This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    PA high school turns down a $5000 grant from the bogeyman, I mean the NRA, to buy new equipment for the HS rifle team. School board calls it "dirty money".

But then the local community, local business, raises close to $7000 to buy guns for the same HS rifle team. And a go-fund-me page is close to raising another $5000. But that's from local citizens, not the NRA, so it's good, clean, not dirty?

I thought the NRA was just bad, evil citizens who are infatuated with firearms. These local fundraisers are good, pure, local citizens giving dollars to the same cause to buy the same firearm? Or is it that some money for guns is fine and other is not. Or is it the wrong people giving the money.

Or is it the locals wanted their HS rifle team to still have proper firearms equipment and training. If it's this, an Article V push might face more headwinds than some here believe because the money still showed up somehow from the local, everyday citizenry.

No matter what, it's a fascinating case study so far.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...grant-rejected
    I’m really happy they got there in the end. Those kids will have a lot of fun and it’s better than them sitting about playing on their phones.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      PA high school turns down a $5000 grant from the bogeyman, I mean the NRA, to buy new equipment for the HS rifle team. School board calls it "dirty money".

But then the local community, local business, raises close to $7000 to buy guns for the same HS rifle team. And a go-fund-me page is close to raising another $5000. But that's from local citizens, not the NRA, so it's good, clean, not dirty?
      Its certainly 'dirty'. Because the locals are taking the same actions the NRA took - its easy to believe they would support the organizations' original stance had they not been forced to show that they favor the NRA.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I’m really happy they got there in the end.
      Looks like the NRA is in good company then.

You do realize that each of the participants on that team just likely had their odds go up of getting killed early?
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

I thought the NRA was just bad, evil citizens who are infatuated with firearms. These local fundraisers are good, pure, local citizens giving dollars to the same cause to buy the same firearm? Or is it that some money for guns is fine and other is not. Or is it the wrong people giving the money.

Or is it the locals wanted their HS rifle team to still have proper firearms equipment and training. If it's this, an Article V push might face more headwinds than some here believe because the money still showed up somehow from the local, everyday citizenry.

No matter what, it's a fascinating case study so far.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...grant-rejected
        I don't have a problem with either action. The NRA is a joke, but that doesn't mean we need to shutdown in the school rifle team.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          The NRA is a joke, but that doesn't mean we need to shutdown in the school rifle team.
          More a cancer than a joke, but yes.

It's not the guns that are the problem, it's the death merchants who refuse to let the protection of lives get in the way of their profits. The Second Amendment and gun owners have nothing to do with the NRA's agenda. The latter is pure profit. If there was one dollar more in grinding people into dog food the NRA would become the fiercest proponent of their corporations' inalienable right -- nay, duty -- to do that.

Anybody who supports the NRA who doesn't own a gun company is a fool and a pawn.
          Last edited by Kepler; 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            I don't have a problem with either action. The NRA is a joke, but that doesn't mean we need to shutdown in the school rifle team.
            Exactly, especially considering the school rifle team is likely using .22 air rifles or something.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Exactly, especially considering the school rifle team is likely using .22 air rifles or something.
              And anyone who can’t see a difference between taking donations from local moms and pops and the NRA is moron

Comment

Rifle teams for schools shouldn't be shut down. But I'm not 'cool' with rifle teams as they are not a healthy outcome at the school and going forward in these students lives.

Guns increase the likelihood of death for the gun possessor. They increase the likelihood of death for random people in the vicinity of the gun carrier. And if students decide to keep guns in the future, they increase the likelihood of those in a household with a gun - for children 5 to 11 yo, death is increased 11x. https://www.vo*****/cards/gun-violen...use-death-risk
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Absurd.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Its certainly 'dirty'. Because the locals are taking the same actions the NRA took - its easy to believe they would support the organizations' original stance had they not been forced to show that they favor the NRA.

Looks like the NRA is in good company then.

You do realize that each of the participants on that team just likely had their odds go up of getting killed early?
                    If they’re not involved with drugs or gangs there isn’t much for them to be worried about.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Rifle teams for schools shouldn't be shut down. But I'm not 'cool' with rifle teams as they are not a healthy outcome at the school and going forward in these students lives.

Guns increase the likelihood of death for the gun possessor. They increase the likelihood of death for random people in the vicinity of the gun carrier. And if students decide to keep guns in the future, they increase the likelihood of those in a household with a gun - for children 5 to 11 yo, death is increased 11x. https://www.vo*****/cards/gun-violen...use-death-risk
                      I’m sure a lot more kids died playing HS football last year than they did during shorting competitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Absurd.
                        Yeah, and it’s not helping either.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          If you're talking about air rifles, then you mean a .177 pellet gun. A .22 rifle, the kind typically used in competition, is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            I’m sure a lot more kids died playing HS football last year than they did during shorting competitions.
                            Trap and skeet in Minnesota had the lowest injury rate of any sport last year in the Minnesota state High School League.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Yeah, and it’s not helping either.
                            Just so I’m understanding correctly, you’re saying the idea that a high school rifle team is an unhealthy thing is absurd. Right?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Absurd.
                              Because I don't think we should encourage young people to take up guns as a hobby?

I get your a guns guy. But I'm pretty sure posters here and the national debate decided that a 'guns culture' played a large part in this whole mess.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Just so I’m understanding correctly, you’re saying the idea that a high school rifle team is an unhealthy thing is absurd. Right?
                                Yes. And yes attitudes like 5mn are really not helping the liberal movement make progress in this country, I have similar attitude to PETA and the Iditarod. I understand their stance and am somewhat sympathetic to it but their attitudes and protests really aren’t helping with gaining votes.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X