Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1001

Thread: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Don't be so cynical. They could just have not fully read the bill and didn't know what they were voting for.
    Not reading the bill is what West Virginia did tonight

  2. #162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,526

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    For guns, yes, it's all on R. I'm talking any issue. No D or R goes for "what's best." They go for "what will it take for me to keep my job?" Right now it's guns and that issue. Neither "side" is innocent. It makes me sad.
    I doubt I'm any less cynical than you, Brent, but "they all do it" is a cop out. There are huge differences between these two parties right now, and those differences matter.

  3. #163
    Gone Wrestling
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    A truck stop instead of St. Peter's
    Posts
    2,603

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I doubt I'm any less cynical than you, Brent, but "they all do it" is a cop out. There are huge differences between these two parties right now, and those differences matter.
    The difference comes down to "the letter C". One is Overt & One is Covert.

    Let's see you try and out-cynical that one
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

  4. #164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,526

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    The difference comes down to "the letter C". One is Overt & One is Covert.

    Let's see you try and out-cynical that one
    No meaningful difference in degree? To use a sloppy metaphor: All autism is the same, regardless of where the patient falls on the spectrum?
    Last edited by burd; 03-04-2018 at 08:38 AM.

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    36,674

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    No meaningful difference in degree? To use a sloppy metaphor: All autism is the same, regardless of where the patient falls on the spectrum?
    Perfect analogy!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  6. #166
    Gone Wrestling
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    A truck stop instead of St. Peter's
    Posts
    2,603

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    No meaningful difference in degree? To use a sloppy metaphor: All autism is the same, regardless of where the patient falls on the spectrum?
    Of course there is a difference in degree. My post was trying be as cynical as possible. However.........let's not kid ourselves here. Just because the Rs have turned corruption into an art form the Ds did not become saints. The lesser of two evils is still evil. The highly functioning autistic is still autistic.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

  7. #167
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    113,829

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    Of course there is a difference in degree. My post was trying be as cynical as possible. However.........let's not kid ourselves here. Just because the Rs have turned corruption into an art form the Ds did not become saints. The lesser of two evils is still evil. The highly functioning autistic is still autistic.
    This is sadly true.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #168
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    29,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    This is sadly true.
    It's meaningless you meant.

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    12,270

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    For guns, yes, it's all on R. I'm talking any issue. No D or R goes for "what's best." They go for "what will it take for me to keep my job?" Right now it's guns and that issue. Neither "side" is innocent. It makes me sad.
    Although you may be right on both Ds and Rs sucking up to special interests.

    I think you misrepresent the outcomes engineered by the two parties. The Ds have largely still done what's best for the majority of the people of this country - and based on the Obama and Clinton administrations do not overly hose either the rich or business. The Ds happen to side with special interests in also supporting interests of the American people - while the Rs side with special interests to deliver great outcomes for special interests. In terms of integrity of outcomes, the two parties cannot be compared.
    Go Gophers!

  10. #170
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    113,829

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Follow up on the gun seizure in Vadnais Heights:
    http://kstp.com/news/families-give-d...4812122/?cat=1

    Mark Stowe confirmed the family has many guns and said they are part of a collection. He said most of them are unloaded and are kept in safes.

    Um........I think Mr Stowe needs to not be owning guns.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,526

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    Of course there is a difference in degree. My post was trying be as cynical as possible. However.........let's not kid ourselves here. Just because the Rs have turned corruption into an art form the Ds did not become saints. The lesser of two evils is still evil. The highly functioning autistic is still autistic.
    I asked the questions because the "They both do it" lament is used in different contexts. Some use it as a conclusion, a passive defense of conduct they do not want to defend directly. Used that way, it adds nothing to the discussion, since it just states the obvious. "There is corruption on both sides of the aisle" adds nothing to the discussion unless it is followed by a discussion of specifics applicable to the issue at hand. Saying that high functioning autistic is still autistic does nothing to help determine which social situations we should place any one autistic in and under what circumstances.

    I don't recall enough of your past posts to know what you meant by your post, buster, so I may be out of line. But it seemed to be a form of false equivalency--an attempt to lump all sinners together. That is increasingly commonplace these days, and it is a very easy but dangerous way for people to avoid exercising judgment.

