Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by Felger View Post
    ...What's next, eliminating body checking?....
    Scarily enough, that thought is not so far fetched. There are factions within both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada that want to do just that.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      Scarily enough, that thought is not so far fetched. There are factions within both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada that want to do just that.
      There is a trend in the litigation community known as the "reptile theory" which plays to the primal safety concerns hard-wired into the human brain (or so the theory goes). But it's really out there everywhere, and it's easy to recognize whenever there is a general play towards the concept of "safety". One could expand the argument, I suppose, that this mindset is far, far more pervasive than just civil courtrooms. But it makes me cringe whenever and wherever I see it, as while "safety" is a laudable goal, it's hardly the end-all, be-all of life. Heroes of the past have not become heroic due to playing it safe. And we now see these virtue-signaling types advocating to make inherently dangerous sports "safer". It's already ruined American football, and inroads are being made in other sports now as well. Can't say I'm shocked to see it just over the horizon in hockey …

http://litigationinsights.com/case-s...ow-to-counter/

I can't speak for others, but one of the reasons I find sports compelling is that historically, they have not been "safe". There is an inherent risk in injury any time you take to the ice, field, court or pitch. I mean, look at hockey … virtual rocks are being fired at speeds approaching 100 MPH at times, all while players skate on a slippery surface that's surrounded by unyielding barriers, and there's 12 folks all chasing after the same rock. It's great, it's exciting. It's competition, pure and simple.

Do the players assume a risk? He11 yes. Does it dissuade them from playing? Hardly. So what problem are we trying to fix? Yours truly broke my arm/wrist necessitating 12 screws and 2 plates almost 7 years ago now while playing competitive sports. I'm still playing - same setting BTW - and I'm over 55 now. I'm not looking for safety. I'm looking for fun and challenges and camaraderie. If I want "safety" then I'll take up curling, shuffleboard or bocce ball. Maybe I'm tempting fate, but I'm assuming that risk with eyes wide open. So are the young top-level athletes, who at least have the carrot of huge paydays hanging out at the end of the competitive rainbow.

The NFL stopped being fun for a lot of viewers when they legislated "safety" by eliminating lots of the hits and basic scenarios that made football … football. I used to live for football, and now I'm amazed at how little I care about it. And that's nothing to do with the Kaepernick foolishness BTW. Endless repetition of 5-10 yard passes where QB's can only be touched above the knees and below the shoulders on even-numbered Sundays, sorry, not interested. PLEASE don't let this happen to hockey.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        ...Heroes of the past have not become heroic due to playing it safe...
        +1.

Unfortunately, the so-called reformers can't process that logic and, besides, it doesn't fit the business model of the personal injury law firms that constantly advertise on NESN and elsewhere.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Am following how our players are doing in their respective dev camps and Angus C is looking promising!!! Haven't heard anything really about anyone else but it's nice that 9 of them are out getting that coaching/exposure.
          Angus has a couple highlights in this video...

https://youtu.be/rQtPIK1vPyA

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Bring on Colton Point in Hamilton, NY, and let's see if he still has anything leftover in net for his senior season.
            Point signs with Dallas and UNH catches a break. Sweep coming in Hamilton unless the new goalies are far better than last years Colgate seniors...

---

In other news third line plug* JVR signs for 35 million over 5 years back in PHI.

* definition of plug in this instance - 65 goals over his last two seasons. Third most by an American in that span (15th overall), tied with Tavares and four more than notable 2007 draft bust Patrick Kane...
            Last edited by Dan; 07-01-2018, 12:37 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Right now in the USA, you have to be 13 years old to play in a body checking league.

Everyone wants to get rid of the "blow up" hit and return body checking to its original intent of separating the man from the puck (not the man from his head).
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                Angus has a couple highlights in this video...

https://youtu.be/rQtPIK1vPyA
                Thanks for posting those!
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Point signs with Dallas and UNH catches a break. Sweep coming in Hamilton unless the new goalies are far better than last years Colgate seniors...

---

In other news third line plug* JVR signs for 35 million over 5 years back in PHI.

* definition of plug in this instance - 65 goals over his last two seasons. Third most by an American in that span (15th overall), tied with Tavares and four more than notable 2007 draft bust Patrick Kane...
                  Great news; more than makes up for not having a second AHC on board yet, I think. ("I could not disagree more, Snively65; you are a doofus").

And, glad that JvR got his likely final big NHL contract, as I think that he has earned it. Who says that you cannot go (near) home again? ("I could not disagree more with Sniveky65 about JvR; why did we not see that effort from him at UNH, and why should we be happy with a player who only stays two years?")

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Uh, let's not get too crazy here....don't forget, our netminders are a bit on the unproven side too.
                    UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Right now in the USA, you have to be 13 years old to play in a body checking league.

Everyone wants to get rid of the "blow up" hit and return body checking to its original intent of separating the man from the puck (not the man from his head).
                      Shhh. Let the old guys make up their own claims about what the crazy youngsters want to do, and then complain about it.

Go back and google 1960s hockey and you’ll see none of the 5 strides full speed hits of today
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-02-2018, 01:24 AM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Shhh. Let the old guys make up their own claims about what the crazy youngsters want to do, and then complain about it.

Go back and google 1960s hockey and you’ll see none of the 5 strides full speed hits of today
                        I'm pretty sure Rule 42 of the NHL rulebook makes this textbook charging, in either 1968 or 2018.

Personally, I don't care if there isn't body-checking allowed for younger players. I'm not paying to watch them play, am I? So let's not make it a false narrative here.

If there's an enforcement issue with the NHL officials, adding another rule, just for it to be ignored like the current one(s) isn't necessarily going to fix anything, is it?

Fact of the matter is, injuries happen, especially in competitive sports. Many advances have been made - with equipment, with medical knowledge, and with some rule tweaks - to "reasonably" increase the safety of hockey, at all levels. If the goal is to eliminate all injuries, then I can assure you, the "hockey" that emerges in the end will look nothing like what we see today. See the NFL post-1950 (Paul Brown era) to the early 90's, and then after with the deluge of rule changes that has changed that sport from a good balance of offense/defense and run/pass to a strong slant towards passing offenses that restrains defense specifically, and hard contact in general.

If you like that, good for you. And if you want that to seep into your hockey, just know going in what you're giving up, and I sincerely hope you enjoy your sanitized on-ice version of the game, which I'm sure will be just as compelling as it's been to us who are now enjoying the sanitized version of the live fan experience at the arena in recent years. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz …………...
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          I'm pretty sure Rule 42 of the NHL rulebook makes this textbook charging, in either 1968 or 2018.

Personally, I don't care if there isn't body-checking allowed for younger players. I'm not paying to watch them play, am I? So let's not make it a false narrative here.

If there's an enforcement issue with the NHL officials, adding another rule, just for it to be ignored like the current one(s) isn't necessarily going to fix anything, is it?

Fact of the matter is, injuries happen, especially in competitive sports. Many advances have been made - with equipment, with medical knowledge, and with some rule tweaks - to "reasonably" increase the safety of hockey, at all levels. If the goal is to eliminate all injuries, then I can assure you, the "hockey" that emerges in the end will look nothing like what we see today. See the NFL post-1950 (Paul Brown era) to the early 90's, and then after with the deluge of rule changes that has changed that sport from a good balance of offense/defense and run/pass to a strong slant towards passing offenses that restrains defense specifically, and hard contact in general.

If you like that, good for you. And if you want that to seep into your hockey, just know going in what you're giving up, and I sincerely hope you enjoy your sanitized on-ice version of the game, which I'm sure will be just as compelling as it's been to us who are now enjoying the sanitized version of the live fan experience at the arena in recent years. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz …………...
                          A broken arm can heal, not so much with a broken brain. One of my good friends was knocked out cold by a former Maine dman in a HS game with a ‘clean’ hit. The head stuff is serious and hockey should experiment to try to get rid of it as much as they can. I’d like to see every level try games with no hitting and see what happens. I like the physicality as much as anyone but it’s not worth seeing players have their lives ruined.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            So what problem are we trying to fix?
                            I assume that's a rhetorical question? We're trying to make the world perfect. "Safety" is the "highest priority." A few years ago not too far from where I live a man jumped off a bridge on I-190 and committed suicide. The state promptly spent who knows how much to put wrought iron fences the entire length of the bridge on both sides of the highway in the interest of "safety." Of course, I could walk to the end of the fence, proceed five feet past it and still jump. And I would still be fifty feet above the ground. I would just hit solid ground perhaps instead of railroad tracks. But, that would only temporarily delay the narrative.

Remember, without a "crisis" there wouldn't be a need for more laws. In order for the government to stay "in control" they need to drum up crises and stoke fear. That's how the game works. When they make us completely obedient and docile, we will no longer have the will to fight back. The next step is guns, and then money. Soon we will no longer be a perceived "threat" to them and the elite will retain power and control forever.

I fully expect this post to be removed, as my wife's posts on Facebook that are highlighted with blue lines along the entire length of the post after she makes a comment that is not "approved."

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              I assume that's a rhetorical question? We're trying to make the world perfect. "Safety" is the "highest priority." A few years ago not too far from where I live a man jumped off a bridge on I-190 and committed suicide. The state promptly spent who knows how much to put wrought iron fences the entire length of the bridge on both sides of the highway in the interest of "safety." Of course, I could walk to the end of the fence, proceed five feet past it and still jump. And I would still be fifty feet above the ground. I would just hit solid ground perhaps instead of railroad tracks. But, that would only temporarily delay the narrative.

Remember, without a "crisis" there wouldn't be a need for more laws. In order for the government to stay "in control" they need to drum up crises and stoke fear. That's how the game works. When they make us completely obedient and docile, we will no longer have the will to fight back. The next step is guns, and then money. Soon we will no longer be a perceived "threat" to them and the elite will retain power and control forever.

I fully expect this post to be removed, as my wife's posts on Facebook that are highlighted with blue lines along the entire length of the post after she makes a comment that is not "approved."
                              I hate to invoke politics on this forum but your post is just right wing bs.

Comment

Bobby Butler and Jason Salvaggio gets contracts with the Hartford Wolfpack for next season:

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news...io-of-forwards
                                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                                X