This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

I’m not a guns guy like most gun guys. I believe in gun control and I’ve already gone on record here many times where I’ve diverged (significantly) from the gun lobby.

But I think it’s a perfectly fine thing to do as a hobby. Your view is the equivalent of saying “Golf is unhealthy because it’s a horrible drain on resources and harmful to the environment. It uses up water and drains aquifers.”

It gives kids who might not be athletically gifted like a football player a chance to participate in high school sports. There is plenty of research that shows the skills you learn in sports at a young age can be very beneficial for development. I’d actually be curious to know what the research shows into the behavior of trap and skeet team members as they move into adulthood. Do they have a higher or lower risk of violence or premature death compared to non-athletes? Do they have social issues at a higher or lower rate? What about family life?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I’m not a guns guy like most gun guys. I believe in gun control and I’ve already gone on record here many times where I’ve diverged (significantly) from the gun lobby.

But I think it’s a perfectly fine thing to do as a hobby. Your view is the equivalent of saying “Golf is unhealthy because it’s a horrible drain on resources and harmful to the environment. It uses up water and drains aquifers.”

It gives kids who might not be athletically gifted like a football player a chance to participate in high school sports. There is plenty of research that shows the skills you learn in sports at a young age can be very beneficial for development. I’d actually be curious to know what the research shows into the behavior of trap and skeet team members as they move into adulthood. Do they have a higher or lower risk of violence or premature death compared to non-athletes? Do they have social issues at a higher or lower rate? What about family life?
      Appreciate the rational feedback.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Yes. And yes attitudes like 5mn are really not helping the liberal movement make progress in this country, I have similar attitude to PETA and the Iditarod. I understand their stance and am somewhat sympathetic to it but their attitudes and protests really aren’t helping with gaining votes.
      First, you really need to admit that the possession of a gun makes any situation more dangerous.

Then there are only two things that can have any sort of impact on this danger 1) the total elimination of guns (no this, nobody supports) 2) making people less likely to want guns by addressing the 'guns culture'. While we can't touch Free Speech as one of the country's most important assets...we can affect guns culture by not promoting guns to kids. That's where the disagreement lies.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Appreciate the rational feedback.

First, you really need to admit that the possession of a gun makes any situation more dangerous.

Then there are only two things that can have any sort of impact on this danger 1) the total elimination of guns (no this, nobody supports) 2) making people less likely to want guns by addressing the 'guns culture'. While we can't touch Free Speech as one of the country's most important assets...we can affect guns culture by not promoting guns to kids. That's where the disagreement lies.
        Dude, rifle and trap are Olympic sports along with pistol. Biathlon exists as well. There is nothing wrong with shooting sports under their extremely well controlled circumstances, you are being absurd. And this coming from someone who advocates for strict, Japan style gun control measures.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Dude, rifle and trap are Olympic sports along with pistol. Biathlon exists as well. There is nothing wrong with shooting sports under their extremely well controlled circumstances, you are being absurd. And this coming from someone who advocates for strict, Japan style gun control measures.
          Rhythmic gymnastics and modern pentathlon are also Olympic sports, so let's not claim that their standards are exacting.

Comment

Thought I was being rather clear. Never said that there shouldn't be shooting sports in the olympics or controlled gun ranges.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            I am saying that I don't support encouraging guns in schools - because as these students grow up...the presence of guns increases the likelihood of death for the possessor and innocents around them.

Why do you think the NRA funnelling millions into school shooting programs is a top priority for them. From 2010 through 2016, the charitable subsidiary to the pro-gun group gave $7.3 million in grants to more than 500 schools, school clubs, and school districts to fund youth clubs and provide equipment for varsity competitive shooting teams.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gun-l...ry?id=53962353
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Thought I was being rather clear. Never said that there shouldn't be shooting sports in the olympics or controlled gun ranges.

I am saying that I don't support encouraging guns in schools - because as these students grow up...the presence of guns increases the likelihood of death for the possessor and innocents around them.

Why do you think the NRA funnelling millions into school shooting programs is a top priority for them. From 2010 through 2016, the charitable subsidiary to the pro-gun group gave $7.3 million in grants to more than 500 schools, school clubs, and school districts to fund youth clubs and provide equipment for varsity competitive shooting teams.

Because they love kids. Right?

Comment

The USTA and likely every other sporting organization does the same thing.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  The NRA isn't a sporting organization, it's an industry association whose goal is to promote sales of its goods.

It's a narrowly focused chamber of commerce for gun manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    I think you missed a phrase that seems a bit important to your tennis analogy:

...the presence of guns increases the likelihood of death for the possessor and innocents around them.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Trap. Not tennis.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I think you missed a phrase that seems a bit important to your tennis analogy:

...the presence of guns increases the likelihood of death for the possessor and innocents around them.
                        Looks like US cricket is taking a page out of the NRA’s handbook https://www.usacricket.org/media-release/usa-cricket-launches-rookie-league-national-entry-level-program/ You better organize a protest before its too late.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Looks like US cricket is taking a page out of the NRA’s handbook.
                          What? Encouraging practices directly leading to death?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Trap. Not tennis.
                          USTA only stands for Utah State Trapshooting Association. So...nope.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

LOL: https://www.theonion.com/nations-ivy...uth-1824182185

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Ouch.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Looks like US cricket is taking a page out of the NRA’s handbook https://www.usacricket.org/media-release/usa-cricket-launches-rookie-league-national-entry-level-program/ You better organize a protest before its too late.
                                Why? Are we afraid this will lead to an increase in cricket culture? Students will be massacred in school by high-capacity cricket bats?

Comment

Working...
                                X