Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Bump. Exactly 10 weeks until the puck drops in Hamilton; who's drivin' out?
    Poking it with a stick...but having just come back from a trip to Niagara Falls hmmmm dunno. Just abit of a hike but I have travelled farther for a hockey game. Would be more inclined to travel to Colorado Springs...not to impugn the Colgate folks! Think I’ve already scheduled a game that day anyway.

Ps just read they (Colgate) are seeking an asst Coach
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 08-04-2018, 07:59 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Poking it with a stick...but having just come back from a trip to Niagara Falls hmmmm dunno. Just abit of a hike but I have travelled farther for a hockey game. Would be more inclined to travel to Colorado Springs...not to impugn the Colgate folks! Think I’ve already scheduled a game that day anyway.
      As someone who has traveled those seemingly endless and often uneventful miles all across Upstate NY for many years, I get the sense you're tapping out due to "Thruway Malaise", eh 'Ref?

The place just hasn't been the same since the Canal became irrelevant ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        As someone who has traveled those seemingly endless and often uneventful miles all across Upstate NY for many years, I get the sense you're tapping out due to "Thruway Malaise", eh 'Ref?

Ah, Deliverance Country! Where would you rather be? Durham, New Hampshire or Hamilton, New York?
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          Ah, Deliverance Country! Where would you rather be? Durham, New Hampshire or Hamilton, New York?
          Is that even a question....😉 And to make the trip worthwhile I’d have to take a day off so hmmm do they have a decent feed? Asking for a friend...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Sales tax v liquor stores on the interstate?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Yeah I mean the trip we just took to Niagara Falls sealed that deal lol. Love my ‘Cats but a 5 hr trip to??? Oh wait I went to Yale last season and UMass (which was long enough)...nah going to pass! Save up for the UVM weekend!

Ps Isn’t the Frozen 4 in Buffalo this season? That trip I’d consider but you know who will have to be in it..
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Sales tax v liquor stores on the interstate?
                A Jim Beam handle in Maine is around $30 and in the great state of New Hampshire around $21. Go figure!
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Ps Isn’t the Frozen 4 in Buffalo this season? That trip I’d consider but you know who will have to be in it..
                  Yeah, Buffalo it is, indeed. Right after St. Paul, in the same sequence that happened back in 2002 and 2003, when our favorite program made their last two ill-fated treks to the FF. In '02 it was a Thursday afternoon choke-slam by UMaine, and then in '03 it was the Vanek Show in the 3rd period in Buffalo.

Back in '03 IIRC the area near the then-HSBC Arena (now KeyBank Arena) in Buffalo was pretty sparse in terms of watering holes and other pre-/post-game entertainment options, but my understanding is that area has since improved over the years. Back in '03 the old arena (The Aud) was still standing, not too far away, and most of the areas around the new and abandoned arenas were parking lots/ramps. Buffalo itself seems to have been improving in general as well. During the '03 FF, the folks I visited with spent the day off in between up at the Falls (anyone doing so these days, don't forget your passport, the US side is dismal compared to the views across the border, plus the entertainment options are better, if a bit over the top at times).

For the 48+ hours between the SF win over Cornell and the Finals, it was fun to think that Coach Umile and the 'Cats were finally going to win the whole enchilada. That belief was somewhat aided in meeting up with a bunch of USCHO friends from Minnesota, who we'd met on their home turf the previous April. Fun times, for sure, but those Goph guys were downplaying their chances quite a bit (for reasons I no longer recall). Then, of course, Lucy pulled the football out of Charlie Brown's path …

Things I'd forgotten about the '03 FF include the fact Cornell was the top seed entering the tourney, and how comfortably UNH had gotten there with two strong Regionals wins in Worcester leading into that.

TODAY'S OFF-SEASON WAY-BACK TRIVIA QUIZ: Two UNH players were named to the '03 Frozen Four All-Tourney Team. One was no surprise, Steve Saviano. The other one was a surprise. Name him?
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Yeah, Buffalo it is, indeed. Right after St. Paul, in the same sequence that happened back in 2002 and 2003, when our favorite program made their last two ill-fated treks to the FF. In '02 it was a Thursday afternoon choke-slam by UMaine, and then in '03 it was the Vanek Show in the 3rd period in Buffalo.

Back in '03 IIRC the area near the then-HSBC Arena (now KeyBank Arena) in Buffalo was pretty sparse in terms of watering holes and other pre-/post-game entertainment options, but my understanding is that area has since improved over the years. Back in '03 the old arena (The Aud) was still standing, not too far away, and most of the areas around the new and abandoned arenas were parking lots/ramps. Buffalo itself seems to have been improving in general as well. During the '03 FF, the folks I visited with spent the day off in between up at the Falls (anyone doing so these days, don't forget your passport, the US side is dismal compared to the views across the border, plus the entertainment options are better, if a bit over the top at times).

For the 48+ hours between the SF win over Cornell and the Finals, it was fun to think that Coach Umile and the 'Cats were finally going to win the whole enchilada. That belief was somewhat aided in meeting up with a bunch of USCHO friends from Minnesota, who we'd met on their home turf the previous April. Fun times, for sure, but those Goph guys were downplaying their chances quite a bit (for reasons I no longer recall). Then, of course, Lucy pulled the football out of Charlie Brown's path …

Things I'd forgotten about the '03 FF include the fact Cornell was the top seed entering the tourney, and how comfortably UNH had gotten there with two strong Regionals wins in Worcester leading into that.

TODAY'S OFF-SEASON WAY-BACK TRIVIA QUIZ: Two UNH players were named to the '03 Frozen Four All-Tourney Team. One was no surprise, Steve Saviano. The other one was a surprise. Name him?
                    A surprise because it should have been Ayers.

Comment

A surprise because it should have been Ayers.
                      A surprise because he was only in a position to be recognized because of the injury to Lanny Gare...

Minnesota should have been nervous - that was an incredible UNH team (in the conversation for one of the best UNH teams ever and certainly one of the deepest). They rolled out nine legitamately dangerous forward options, who were all in or approaching their prime - eight of whom would score 100 points during their UNH careers, another who would just miss (Jim Abbott), and a player who could have if he hadn't needed to defer to so much talent in Josh Prudden. They were deep and mobile on defense and had elite goaltending. The team was very good. When healthy...

Hemingway - Gare - Abbott
                      Saviano - Collins - Callander
                      Martz - Aikens - Prudden
                      Foley - Hoppe - Scott/Leach

Strafford - Mounsey
                      Teplitsky - Truelson
                      Yandle - Lubesnick
                      Horst - Barker

Ayers
                      Pietrasiak

---

UNH entered the game without a loss to its name in months and had outskated Minnesota, in a tie and win, to start the season in Durham...

With the NCAA Championship tied midway through the third period, I think it's fair to wonder if a healthy Lanny Gare changes the result. The game got away from UNH clearly - but they were toe-to-tie with MN even without Gare, until Vanek's goal cost them their focus for a four-minute stretch.

It's not unreasonable to think they may have walked into the third period with a lead had they not been without their leading scorer - who was playing at an elite level that year offensively and defensively. Gare posted 2-3--5 in the previous meetings that season. At the very least he would have drawn a lot of Gopher attention.

Also of note, that season's FR class was pretty poor - with the exception of Yandle and Pietrasiak (who played just two games as the back-up goalie). A better group may have led to a better fourth-line, giving the top nine (especially without Gare) better wind late in the game. As it was the fourth line usually included at least a pair (if not all three) of converted defensemen in Tyler Scott, Matt Hoppe, Tim Horst or Robbie Barker...

Losing Gare weakened each of the first three lines, and resulted in a fourth-line for the title game of Scott-Horst-Barker. Which means they were essentially playing (a downgraded) three lines versus four...

The team really could have used a SO Eddie Caron too - who would have immediately given the fourth-line an upgrade, pairing with Patrick Foley to give the fourth-line a chance at two physical, 20-point scorers who could have faced off against anyone regardless of whether Scott/Hoppe/Leach were riding shot-gun...
                      Last edited by Dan; 08-05-2018, 12:23 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        A surprise because he was only in a position to be recognized because of the injury to Lanny Gare...

Minnesota should have been nervous - that was an incredible UNH team (in the conversation for one of the best UNH teams ever and certainly one of the deepest). They rolled out nine legitamately dangerous forward options, who were all in or approaching their prime - eight of whom would score 100 points during their UNH careers, another who would just miss (Jim Abbott), and a player who could have if he hadn't needed to defer to so much talent in Josh Prudden. They were deep and mobile on defense and had elite goaltending. The team was very good. When healthy...