  12. #172
    Gone Wrestling
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    A truck stop instead of St. Peter's
    Posts
    2,603

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I asked the questions because the "They both do it" lament is used in different contexts. Some use it as a conclusion, a passive defense of conduct they do not want to defend directly. Used that way, it adds nothing to the discussion, since it just states the obvious. "There is corruption on both sides of the aisle" adds nothing to the discussion unless it is followed by a discussion of specifics applicable to the issue at hand. Saying that high functioning autistic is still autistic does nothing to help determine which social situations we should place any one autistic in and under what circumstances.

    I don't recall enough of your past posts to know what you meant by your post, buster, so I may be out of line. But it seemed to be a form of false equivalency--an attempt to lump all sinners together. That is increasingly commonplace these days, and it is a very easy but dangerous way for people to avoid exercising judgment.
    How can you not recall my past posts? Is it because my career output of posts is a bad week for some here?

    I was simply trying to point out that I agreed with Brent. Both sides ARE bad. One side being worse does not make the other good and deserving our praise (or more importantly, our vote). Hell, I've been voting the lesser of two evils for longer than many here have been alive. That being said, at some point (11/16), it reaches at point where the lesser of the two evils is evil enough that I can't accept it.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

  13. #173
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    113,829

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    How can you not recall my past posts? Is it because my career output of posts is a bad week for some here?

    I was simply trying to point out that I agreed with Brent. Both sides ARE bad. One side being worse does not make the other good and deserving our praise (or more importantly, our vote). Hell, I've been voting the lesser of two evils for longer than many here have been alive. That being said, at some point (11/16), it reaches at point where the lesser of the two evils is evil enough that I can't accept it.
    I'll defend burd here. A couple posts here and there are not enough to understand a poster's style, personality, views overall, etc.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,495
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    No meaningful difference in degree? To use a sloppy metaphor: All autism is the same, regardless of where the patient falls on the spectrum?
    If you were to ask someone, “would you rather have autism on the mild end of the spectrum or the severe end of the spectrum,” most people will respond, “I’d rather not have it at all.” And that’s why fringe candidates can get elected.

  15. #175
    Gone Wrestling
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    A truck stop instead of St. Peter's
    Posts
    2,603

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I'll defend burd here. A couple posts here and there are not enough to understand a poster's style, personality, views overall, etc.
    Sorry. A poor attempt at joking. (and proving your point at the same time)
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,526

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    If you were to ask someone, “would you rather have autism on the mild end of the spectrum or the severe end of the spectrum,” most people will respond, “I’d rather not have it at all.” And that’s why fringe candidates can get elected.
    True. And if you were to tell someone "you will have autism on either the mild or the severe end of the spectrum but you must choose," and they refuse to choose, claiming all forms of autism are alike--that is another way fringe candidates can get elected.

    What is much more likely, of course, is that the person who is given the choice cannot choose mild autism because requires him to change a preexisting belief, so he justifies his choice by claiming that all degrees of autism are alike and that it makes no difference which choice he makes.

    edit: OK, I guess I've beaten the autistic horse death.
    Last edited by burd; 03-04-2018 at 12:12 PM.

  17. #177
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    113,829

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    Sorry. A poor attempt at joking. (and proving your point at the same time)
    No worries, man.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #178
    rock and roller
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Posts
    20,436

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    The second article proved my point...Trump is already backing off because that stance was a death knell for him if he kept it.
    Trump's backing off only in the sense that his views reflect only the views of the last person or group he meets with. As I think it was Handy who said, he's a leaf in the wind.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

  19. #179

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,340

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Trump's backing off only in the sense that his views reflect only the views of the last person or group he meets with. As I think it was Handy who said, he's a leaf in the wind.
    That was Wash.

    Last edited by Kepler; 03-05-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  20. #180
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

    You know what I find funny? People keep talking about R's liking guns and D's not. Wasn't it just a few months ago that BLM were wanting to arm themselves to defend against their opposition? Doesn't Antifa, which was pretty much created as a response to Trump's election, wish to be armed to defend against their opposition? And now, all of a sudden, you want to make yourselves defenseless because of one incident heavily played up in the media?

    Talk about easily manipulated.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •