Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMass Lowell 2018: Champions of the Offseason

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    So when does the Fire Norm thread start? Oh wait...this isn't Maine.
    Or UNH where they are already all over Umile's potential replacement. Or 5% of the PC threads.
    Or that one donor from Merrimack.

This was very un-Bazinish performance.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      Or UNH where they are already all over Umile's potential replacement. Or 5% of the PC threads.
      Or that one donor from Merrimack.

This was very un-Bazinish performance.
      ABS. Anybody but Souza. That be us.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        ABS. Anybody but Souza. That be us.
        I know better than to argue that point with your fan base. It's been a precipitous drop.

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
        It will be BC vs. BU and PC vs. NU next week at the Garden as the top seeds sweep this weekend.
        It's kind of like the Big Four era of Hockey East, except with PC as Maine and NU as UNH. Or visa versa.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          I know better than to argue that point with your fan base. It's been a precipitous drop.

It's kind of like the Big Four era of Hockey East, except with PC as Maine and NU as UNH. Or visa versa.
          UNH been in 8 HEA championship games to 7 for UML.

Comment

Congrats to Chris Forney for signing an ATO with the San Diego Gulls (AHL). He'll be joining Kevin Boyle out there.
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
              Congrats to Chris Forney for signing an ATO with the San Diego Gulls (AHL). He'll be joining Kevin Boyle out there.
              Boyle is having another good season at the AHL level. I hope he gets an NHL call up at some point.

Comment

Tommy Panico was named a Hockey East All-Star Honorable Mention. The Hawks also won the Charlie Holt Team Sportsmanship Award.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...03/mar14as.php

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...3/mar14awa.php

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                  Congratulations to the University on leading Hockey East in attendance again this season. The average attendance for 18 games was 4,867 which ranks Lowell 11th in the nation. Over all attendance dropped this season. The Hawks led the league in 2016-2017 with an average attendance of 5,542 for 18 games which was good for 9th in the nation.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...8/oaattend.php
                  That is an outstanding accomplishment! It used to be very low attendance to where you all sat in one section and we could have pick of seats(20-15 years ago).

Great turn around, and Great engineering program at Lowell!

Comment

Well it's on to the 2018-2019 season. Can we go anywhere but up? Let’s hope so!!!!!!

But the task may prove more daunting than we expect.

The prior 6 years were indeed great, with unparalleled success, and have left us, the fan base, with higher expectations. Success unfortunately breeds higher expectations and with it the underperformances, whether perceived or warranted, become magnified. This year is not the norm (no pun intended) that we have come to expect. So this year’s results leave a bad after taste, and I am straining to find a silver lining somewhere. We have come to expect more wins than losses when we play the likes of UConn, Merrimack, UHN, Vermont, UMass-Amherst, Northeastern and even Maine and to be 500 with the elites of Providence, BC and BU.

Congrats to Tommy Panico for his Hockey East Third Team All Star selection, he was truly one of the few players on this year’s team to elevate their game. Honorable mentions to Forney, Dmowski and Hernberg as well, and rookies Sodergren, Baxter, Levesque and Evingson (when he was allowed to play and develop), but not much else. Wall, Edwardh, Göransson, Lohin, Hausinger, Mueller and Master all seemed to regress a bit this year. That may be a harsh assessment, so let me rephrase and say that I expected more from them. I expected them to carry the load and accept the mantle of leadership for the team. Hopefully their performances were as much an aberration as the teams were this year.

Some last musings. UML was ranked #40 out of 60 teams in the pairwise rankings this year. Going from being consistently in the top 20 or better in the last few years to the bottom third of all hockey teams, with teams like Mercyherst #20, Princeton #22, Air Force (YES Air Force!!!!!) #30, Colgate and Canisus at #33 and #34, and Dartmouth #39, and the aforementioned UConn and UMass-Amherst at #35 and #36 respectively. I admit I hope we return to the elite teams of prior years.

Scoring to me is the big issue and especially adding some dynamism to the power play. The last 15 games of the season we had a 14.55% conversion rate on the power play. UML was 3 for 16 or 18.75% in their 5 wins during that period and 5 for 39 or 12.8% in the last 10 losses. Overall UML was 44th at 16.46% conversions on 26 of 158 attempts. A more consistent offense would keep the pressure on the other team and lighten the burden on the defense. As a comparison, last year UML had a conversion rate of 26.97% and ranked third nationally on 48 of 178 attempts.
                    Hopefully we have some speed and strength, stick-handling and passing ability and fire with this year’s incoming class.

As I said in a prior post, I feel we need to attract some higher quality (drafted) players, if not we may be looking at a new norm as the rest of Hockey East and college hockey in general is not standing still in uncovering the diamonds in the rough that we were fortunate to have recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefof78 View Post
                      Well it's on to the 2018-2019 season. Can we go anywhere but up? Let’s hope so!!!!!!

But the task may prove more daunting than we expect.

The prior 6 years were indeed great, with unparalleled success, and have left us, the fan base, with higher expectations. Success unfortunately breeds higher expectations and with it the underperformances, whether perceived or warranted, become magnified. This year is not the norm (no pun intended) that we have come to expect. So this year’s results leave a bad after taste, and I am straining to find a silver lining somewhere. We have come to expect more wins than losses when we play the likes of UConn, Merrimack, UHN, Vermont, UMass-Amherst, Northeastern and even Maine and to be 500 with the elites of Providence, BC and BU.

