Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Check out @NBCSBoston’s Tweet: https://***********/NBCSBoston/statu...824556034?s=09
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      I'd go with Stempniak, if I had to choose. More skilled, faster, and played with B's (briefly) previously. Winnik is (a little) younger and bigger, but the B's already have plenty of what he's got. Both have their work cut out for them though, no doubt.

Figured I'd mention here that Henrik Zetterberg announced his retirement from the NHL over the weekend. He and Kronwall are really the last two links to the DRW dynasty years on either side of the turn of the century. DRW captains over the last 33 years have been Yzerman, Lidstrom and Zetterberg. Gonna be a big drop-off in the next "C" for sure. Nice piece from Mitch Albom on the end of an era …

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...gs/1322170002/

FWIW, looks like Yzerman is leaving TBL after this season. The DRW diehards are now hoping he'll be returning to Hockeytown to turn things around like he did for Tampa. Even better, maybe he can get his former linemate Gerard Gallant from the LVK to take over behind the bench while he's at it?

Dare to dream, eh? Now, back to our regular UNH-related content ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Shane Eiserman to play for ECHL team this coming season:

http://echlthunder.com/news/?article_id=1141
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

For some reason I get a Jay Miller feeling about Eiserman. A bigger kid at UNH, gains some weight and can use a little snarl (and some fists) outside College hockey. Toss in a little skill and he could potentially carve out a niche higher up the ladder. Miller obviously used more of his fists with an occasional goal to stay in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Whalers View Post
            For some reason I get a Jay Miller feeling about Eiserman. A bigger kid at UNH, gains some weight and can use a little snarl (and some fists) outside College hockey. Toss in a little skill and he could potentially carve out a niche higher up the ladder. Miller obviously used more of his fists with an occasional goal to stay in the show.
            It will be great to see how he fares..he's always a hard worker, was plagued by some injuries. All of us here have great UNH memories of games that UNH won (and lost). For me? May seem small potatoes in comparison but I'll always savor his game winner V ULowell last season in our opener. Pure bliss! Good luck Shane..we are pulling for you!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Older bro Billy Eiserman only saw a few games over a partial season in the pros. One of my fondest memories of Shane was his getting into a dust up with his older brother in front of the Bentley net at the Whitt three years ago.

Comment

A new season beckons … a new head coach … bringing a new attitude … to a new thread, coming soon …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu1cDksmwKs

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  A new season beckons … a new head coach … bringing a new attitude … to a new thread, coming soon …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu1cDksmwKs
                  Bring it Catttsssss!!!!! Made plans for the UVM weekend already...(and I wasn't going to travel much this season... )
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    I'd go with Stempniak, if I had to choose. More skilled, faster, and played with B's (briefly) previously. Winnik is (a little) younger and bigger, but the B's already have plenty of what he's got. Both have their work cut out for them though, no doubt.

Figured I'd mention here that Henrik Zetterberg announced his retirement from the NHL over the weekend. He and Kronwall are really the last two links to the DRW dynasty years on either side of the turn of the century. DRW captains over the last 33 years have been Yzerman, Lidstrom and Zetterberg. Gonna be a big drop-off in the next "C" for sure. Nice piece from Mitch Albom on the end of an era …

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...gs/1322170002/

FWIW, looks like Yzerman is leaving TBL after this season. The DRW diehards are now hoping he'll be returning to Hockeytown to turn things around like he did for Tampa. Even better, maybe he can get his former linemate Gerard Gallant from the LVK to take over behind the bench while he's at it?

Dare to dream, eh? Now, back to our regular UNH-related content ...
                    Speaking of your Red Wings, Chuck, Pedro Martinez stopped by the Red Sox radio booth tonight where he pined for the Expos and Major League Baseball in Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Speaking of your Red Wings, Chuck, Pedro Martinez stopped by the Red Sox radio booth tonight where he pined for the Expos and Major League Baseball in Montreal.
                      Pedro's breakthrough season was 1994, when Les Expos had the best record in MLB … 'til The Strike.

Thanks for sharing … I missed it, out of town yesterday.

Comment

Now that we are on the cusp of fall, figured it was time to chime in again. Just a few random thoughts on what has been recently posted:
                        No matter how you slice it, Danny Tirone was not a good goalie. UNH has been fortunate to have a lot of good ones over the years, some better than others, but almost all of them were better than Tirone.
                        Chuck, Stempniak is all done. If you recall, he was with the Bruins a few years ago and was totally underwhelming. Winnik still brings something to the table, especially defensively. I get a kick out of people dissing him compared to JVR. Well, duh, JVR has his role in the NHL and Winnik his. The fact that he has hung around as long as he has despite mediocre offensive numbers says something.
                        Re: Jay Miller. There is no way that Shane Eiserman is comparable to Miller. Before he got hurt his sophomore year, he was considered a stud, a guy with true power forward potential. The fact is that, despite his bad wheel, he made it to the NHL and stuck there for quite a number of seasons. BTW, I was there the night he got hurt at McHugh Forum. He was charging to the net on a 3 on 2 when he got checked from behind and rammed into the goal post. This is back in the day when the posts did not dislodge if hit and, unfortunate for him, he got whacked.
                        And who cares who the captain is. I just need to see some the guys get better and get better in a hurry.

Comment

Winnik update:

https://lwosports.com/2018/09/22/dan...s-looks-solid/

Hope he’s out there next weekend v the Flyers; going for my (60th!!) bday (eeek)
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Now that we are on the cusp of fall, figured it was time to chime in again. Just a few random thoughts on what has been recently posted:
                            No matter how you slice it, Danny Tirone was not a good goalie. UNH has been fortunate to have a lot of good ones over the years, some better than others, but almost all of them were better than Tirone.
                            Chuck, Stempniak is all done. If you recall, he was with the Bruins a few years ago and was totally underwhelming. Winnik still brings something to the table, especially defensively. I get a kick out of people dissing him compared to JVR. Well, duh, JVR has his role in the NHL and Winnik his. The fact that he has hung around as long as he has despite mediocre offensive numbers says something.
                            Re: Jay Miller. There is no way that Shane Eiserman is comparable to Miller. Before he got hurt his sophomore year, he was considered a stud, a guy with true power forward potential. The fact is that, despite his bad wheel, he made it to the NHL and stuck there for quite a number of seasons. BTW, I was there the night he got hurt at McHugh Forum. He was charging to the net on a 3 on 2 when he got checked from behind and rammed into the goal post. This is back in the day when the posts did not dislodge if hit and, unfortunate for him, he got whacked.
                            And who cares who the captain is. I just need to see some the guys get better and get better in a hurry.
                            You forgot to say: AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!
                            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              You forgot to say: AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!
                              Haha Scott guess he told us welcome back Greg!! See you soon!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Welcome back, Greg. Always nice to have folks risking opinions. We need more of that around here.

I'll stick to the position that Tirone took an unfair amount of the blame as the program circled the drain in recent seasons. He really never got pushed, true, and that's not really his fault. The former head coach pulled him on several occasions, but every time he did, the guy who stepped in for him pretty much spit the bit, so it was right back to DT for the next game. He had the worst UNH teams in well over a generation skating in front of him for his last 3 years. When he played behind a better team (as a frosh), he didn't get in their way, so has to get at least some of the credit for their (albeit modest) accomplishments. I think time will prove he was an average D-1 goalie - nothing more, nothing less.

I'm just as interested as the rest of you folks to see how Ty Taylor fares this season. I honestly think he's got his work cut out for him, but with Gildon and Maass a year older, ditto Wyse, and the McKinnon kid from Denver now in the fold, I'm hoping for them to surprise. But the program is all about negative momentum now, and that's always tougher to reverse than it looks.

Now … if Stempniak was "all done" based on his short end-of-season stint in Boston, he clearly did no get the memo, since he posted a 16G/24A/40 point line in Carolina the very next season - production that pretty much bests Winnik's best-ever season long stats over his entire career. Both are obviously nearing the end of the road for the NHL stage of their respective careers.

And (no shock), JvR has been better than both. I wasn't making that a big issue - any issue that arose was when someone got their knickers in a twist when I said Winnik and Rod Langway didn't belong in the same conversation, which I suspect you'd agree with, but I guess you didn't read back that far. Your loss.

Totally agree, Eiserman could only dream of becoming Jay Miller. Not even close.

You can shrug off the captaincy decision, and that's your right to do so. But my experience has always been, when a coach recognizes the right leaders, teams tend to at least meet, and more often exceed expectations … and when a coach gets it wrong, teams almost always disappoint. Coach Souza is going to have a real challenge, with a roster with limited returning talent (by D-1 standards), and he's going to have to nail a lot of things to maximize the result from the roster he'll be starting his HC career with. Coaching up the talent is obviously going to be a big part of that. But he can't afford to be cavalier about captaincy/leadership decisions. And so far, I like the way he hasn't just "gone through the motions", and is presumably going to make a decision on his own, based on some degree of merit.

Finally … I want to see Coach Souza put his imprint on how the program is going to play, style-wise. I'll touch on that more at the appropriate time, but let's just say I'm tired of the "SMT" mentality that's been wafting around this program for the better part of the Coach Umile era. I want that to change, and I want it to change NOW, and I want it to change for the long term.

Comment

Working...
                                X