X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Guess so.

Sorry, but guns are the problem. We must get them off the streets permanently.
    That latter part, no. People who are allowed to get the guns? Yes, I've been open to that. Banning guns completely is NOT an option. Period. It is not logistically possible without a complete military takeover, and if you are okay with that? I don't want to know you.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      That latter part, no. People who are allowed to get the guns? Yes, I've been open to that. Banning guns completely is NOT an option. Period. It is not logistically possible without a complete military takeover, and if you are okay with that? I don't want to know you.
      The Constitution requires us to allow people to own guns. Unlike many in the world, American society is held captive.

But total freedom is not required for a well regulated militia - keep them at home. We've decided you can't carry a gun into a bank or on an airplane. That doesn't infringe on a well regulated militia. We've decided that you can't own a rocket launcher. That doesn't infringe on a well regulated militia. We've decided that children can't have guns. That doesn't infringe on a well regulated militia. But for some reason when I go shopping for socks...some dude can put my life in danger because he wants to. And somehow that's guaranteeing a well regulated militia. We need guns off the streets.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Meanwhile back at Stoneman HS....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...320-story.html
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          They are already gun-free zones. Yes, you have to look at that also. Yes, it hurts. Yes, you might have to admit that gun-free zones are targets in this mess.
          Gun free zones are probably safer in general — the purpose is to prevent accidental shootings and to keep confrontations from escalating to shootings. Of course a mass shooting psycho isn’t going to care about laws.

Yes, schools are a target for mass shootings (which is a small part of gun violence). Other than the mass shooting outliers, school shootings down since the rise in “gun free zones”

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            So the alternative is to take the right of liberty away from suspected people? How is that not unconstitutional?

If we are really interested in reducing deaths, then we should use the "well regulated militia" and restrict magazine size and fire rate. If the most recent shooter had a better gun, he would have been able to take out more people- but we are never going to do anything about that. Once again, dealing with "mental health" is a sign for doing exactly nothing, because nothing realistic can be done from that angle. When there's a shooting in your school by the neighbor kid that you never suspected of being bad, but you knew them from the local shooting club, maybe you will wake up and get that.

Comment

I would point out two things:
              The "resource officer" had to shoot the person because he brought a gun to the school in the first place.

The presence of that armed officer did not deter the shooter in any way - he still brought a gun to campus and started shooting people.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                The "resource officer" had to shoot the person because he brought a gun to the school in the first place.

The presence of that armed officer did not deter the shooter in any way - he still brought a gun to campus and started shooting people.
                But he only shot twice (or was it thrice?) before being permanently stopped.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Limitation of the weapon of choice and location, more than the "rescue" from the armed guy.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    So we're going to celebrate the fact that he's a bad shooter with a handgun? YAY! He brought a gun to school, but it was only a handgun and he only shot three times! YAY!

Meanwhile in the Netherlands

School attack in The Netherlands – no one gets hurt because it isn’t the US

A ‘school attack in The Netherlands’ is not exactly the most common headline you see in the news. You expect to see that sort of news in other countries *cough* USA *cough*. But we are living in strange times… This last Tuesday a mentally-ill 44-year-old man went to a school wielding two knives. Obviously posing a threat, the students used their backpacks to scare off the attacker. The man, after being barraged by a volley of backpacks filled with heavy science books, promptly walked away from the school.
                    There's surveillance footage of the guy being pummeled with backpacks. He is currently in police custody.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      So we're going to celebrate the fact that he's a bad shooter with a handgun? YAY! He brought a gun to school, but it was only a handgun and he only shot three times! YAY!

Meanwhile in the Netherlands

There's surveillance footage of the guy being pummeled with backpacks. He is currently in police custody.
                      I seem to recall flaggy suggesting after Sandy Hook that a deranged person could attack a school with knives and get a similar result. Some of us logically called him on that, and now there's real proof.

Comment

Wasn't the shooting in Maryland a situation where a student went in targeting one specific individual because of possibly some sort of prior relationship, rather than someone just going in to shoot up the school and everyone in it? Might explain the limited casualties.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          Gun free zones are probably safer in general — the purpose is to prevent accidental shootings and to keep confrontations from escalating to shootings. Of course a mass shooting psycho isn’t going to care about laws.

Yes, schools are a target for mass shootings (which is a small part of gun violence). Other than the mass shooting outliers, school shootings down since the rise in “gun free zones”
                          How the heck are they safer? If you were some assailant that wanted to shoot something up, would you go for the easy defenseless target, or would you take your chances on going after something else, knowing you may end up in a more difficult fight?

Comment

When you get to the point of people who don't give a crap and will just go after anything, then you have a real mental health issue. However, the damage was minimal, as the assailant was met with a fight. With that happening, perhaps the copycats will now think twice about going after that sort of place. Although I have a feeling it's going to keep happening for a while in order to provoke 5mn_major's argument until the second is destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              How the heck are they safer? If you were some assailant that wanted to shoot something up, would you go for the easy defenseless target, or would you take your chances on going after something else, knowing you may end up in a more difficult fight?
                              I know you're a stupid bot, but try to pay attention:

more guns around = more likely someone gets shot. the likelihood of someone stopping a mass shooter is very low, because the likelihood of you being a victim of a mass shooting is very low. There is more likely to be an accidental shooting or for a confrontation to escalate to a shooting than there is a mass shooting. If they got rid of gun-free zones, and any student, teacher, or parent starts bringing a gun to school that increases the likelihood that someone will get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                When you get to the point of people who don't give a crap and will just go after anything, then you have a real mental health issue. However, the damage was minimal, as the assailant was met with a fight.
                                And when the deranged man doesn't have access to a gun he still gets met with a fight (in this case backpacks) and no one dies.

Comment

Working...
                                X