UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

Another sign that the season is getting closer. The KHL season started this past weekend. Nick Schaus had an assist with 2 shots on goal, 2 hits, 1 blocked shot, and was a -1 for HC Slovan Bratislava in their opening night 5-1 loss to Magnitogorsk yesterday.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
      He runs a great program on the South Shore, but we don't get too many South Shore kids to begin with, in fact, we only have 2 kids on our roster from Massachusetts this year. Always the best kids to root for, I miss Joey Pendenza I wish we could get more recruits like that. Tell Lovell whatever you want he broke my heart that Saturday night. 8 year old Turk_Sanderson doesn't forget.
      Your secret is safe with me, as long as you don't tell Jim Mcmahon, Fridge Perry, etc... what I think of their faces.

Comment

Sean thank you so much.
        You're welcome.

For me, the best part was remembering how much of a Sports Page the Lowell Sun used to put together.
        The Sun used to be my family's newspaper in the sixties, seventies and early eighties. That is why I was a Chiefs fan; I always read about the team's games and success in the seventies and early eighties. However, my favorite part of the paper were the comics they carried. I still remember Downstown, Rick O'Shay and then Latigo, along with Mark Trail, Dick Tracy, Animal Crackers, and Motley's Crew, among others.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Not a Lowell loyal fan because of the sun we don't want you

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs11 View Post
            Not a Lowell loyal fan because of the sun we don't want you
            The Sun is a Joke no offence to anyone on the staff over there because they are doing more with less, but they are totally handcuffed and running a bare-bones operation.
            Tully Rink Rat
            Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
            Youngstar
            UML Class of 09

Comment

Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post

He'd been doing well as a coach in juniors for the past few years. As coach of the Boston Jr. Rangers, he was Coach of the Year in the Eastern Hockey League Premier last season.
                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Off topic:

The Lowell Sun has an interesting article by Chaz Scoggins today about the possible future of the Spinners.

Comment

He runs a great program on the South Shore, but we don't get too many South Shore kids to begin with, in fact, we only have 2 kids on our roster from Massachusetts this year. Always the best kids to root for, I miss Joey Pendenza I wish we could get more recruits like that. Tell Lovell whatever you want he broke my heart that Saturday night. 8 year old Turk_Sanderson doesn't forget.
                    I am now officially ancient. I was married for almost as long as you were alive by then. Lots of good memories from that barn.

The Sun is a Joke no offence to anyone on the staff over there because they are doing more with less, but they are totally handcuffed and running a bare-bones operation.
                    All of this. They have had guys retire and not replaced them. Their coverage is abysmal- not because they don't care but because they have no way to get everywhere they used to be. For all but a few HS sports if the coaches don't call it in then it didn't happen. FOr a number of the college ones as well. The SIDs call in info where the reporter used to be there.

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post

Now that name is a blast from the past.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                      Off topic:

The Lowell Sun has an interesting article by Chaz Scoggins today about the possible future of the Spinners.
                      This wouldn't surprise me at all. I've heard for several years that attendance is down. I'm not sure I agree that the fans will care all that much if the team is replaced by a non Red Sox affiliate but short season A is probably a tough sell as it is. The quality of baseball isn't nearly as good as AA.

Comment

Subscribed to this one*******http://gshort.click/isna/1/o.png********
                        Last edited by barongan; 09-04-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

People go to those things to watch baseball? I love all the schtick. That is why it is more fun than a RS game. Those you pay way too much $$ for and only half the entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            People go to those things to watch baseball? I love all the schtick. That is why it is more fun than a RS game. Those you pay way too much $$ for and only half the entertainment.
                            I know what you mean. I love baseball, but the MLB games are getting way too long now. I think the minor league games tend to be shorter, and between innings hi-jinks can make the time go by faster.

If you don't really care about the action and you are just there for a family night out, then losing the Red Sox affiliation probably won't be a big deal for Lowell.

Comment

If the Spinners lose the Red Sox attendance there will be a drop in attendance. Not sure how much though baseball is losing popularity on a whole. It would still be a good bargain and cheap night out so there still might be a market for a MILB team in Lowell, but losing affiliation with the Red Sox might make people who drive from 20+ miles out to think twice about going to Lowell and maybe opting to instead to go to Worcester or Manchester.

I'm a pretty hardcore MLB fan I do buy the TV package every year so I can watch out of market games as well. That being said I do not enjoy attending Spinners games. Between the level of play and the family fun stuff I'll take a pass. I went to Manchester twice and a few Red Sox game to get my fix.

Done with the baseball talk I'm ready for some Hockey
                              Tully Rink Rat
                              Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                              Youngstar
                              UML Class of 09

Comment

The UML Men's Soccer team's match against Harvard tomorrow night will be on NESN @ 7:00 pm

Comment

Working...
                                X