Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

As per Marcus Vela:

Of course a players numbers speak but despite that (and not to discredit the value of them) I think we are going to see a great year from him, as, I can see / know what he's capable of. I would have no truck with him being Captain, as he's a strong presence on the ice. I think being Captain would 'temper' (no pun intended) him to focus on his game. Could be wrong, but, believe it's entirely possible...

Over all...it's a great bunch of players we have here hoping for a decent season for them!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      As per Marcus Vela:

Of course a players numbers speak but despite that (and not to discredit the value of them) I think we are going to see a great year from him, as, I can see / know what he's capable of. I would have no truck with him being Captain, as he's a strong presence on the ice. I think being Captain would 'temper' (no pun intended) him to focus on his game. Could be wrong, but, believe it's entirely possible...

Over all...it's a great bunch of players we have here hoping for a decent season for them!
      I am not backing down on my over on the 14.5 wins, no matter who the captain and co-captains are. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        I am not backing down on my over on the 14.5 wins, no matter who the captain and co-captains are. :-)
        Me neither...in for 15.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Let's leave the Captain pick to Coach Souza and his staff, and leave it open to underclassmen.

I honestly don't see any no-brainer, standout candidates among the senior class anyway.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            I like that he has a BC background.
            Never in a million years would i have thought of him. But I like it. He is young, passionate and potentially well connected. We will see how that translates to recruiting but those characteristics as what young plays want to feel. Wanted some D-man experience but willing to watch for a year. Just now noticed that our man Patrick Grasso is listed on the roster as a So.! Thought they might get that through. Hurt twice in a year is always a help on close calls.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
              Never in a million years would i have thought of him. But I like it. He is young, passionate and potentially well connected. We will see how that translates to recruiting but those characteristics as what young plays want to feel. Wanted some D-man experience but willing to watch for a year. Just now noticed that our man Patrick Grasso is listed on the roster as a So.! Thought they might get that through. Hurt twice in a year is always a help on close calls.
              You can hear his basic philosophy about what he’s looking for in a potential recruit by visiting UNH wildcats.com as they did a brief interview. And I’m betting our blogger C-H-C is on the task of find out more about him!
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                You can hear his basic philosophy about what he’s looking for in a potential recruit by visiting UNH wildcats.com as they did a brief interview. And I’m betting our blogger C-H-C is on the task of find out more about him!
                Short clips, but love that he mentioned skill and skating as main attributes, and later threw in compete. Enough character players or big defenders. Get guys with skill, and then see if there are marginal benefits elsewhere. And thank god they got rid of that stupid "UNH alum provides advantage, etc." corny storyline (though they still focus on him being a NH guy -- who cares. McCloskey was a Maine HS coach and Brown assistant).

Get him on the road, sell his guys. Leave picnic early to get to the Select 15 camp, pick out 4 kids to make immediate offers to as part of your first recruiting wave.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                  With all due respect, and in fairness to this kid....just because he hasnt been the player you expected him to be ( how many times did you evaluate him prior to UNH?) it does not necessarily mean he is a poor teammate, friend, or leader. It does not necessarily mean he he isnt a hard worker or a good student. It doesnt necessarily mean he hasnt given everything he has to the program.

Maybe he ends up a captain, maybe not.

Maybe hes a good option, maybe he isnt.

Maybe he is a hell of a guy, maybe not.

But the point is, whether he is or isnt, there is a very high likelihood that it has absolutely diddly to do with the fact that he hasnt lived up to your expectations on the ice, which may or may not have been reasonable if you had seen him play prior to UNH.
                  OK let's discuss this in a little further detail. One thing you are 100% right about, I never saw the kid play live before he came to UNH. But I did know that he was a 7th round (low) NHL draft pick, so someone(s) out there thought he had the potential to play at the top level. So let's start there.

Now he arrives at UNH, and he puts together a decent-but-not-eye-popping freshman season where he goes 7G - 9A - with a -8 plus/minus. You would like to think that's the start of a pretty decent UNH career for the kid … but in the two seasons since, he hasn't matched that output (year before last he missed more games due to injury, but prorated figures don't tell us he was on a pace to surpass), and has either maintained or backed up a little bit in all categories, except for a small +/- improvement. But ask most UNH observers, and they will tell you his most noticeable trait has been taking untimely and/or dumb penalties.

There are lots of nice people who are terrific teammates and friends, give everything they have within them to the program, and who work hard and post good grades. None of that necessarily makes you a good leader. I want someone who can either lead by example, or lead (in a positive way) by the sheer force of their personality. And I've seen nothing over the span of the last three seasons that's ever made me stop to pause and say, hey, that Vela kid looks like he's future Captain material.

The good news for Vela is that, if selected this season, he wouldn't even be close to the worst "C" selection UNH has made since Coach Umile went into semi-retirement. They only "got it right" once during the three year Long Goodbye, and most of us on here knew that instinctively the moment they announced it. The other two choices I'm sure were well-intentioned, but likewise most of us on here knew immediately they were not great choices. The records of the respective teams, whether by coincidence or not, reflected the best of the three seasons with the best Captain choice. For whatever that's worth.

