Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 385

Thread: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

  1. #161

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,808
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    so who is going to be the next coach? thinking of poaching the mack new bench boss?
    Arsène Wenger.

  2. #162
    THEY CAN NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    228

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post
    Not sure its totally fake news. I'm willing to believe Jeff was told this information, however I'd be interested to hear him report why Norm pulled out of the running despite there being "significant mutual interest".

    Did Lowell counter with a better contract terms? Was Denver unwilling to meet Norm's demands? Was there protection in the current UML contract that would make acquiring Norm cost prohibitive?

    I'd love to know, but I doubt Jeff will share those details.

    BTW, assuming there was mutual interest here, this is the second year in a row where Norm seriously considered another offer (Utica AHL last season). If he's entertaining these offers for leverage for a better contract, more power to him, but doing this the season after he was given a contract extension paying him 500k per season?? I find that unsettling. Not sure Norm will be the "lifer" we are all hoping he might be.
    The college hockey media is generally terrible at doing their jobs all around. All of them

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    8,286

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Arsène Wenger.
    I'd be looking forward to the first "Wenger Out!" sign.
    Monty

    2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Windham, NH
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason


  5. #165
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post
    Not sure its totally fake news. I'm willing to believe Jeff was told this information, however I'd be interested to hear him report why Norm pulled out of the running despite there being "significant mutual interest".

    Did Lowell counter with a better contract terms? Was Denver unwilling to meet Norm's demands? Was there protection in the current UML contract that would make acquiring Norm cost prohibitive?

    I'd love to know, but I doubt Jeff will share those details.

    BTW, assuming there was mutual interest here, this is the second year in a row where Norm seriously considered another offer (Utica AHL last season). If he's entertaining these offers for leverage for a better contract, more power to him, but doing this the season after he was given a contract extension paying him 500k per season?? I find that unsettling. Not sure Norm will be the "lifer" we are all hoping he might be.
    For the life of me I can't figure out why Norm actually considered leaving his Lowell job to take an AHL job, unless it was solely to get more $ from UML. If he wants to go for a pro job, he can more than prove himself at Lowell in order to get considered for an NHL gig. But since he did do three interviews for the Utica job, I too am inclined to believe that the reported interest between both sides was there. There are a number of potential factors that made him withdraw - uprooting his family, $$, not wanting to do the NCHC travel all among them.

    For a Lowell fan, it has to be concerning that he's been speculated for a job change two years in a row for a non-NHL job. You have to wonder what would happen if a big-time college job at a highly prestigious school with a lot of money opened up that wouldn't require relocating his family, would allow his wife to continue her work at UML, and would be no change to his current team travel schedule... Still tough to see it happening, but Jerry's gettin' old.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  6. #166
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    40,493

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    You have to wonder what would happen if a big-time college job at a highly prestigious school with a lot of money opened up that wouldn't require relocating his family, would allow his wife to continue her work at UML, and would be no change to his current team travel schedule....
    we know. he turned down mack
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  7. #167
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    22,934

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    For the life of me I can't figure out why Norm actually considered leaving his Lowell job to take an AHL job, unless it was solely to get more $ from UML. If he wants to go for a pro job, he can more than prove himself at Lowell in order to get considered for an NHL gig. But since he did do three interviews for the Utica job, I too am inclined to believe that the reported interest between both sides was there. There are a number of potential factors that made him withdraw - uprooting his family, $$, not wanting to do the NCHC travel all among them.

    For a Lowell fan, it has to be concerning that he's been speculated for a job change two years in a row for a non-NHL job. You have to wonder what would happen if a big-time college job at a highly prestigious school with a lot of money opened up that wouldn't require relocating his family, would allow his wife to continue her work at UML, and would be no change to his current team travel schedule... Still tough to see it happening, but Jerry's gettin' old.
    I agree there is some whiff Randy Edsall here... but at the same time I think Randy Edsall regrets Randy Edsall... and Randy edsall wasn’t UConn alumni

  8. #168
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mingya Valley
    Posts
    184

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    2 years in a row with rumours of Norm leaving is not good for long-term recruiting. I never want to see Norm leave I accept the reality maybe one day the NHL will come calling but going to another school I don't even want to think about that being a possibility. If Norm does go is it another succession line like after Crowder left? I would assume it would be Cam's job to lose, but somehow I would like to see Billy Riga from QU get back into the fold at Lowell.
    Tully Rink Rat & UML Class of 09

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post
    Not sure its totally fake news. I'm willing to believe Jeff was told this information, however I'd be interested to hear him report why Norm pulled out of the running despite there being "significant mutual interest".