Congrats to Tommy Panico for his Hockey East Third Team All Star selection, he was truly one of the few players on this year’s team to elevate their game. Honorable mentions to Forney, Dmowski and Hernberg as well, and rookies Sodergren, Baxter, Levesque and Evingson (when he was allowed to play and develop), but not much else. Wall, Edwardh, Göransson, Lohin, Hausinger, Mueller and Master all seemed to regress a bit this year. That may be a harsh assessment, so let me rephrase and say that I expected more from them. I expected them to carry the load and accept the mantle of leadership for the team. Hopefully their performances were as much an aberration as the teams were this year.

Some last musings. UML was ranked #40 out of 60 teams in the pairwise rankings this year. Going from being consistently in the top 20 or better in the last few years to the bottom third of all hockey teams, with teams like Mercyherst #20, Princeton #22, Air Force (YES Air Force!!!!!) #30, Colgate and Canisus at #33 and #34, and Dartmouth #39, and the aforementioned UConn and UMass-Amherst at #35 and #36 respectively. I admit I hope we return to the elite teams of prior years.

Scoring to me is the big issue and especially adding some dynamism to the power play. The last 15 games of the season we had a 14.55% conversion rate on the power play. UML was 3 for 16 or 18.75% in their 5 wins during that period and 5 for 39 or 12.8% in the last 10 losses. Overall UML was 44th at 16.46% conversions on 26 of 158 attempts. A more consistent offense would keep the pressure on the other team and lighten the burden on the defense. As a comparison, last year UML had a conversion rate of 26.97% and ranked third nationally on 48 of 178 attempts.
                      Hopefully we have some speed and strength, stick-handling and passing ability and fire with this year’s incoming class.

As I said in a prior post, I feel we need to attract some higher quality (drafted) players, if not we may be looking at a new norm as the rest of Hockey East and college hockey in general is not standing still in uncovering the diamonds in the rough that we were fortunate to have recently.
                      I share similar sentiments about your evaluation of the players. I would add Schutz to the list of players I thought showed promise; I don't understand why he didn't see more ice time. Evingson's still too much of an unknown for me; I was expecting more...maybe unreasonably so. Lohin's line was the greatest disappointment for me; I thought the regression was quite evident (as was Göransson's). Wall played more aggressively challenging shooters in is freshman year; he was too passive this year. He's the first goalie I can recall who has taken a step back in year two under this coaching staff. I feel there's far too much mediocrity in the rest of the line up which gives me pause for next year. I'm hoping the incoming class will provide the infusion of talent and competition necessary to raise the level of game play back up to what we now expect from a Bazin led team.

Comment

Originally posted by ULowell'81 View Post
                        I would add Schutz to the list of players I thought showed promise; I don't understand why he didn't see more ice time.
                        He wasn't eligible until after Christmas because he transferred from Robert Morris. After that he was only scratched 4 times, which I feel is pretty good considering how much Norm likes to rotate younger guys in and out of the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by ULowell'81 View Post
                          I share similar sentiments about your evaluation of the players. I would add Schutz to the list of players I thought showed promise; I don't understand why he didn't see more ice time. Evingson's still too much of an unknown for me; I was expecting more...maybe unreasonably so. Lohin's line was the greatest disappointment for me; I thought the regression was quite evident (as was Göransson's). Wall played more aggressively challenging shooters in is freshman year; he was too passive this year. He's the first goalie I can recall who has taken a step back in year two under this coaching staff. I feel there's far too much mediocrity in the rest of the line up which gives me pause for next year. I'm hoping the incoming class will provide the infusion of talent and competition necessary to raise the level of game play back up to what we now expect from a Bazin led team.
                          I agree about Schutz, I thought he skated hard and played with a lot of energy which the team desperately needed. I was surprised he was a out of the lineup in a couple of games down the stretch. I think Evingson just needs time but I'll admit I thought he would play more, only 16 games. The big surprise to me was Baxter who played in 30 games.
                          Last edited by boblav1; 03-16-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Congrats to Jake Kamrass who has signed with the South Carolina Sting Rays (ECHL).
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                              Congrats to Jake Kamrass who has signed with the South Carolina Sting Rays (ECHL).
                              Older brother Zack and the Florida Everblades play them on Tuesday April 3. That should be interesting.

This leaves Ryan Collins as the only senior that hasn't signed with a pro team thus far.
                              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                                He wasn't eligible until after Christmas because he transferred from Robert Morris. After that he was only scratched 4 times, which I feel is pretty good considering how much Norm likes to rotate younger guys in and out of the lineup.
                                Understood, I was referring to when he was eligible to play. I hadn't counted the number of games played vs games eligible; thanks for that because it felt like he missed more than 4. I didn't understand Norm's decision not to play him in the first playoff game against MC; Schutz has exhibited a consistent effort when on the ice when much of the team seemed to be sleep skating.

PS - I liked what I saw from Paskus; he was a plus player in albeit a small sample size of games (9).

Comment

Working...
                                X