.5 wins, with perhaps a 0.500 record, such as 15-15-4.

Trivia quiz, based on your last sentence: what Boston sports manager said that his team would win more games than it would lose?
                                Whitey Bulger? haha No, here's the answer. And, yes, I looked it up....

http://lonepinesports.bangordailynew...ossible-dream/
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X