Coach Souza brought all of these kids into the program, so he knows best what these kids are all about, and who would make the best leader(s). Personally, I would lean towards sending a strong merit-based message to the team, and pick from either Gildon or Maass, who were standouts on a crappy team last year, and were two top pairing guys from Day One right through the end of the season. Especially if one (or both) of these guys were sold on UNH in part because of some promise or chance of future leadership. Don't just hand it to a borderline senior or upperclassman because he has a nice "story", or seems glib in dealing with what little media still even cares about the program (notice no Guiliano coverage on USCHO to date?). Use it to reward AND motivate one of your best players to become even more, on AND off the ice. Give that player(s) an extra year or two to become an unofficial link or draw for other recruits still out there that he might have some pull with, showing them how the new coach thinks a little differently. I hate when Captaincy becomes an entitlement or a misguided popularity contest.

IIRC our friends up in Orono picked a soph as one of their captains last season, and a junior as one of their alternate captains. Patrick Foley was still the best Captain UNH ever had, and he had a letter for three seasons (A as an injury redshirt soph, and C as a junior and senior). It seemed to work out well in those scenarios, so why not now with this team, which is lacking in any obvious candidates?

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

https://www.uscho.com/2018/07/11/for...sistant-coach/
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

At the cookout most of the team here (Sato/Engaras/Boyd/Blackburn) are not) Great speech by Coach Souza and Stewie and Coach G are at the Selects 16 (if I have that name right).

Souza talked about Coach G’s background and was pumped about him joining and joked that he hoped that fans would be “ok with his BC” past. He also said while in Europe he played D and coached the D for the Monarchs so there’s that...

And...nice to meet you Scott!!
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-13-2018, 05:55 PM.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Been interviewing former UNH players who played for Coach Giuliano with the Manchester Monarchs. One of their insights: Giuliano has been coaching the defensemen and penalty kill.
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Thanks, Mike. Good to hear that Giuliano has been coaching D and the PP; I wonder if he uses two attackers behind the net on the 5-3 PP.

And, thanks HR.Good to hear that Giuliano and Stewart are skipping the picnic for the U16 Selects, which is exactly where they should be, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            At the cookout most of the team here (Sato/Engaras/Boyd are not) Great speech by Coach Souza and Stewie and Coach G are at the U16 Selects (if I have that right).

Souza talked about Coach G’s background and was pumped about him joining and joked that he hoped that fans would be “ok with his BC” past. He also said while in Europe he played D and coached the D for the Monarchs so there’s that...

And...nice to meet you Scott!!
                            Great meeting you too HockeyRef!!

Really great turnout at the BBQ tonight, shocked to see nearly all of the team members there! Yes, it was interesting to hear about Guiliano's defensive background both as a D-man while playing in Germany and in his coaching stint with the Monarchs. Glad that he has hit the ground running with recruiting!
                            Last edited by Scott; 07-12-2018, 06:48 PM.
                            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              ood to hear that Giuliano and Stewart are skipping the picnic for the U16 Selects, which is exactly where they should be, I think.
                              Totally agree.

WAKEFIELD, Mass. – Nine members of the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team were selected to the 2018 Hockey East All-Academic Team, as announced by the conference. Sophomore Joe Lazzaro (Hampstead, N.H.) led the Wildcats after maintaining a 3.92 GPA during the 2017-2018 season. Seniors Adam Clark (Sherwood Park, Alberta), Cameron Marks (North Vancouver, British Columbia) and Danny Tirone (Trumbull, Conn.) each earned "Distinguished Scholar" status for being named to the team for the fourth time. The three four-time selections tied for second most in the league.

Senior captain Dylan Chanter (Armstrong, British Columbia) was one of just 12 student-athletes from around the league to make the All-Academic Team for the third time, while Lazzaro, and sophomores Patrick Grasso (Ankeny, Iowa) and Brendan van Riemsdyk (Middletown, N.J.) are second time honorees. Junior Ara Nazarian (Boxford, Mass.) and freshman Benton Maass (Elk River, Minn.) received this accolade for the first time.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                Totally agree.

WAKEFIELD, Mass. – Nine members of the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team were selected to the 2018 Hockey East All-Academic Team, as announced by the conference. Sophomore Joe Lazzaro (Hampstead, N.H.) led the Wildcats after maintaining a 3.92 GPA during the 2017-2018 season. Seniors Adam Clark (Sherwood Park, Alberta), Cameron Marks (North Vancouver, British Columbia) and Danny Tirone (Trumbull, Conn.) each earned "Distinguished Scholar" status for being named to the team for the fourth time. The three four-time selections tied for second most in the league.

Senior captain Dylan Chanter (Armstrong, British Columbia) was one of just 12 student-athletes from around the league to make the All-Academic Team for the third time, while Lazzaro, and sophomores Patrick Grasso (Ankeny, Iowa) and Brendan van Riemsdyk (Middletown, N.J.) are second time honorees. Junior Ara Nazarian (Boxford, Mass.) and freshman Benton Maass (Elk River, Minn.) received this accolade for the first time.
                                Excellent job 'Cats! Was interesting to listen to the majors tonight; everything from Nutrition to Electrical Engineering. I do believe all the Freshmen were there tonight; (with the exception of Engaras) met a couple of them. Thought it was a successful night for the STH and the team.
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-13-2018, 08:36 AM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X