Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Jeff Giuliano goes back to school

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS07/180719638

Jeff Giuliano reached three Frozen Fours and won the 2001 national championship but he never once left the Whittemore Center victorious during his career at Boston College.

"There's just something about this place," Giuliano said. "I can't put my finger on it right now but the connection I had when I came up here, I just wanted to be here and now that I'm here, it's great and I'm so excited."
    For me,I'm looking for the team to improve as a group as the season progresses. Not looking for miracles early on as I'm sure there will be growing pains for the players and coaches.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      For me,I'm looking for the team to improve as a group as the season progresses. Not looking for miracles early on as I'm sure there will be growing pains for the players and coaches.
      Gotta rack up lotsa W's early on against the cup cakes. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
        Jeff Giuliano goes back to school

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS07/180719638

Jeff Giuliano reached three Frozen Fours and won the 2001 national championship but he never once left the Whittemore Center victorious during his career at Boston College.

"There's just something about this place," Giuliano said. "I can't put my finger on it right now but the connection I had when I came up here, I just wanted to be here and now that I'm here, it's great and I'm so excited."
        Love his positivity and mindful approach to the game! Sounds like he’s bringing a lot of energy to the program. He’s right; there IS something about this place...It’s what keeps us coming back.
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-16-2018, 06:28 AM.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Gotta rack up lotsa W's early on against the cup cakes. :-)
          Cupcakes don't know they're cupcakes early in the season! I'll give you UNH'S start last year as evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Cupcakes don't know they're cupcakes early in the season! I'll give you UNH'S start last year as evidence.
            As with the following fan chant?

"Q: Who's the cupcake? A: You're the cupcake!"

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018 Offseason- Out with the old , in with the semi new?

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              That would be a welcome change of pace, now wouldn't it?

As good as the previous head coach was for most of his long career, he never really did figure out the part where the team ever consistently finished the season stronger than they started it.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                And if you want to dream about higher end but risky kids, a really small kid is Dzhaniyev.
                https://teamusa.usahockey.com/tourna...3f6d6523000055
                Sadly, the new world order, where we are well behind upstart Penn State.

Evidence of why trying to sell tradition is a losing man's game. Sell the future, not the past.

On Providence also shops at the 02 camp, getting Cushing Defenseman Bryce Montgomery. Should be other commits following on the heels of the camps.
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-17-2018, 02:19 PM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  As with the following fan chant?

"Q: Who's the cupcake? A: You're the cupcake!"
                  Good one

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    That would be a welcome change of pace, now wouldn't it?

As good as the previous head coach was for most of his long career, he never really did figure out the part where the team ever consistently finished the season stronger than they started it.
                    DU had a knack for burning the boys out by the New Year didn't he?

Comment

hey e.cat remember our Big K? Of course you do! Saw that he got married this weekend. Excellent dman and wish him and his new wife well! Carry on, that is all...
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        hey e.cat remember our Big K? Of course you do! Saw that he got married this weekend. Excellent dman and wish him and his new wife well! Carry on, that is all...
                        Congrats Big K! Still one of my favs!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          DU had a knack for burning the boys out by the New Year didn't he?
                          Hey let's be fair. They usually kept rolling nicely well past the New Year. But come March 15th it was almost always lights out.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Hey let's be fair. They usually kept rolling nicely well past the New Year. But come March 15th it was almost always lights out.
                            Pretty much Nick except for the Frozen Four meltdowns!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              I know it kind of breaks the "don't look back" rules some have placed on this thread, but just for you Nick, I'll roll this out for further consideration and discussion. What follows is the Wikipedia blurb outlining the Greek mythology of someone who arguably had the same career arc as our former HC:

In Greek mythology Sisyphus was the king of Ephyra. He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only for it to roll down when it nears the top, repeating this action for eternity. Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean.

If we leave out the parallels resulting in our hero's fate (I know some posters on here would argue, pro and con), I would say that Coach rolled that boulder increasingly further up the hill for the first half of his UNH career, right up until Buffalo in 2003. After that, he could only get that boulder up the same hill shorter and shorter distances from the top, until the end when he couldn't even get it moving at all.

Having said that … even in his final season, he was able to maintain "Champions of November" form.

Ironic and/or fitting, your call ...
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                I know it kind of breaks the "don't look back" rules some have placed on this thread, but just for you Nick, I'll roll this out for further consideration and discussion. What follows is the Wikipedia blurb outlining the Greek mythology of someone who arguably had the same career arc as our former HC:

In Greek mythology Sisyphus was the king of Ephyra. He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only for it to roll down when it nears the top, repeating this action for eternity. Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean.

If we leave out the parallels resulting in our hero's fate (I know some posters on here would argue, pro and con), I would say that Coach rolled that boulder increasingly further up the hill for the first half of his UNH career, right up until Buffalo in 2003. After that, he could only get that boulder up the same hill shorter and shorter distances from the top, until the end when he couldn't even get it moving at all.

Having said that … even in his final season, he was able to maintain "Champions of November" form.

Ironic and/or fitting, your call ...
                                Errrr, Champions of October, rather than November, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X