Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 B1G Tournament

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
    Niche sport or not, the Big 10 made it crystal clear that growing the fan base is not a priority when it became apparent that BTN isn’t broadcasting a single first round tournament game this weekend. (The Gophers had to jump through hoops to even get their games on tv via a regional cable outlet) and the rest of us are screwed (or stuck paying extra for the BTN “plus” feed.) Sure some of us diehards will do that, but that sure doesn’t draw new hockey fans into the excitement of college hockey in the postseason who aren’t going to buy a premium service to watch games that BTN said would be a big part of their programming when the network started. They have a ton of alternate feeds that they use regularly in football season, so just because the conference pulled their NYC basketball tournament nonsense is no excuse for the entire first round of the league’s hockey tournament to be blacked out by their own cable network.
    Remember that the B1G and the BTN are OUR schools. Which means that we should all contact our AD's to try to change it. It's not going to be easy, for sure. But, in theory, we can make a change. And we can point out that if they can increase the fan base, then the odds of more schools in the B1G adding hockey goes up. Simple numbers.

Basically, it's not as if we can all do nothing. We can at least try to contact our schools.

Comment

It's interesting that because PSU just uses their in arena feed with radio announcers versus Student U, that they are on BTN2Go instead of Plus.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        It's interesting that because PSU just uses their in arena feed with radio announcers versus Student U, that they are on BTN2Go instead of Plus.
        That’s not actually why, I believe. The reason Minn vs. Penn State is available free on BTN2GO is because Minnesota is used to every game being broadcast and when BTN decided not to run the first round games, Minnesota jumped through hoops at the last minute to have their regional Fox Sports network cover it. And since Fox has a corporate connection with BTN, they added that feed to BTN2GO for free.
        Last edited by sunprairie; 03-02-2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
          Wow, these are my thoughts exactly. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you a Buckeye? The fact that we agree on something might mean things are coming to an end!
          If we could add audio the song 'It's the End of the World as we Know it!" would be the proper choice. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            So long as the Big 10 remains at 7 teams, I think the only logical way to run the tournament is as follows:

Two week format. The first week, #1 seed receives a bye, and the second week #1 hosts the championship weekend at their rink (semifinals and finals).

Week one sees 3-team group play, where #2 and #3 seeds each host (#2 hosts #4, #7; #3 hosts #5, #6).
            The host team plays Fri and Sun, the other teams play the Sat game.
            Group winners advance and play each other in the first semifinal game the following weekend.
            The best 2nd place team out of the two groups goes on and plays the overall #1 seed in the 2nd semifinal the following weekend.
            In the case of a tie between the two 2nd-place group finishers, there will be no tie-break. Instead, both will travel to the championship weekend and engage in a shootout prior to the semifinal game with the #1 overall seed. Winner of the shootout will advance to the semifinal game which will be played immediately following the commencement of the shootout (after warm-ups, of course).
            I'm fully on board with this, but I think warm-ups should be incorporated into the shootout in the instance of a tie. Maybe something along the lines of having both teams shoot against the #1 seed goalie. Or a mascot showdown.

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
              That’s not actually why, I believe. The reason Minn vs. Penn State is available free on BTN2GO is because Minnesota is used to every game being broadcast and when BTN decided not to run the first round games, Minnesota jumped through hoops at the last minute to have their regional Fox Sports network cover it. And since Fox has a corporate connection with BTN, they added that feed to BTN2GO for free.
              Interesting. Earlier this year I had watched MSU at PSU on BTN2go which was just the video board feed with radio announcers and an overlaid scoreboard. Figured it was the same case.

It's annoying the women's basketball tournament is all on BTN2go but hockey is relegated to Plus.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Minnesota’s games are on basic cable this weekend. Not just BTN2Go
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well, Ohio State could only score it's first 2 on the PP but I think Sparty got tired in the third and then OSU was more willing to go on the attack than they were early on.
                  6-2 final.
                  On a side note we were down to a single linesman for most of the game, one took a puck in the mouth 1st period and did not return!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    Notre Dame plays lowest remaining seed after first round with the remaining two playing each other with the higher rank of the two hosting.
                    Yea thanks. I finally actually read the thing and saw that. My bad.
                    Originally posted by alfablue
                    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Well here we are, gameday round 2 and boy am I feeling the anxiety! I can just tell I'm going to be a bundle of nervous energy all day in anticipation. Plus the Lady Hockey Buckeyes are playing this afternoon in their first ever NCAA Tournament!

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                        I'm fully on board with this, but I think warm-ups should be incorporated into the shootout in the instance of a tie. Maybe something along the lines of having both teams shoot against the #1 seed goalie. Or a mascot showdown.
                        I say we let the Minnesota and OSU cheerleaders have a shootout.

Comment

What a finish! I've got to say Michigan was MUCH tougher this game than earlier in the season and it could have been anybody's game. Too bad the road trip has to happen to ND. It was a great crowd tonight at Nationwide, much better than I expected and hats off to all the Michigan fans who made the trip! I know it was a disappointment for you but at least you were here for your team and that matters.

Comment

Just looked at ticket availability for Saturday's game at ND and not a seat left. Yes, it's officially a sellout!

Comment

I would hope so for a 5,000-seat venue.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I would hope so for a 5,000-seat venue.
                                I agree. I have not been to ND's new arena yet and Saturday will be my first visit so I have a question, do you think it should have been built bigger and if so how much bigger and still be able to fill it during regular season?

Comment

Working...
                                X