Hemingway - Gare - Abbott
                        Saviano - Collins - Callander
                        Martz - Aikens - Prudden
                        Foley - Hoppe - Scott/Leach

Strafford - Mounsey
                        Teplitsky - Truelson
                        Yandle - Lubesnick
                        Horst - Barker

Ayers
                        Pietrasiak

---

UNH entered the game without a loss to its name in months and had outskated Minnesota, in a tie and win, to start the season in Durham...

With the NCAA Championship tied midway through the third period, I think it's fair to wonder if a healthy Lanny Gare changes the result. The game got away from UNH clearly - but they were toe-to-tie with MN even without Gare, until Vanek's goal cost them their focus for a four-minute stretch.

It's not unreasonable to think they may have walked into the third period with a lead had they not been without their leading scorer - who was playing at an elite level that year offensively and defensively. Gare posted 2-3--5 in the previous meetings that season. At the very least he would have drawn a lot of Gopher attention.

Also of note, that season's FR class was pretty poor - with the exception of Yandle and Pietrasiak (who played just two games as the back-up goalie). A better group may have led to a better fourth-line, giving the top nine (especially without Gare) better wind late in the game. As it was the fourth line usually included at least a pair (if not all three) of converted defensemen in Tyler Scott, Matt Hoppe, Tim Horst or Robbie Barker...

Losing Gare weakened each of the first three lines, and resulted in a fourth-line for the title game of Scott-Horst-Barker. Which means they were essentially playing (a downgraded) three lines versus four...

The team really could have used a SO Eddie Caron too - who would have immediately given the fourth-line an upgrade, pairing with Patrick Foley to give the fourth-line a chance at two physical, 20-point scorers who could have faced off against anyone regardless of whether Scott/Hoppe/Leach were riding shot-gun...
                        Nice summary. Just like I remember it, along with Lanny skating in his gray t-shirt firing up his team during the Friday practice.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 08-05-2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

So, if Ayers is not the answer, who is?

Just trying to keep this thread on page one. :-)

Comment

So, if Ayers is not the answer, who is?

Just trying to keep this thread on page one. :-)
                            The answer to Chucks question is Nathan Martz. As hinted above, he was the player moved into the top-six to replace Gare. I believe he played with Collins/Saviano (as I remember vividly Saviano had a pair against Cornell and Collins scored against the Gophers) and thus racked up a handful of assists that weekend.

Had Gare been healthy, Martz would have played his normal role on the third line (with Aikins and Abbott) and UNH would have been that much deeper that weekend.
                            Last edited by Dan; 08-14-2018, 09:31 AM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Q: how common is it that UNH isn't playing any kind of exhibition game, and, does this make a difference? I'm disappointed because its the one game you get to see all of the players, etc. Plus, we aren't home forever. Wah! Ok, just keeping the thread alive. Won't be long now. Nice article by C-H-C regarding David Sacco. Great comments about him 'chirping the ref' all the way back to the box...haha not that we haven't seen this before. Kind of reminds me of Matt W will be looking forward to see how he develops; seems like a lot of potential there.
                              Anyway...hope everyone has had a great summer. Guess we'll see ya Oct. 27....
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Q: how common is it that UNH isn't playing any kind of exhibition game, and, does this make a difference? I'm disappointed because its the one game you get to see all of the players, etc. Plus, we aren't home forever. Wah! Ok, just keeping the thread alive. Won't be long now. Nice article by C-H-C regarding David Sacco. Great comments about him 'chirping the ref' all the way back to the box...haha not that we haven't seen this before. Kind of reminds me of Matt W will be looking forward to see how he develops; seems like a lot of potential there.
                                Anyway...hope everyone has had a great summer. Guess we'll see ya Oct. 27....
                                REf
                                I would love to hear from others but:
                                1. I believe that we have had an exhibition game for many years now 15+?
                                2. With only 2 weeks of coaching time allowed prior to the first official game, wouldn't live action be a whole lot better than practice for assessments?
                                3. I too love seeing all our boys on the ice for warm ups and intros and then they often run an extra man or 2 in the game.
                                Must not be anyone available?!

Comment

Working...
                                X