Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940

Thread: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Quote Originally Posted by e.cat View Post
    For me,I'm looking for the team to improve as a group as the season progresses. Not looking for miracles early on as I'm sure there will be growing pains for the players and coaches.
    Gotta rack up lotsa W's early on against the cup cakes. :-)

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Jeff Giuliano goes back to school

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS07/180719638

Jeff Giuliano reached three Frozen Fours and won the 2001 national championship but he never once left the Whittemore Center victorious during his career at Boston College.

"There's just something about this place," Giuliano said. "I can't put my finger on it right now but the connection I had when I came up here, I just wanted to be here and now that I'm here, it's great and I'm so excited."
    Love his positivity and mindful approach to the game! Sounds like heís bringing a lot of energy to the program. Heís right; there IS something about this place...Itís what keeps us coming back.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-16-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Gotta rack up lotsa W's early on against the cup cakes. :-)
    Cupcakes don't know they're cupcakes early in the season! I'll give you UNH'S start last year as evidence.

Cupcakes don't know they're cupcakes early in the season! I'll give you UNH'S start last year as evidence.
    As with the following fan chant?

"Q: Who's the cupcake? A: You're the cupcake!"

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

For me,I'm looking for the team to improve as a group as the season progresses. Not looking for miracles early on as I'm sure there will be growing pains for the players and coaches.
    That would be a welcome change of pace, now wouldn't it?

As good as the previous head coach was for most of his long career, he never really did figure out the part where the team ever consistently finished the season stronger than they started it.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    And if you want to dream about higher end but risky kids, a really small kid is Dzhaniyev.
    https://teamusa.usahockey.com/tourna...3f6d6523000055
    Sadly, the new world order, where we are well behind upstart Penn State.

Evidence of why trying to sell tradition is a losing man's game. Sell the future, not the past.

On Providence also shops at the 02 camp, getting Cushing Defenseman Bryce Montgomery. Should be other commits following on the heels of the camps.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-17-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    Mister blue sky please tell us why
    You had to hide away for so long (so long)
    Where did we go wrong?

Seasoned Veteran
    As with the following fan chant?

"Q: Who's the cupcake? A: You're the cupcake!"
    Good one

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    That would be a welcome change of pace, now wouldn't it?

As good as the previous head coach was for most of his long career, he never really did figure out the part where the team ever consistently finished the season stronger than they started it.
    DU had a knack for burning the boys out by the New Year didn't he?

hey e.cat remember our Big K? Of course you do! Saw that he got married this weekend. Excellent dman and wish him and his new wife well! Carry on, that is all...
    #NewEraCats

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    hey e.cat remember our Big K? Of course you do! Saw that he got married this weekend. Excellent dman and wish him and his new wife well! Carry on, that is all...
    Congrats Big K! Still one of my favs!

Holding court

DU had a knack for burning the boys out by the New Year didn't he?
    Hey let's be fair. They usually kept rolling nicely well past the New Year. But come March 15th it was almost always lights out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Hey let's be fair. They usually kept rolling nicely well past the New Year. But come March 15th it was almost always lights out.
    Pretty much Nick except for the Frozen Four meltdowns!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I know it kind of breaks the "don't look back" rules some have placed on this thread, but just for you Nick, I'll roll this out for further consideration and discussion. What follows is the Wikipedia blurb outlining the Greek mythology of someone who arguably had the same career arc as our former HC:

In Greek mythology Sisyphus was the king of Ephyra. He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only for it to roll down when it nears the top, repeating this action for eternity. Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean.

If we leave out the parallels resulting in our hero's fate (I know some posters on here would argue, pro and con), I would say that Coach rolled that boulder increasingly further up the hill for the first half of his UNH career, right up until Buffalo in 2003. After that, he could only get that boulder up the same hill shorter and shorter distances from the top, until the end when he couldn't even get it moving at all.

Having said that … even in his final season, he was able to maintain "Champions of November" form.

Ironic and/or fitting, your call ...

I know it kind of breaks the "don't look back" rules some have placed on this thread, but just for you Nick, I'll roll this out for further consideration and discussion. What follows is the Wikipedia blurb outlining the Greek mythology of someone who arguably had the same career arc as our former HC:

In Greek mythology Sisyphus was the king of Ephyra. He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only for it to roll down when it nears the top, repeating this action for eternity. Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean.

If we leave out the parallels resulting in our hero's fate (I know some posters on here would argue, pro and con), I would say that Coach rolled that boulder increasingly further up the hill for the first half of his UNH career, right up until Buffalo in 2003. After that, he could only get that boulder up the same hill shorter and shorter distances from the top, until the end when he couldn't even get it moving at all.

Having said that Ö even in his final season, he was able to maintain "Champions of November" form.

Ironic and/or fitting, your call ...
    Errrr, Champions of October, rather than November, right?

Errrr, Champions of October, rather than November, right?
    Does it really matter? Back in the day, his "Champions" status extended all the way out to December.

Does it really matter? Back in the day, his "Champions" status extended all the way out to December.
    I was just commenting on the trend, which might have had us looking to be Champions of September (pre-season), had the reign lasted one more year. But, I do not expect that to happen now, optimist that I am. Back to being Champions of December, or even November, will be an improvement.

Ara Nazarianís account of the Dev Camp 9ís experience...

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2018...mmer-camp.aspx

Thread Information