    Did Lowell counter with a better contract terms? Was Denver unwilling to meet Norm's demands? Was there protection in the current UML contract that would make acquiring Norm cost prohibitive?

    I'd love to know, but I doubt Jeff will share those details.

    BTW, assuming there was mutual interest here, this is the second year in a row where Norm seriously considered another offer (Utica AHL last season). If he's entertaining these offers for leverage for a better contract, more power to him, but doing this the season after he was given a contract extension paying him 500k per season?? I find that unsettling. Not sure Norm will be the "lifer" we are all hoping he might be.
    I was told by NCHC and Hockey East assistants and NHL scouts who are in the know that Denver has zeroed in on Norm Bazin and that there were significant talks between the two parties. As I subsequently tweeted, 2 sources with ties to UMass Lowell Hockey program both indicated there was truth to that and a former player indicated to me that hockey alumni had heard he was in the running but pulled his name out when the pot was perhaps sweetened at Lowell.

    I have submitted a FOIA request to see what additional info I can find in regards to the possibility of a better contract. Hopefully I will hear further.

    I will admit I was mislead if it comes out that there was “nothing to see here” but I believe there was.

    - Jeff Cox

  10. #170
    Also known as the Southern Dandaaay
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,728

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    $$$$, better recruits and better chance at a national championship
    Norm is pushing 500K at Lowell. I don't think money is the issue.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    so who is going to be the next coach? thinking of poaching the mack new bench boss?
    Who’s going to be your next coach? Maybe Norm will bring Jasmine with him to BU??

  12. #172
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    I was told by NCHC and Hockey East assistants and NHL scouts who are in the know that Denver has zeroed in on Norm Bazin and that there were significant talks between the two parties. As I subsequently tweeted, 2 sources with ties to UMass Lowell Hockey program both indicated there was truth to that and a former player indicated to me that hockey alumni had heard he was in the running but pulled his name out when the pot was perhaps sweetened at Lowell.

    I have submitted a FOIA request to see what additional info I can find in regards to the possibility of a better contract. Hopefully I will hear further.

    I will admit I was mislead if it comes out that there was “nothing to see here” but I believe there was.

    - Jeff Cox
    Thanks for the follow up, looking forward to reading any additional details you may uncover.

  13. #173
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    40,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post
    Who’s going to be your next coach? Maybe Norm will bring Jasmine with him to BU??
    AWESOME!!!!

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post
    Thanks for the follow up, looking forward to reading any additional details you may uncover.
    I have been told my FOIA Request has been received and I will have the information within 10 business days. I am also continuing to pursue leads with several western sources indicating there was an offer and serious discussions before Bazin ultimately turned down the offer.

  15. #175
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    8,286

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    #2 UML Baseball wins today and will now play #1 Hartford in the AE Final Tournament tomorrow, in the winner's bracket. Good luck boys!
    Last edited by UMLFan; 05-24-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Monty

    2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by UMLFan View Post
    #2 UML Baseball wins today and will now play #1 Hartford in the AE Final Tournament tomorrow, in the winner's bracket. Good luck boys!
    Go get em boys

  17. #177

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Windham, NH
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by UMLFan View Post
    #2 UML Baseball wins today and will now play #1 Hartford in the AE Final Tournament tomorrow, in the winner's bracket. Good luck boys!
    Hartford scores a run in the bottom of the ninth to win it 4-3. The Hawks play again today at 6:00 pm against either Maine or Stony Brook for a chance to play in the championship game.

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    I have been told my FOIA Request has been received and I will have the information within 10 business days. I am also continuing to pursue leads with several western sources indicating there was an offer and serious discussions before Bazin ultimately turned down the offer.
    Who cares cox get a life

  19. #179
    Ofcl Riverhawk Radio Meteorologist
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    South of Boston
    Posts
    9,077

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by boblav1 View Post
    Hartford scores a run in the bottom of the ninth to win it 4-3. The Hawks play again today at 6:00 pm against either Maine or Stony Brook for a chance to play in the championship game.
    The baseball team came back from a 5-0 deficit against Stony Brook last night, but gave up a solo-HR in the 8th inning to lose 6-5 and end their season.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

    "I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    8,286

    Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefs11 View Post
    Who cares cox get a life
    He's doing his job. You could show some politeness.
    Monty

    2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •